Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club! - Page 975

post #9741 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageNorseman View Post

Ok, I downloaded 5001 BIOS and put it on my USB thumb drive, loaded BIOS defaults, save+exit, ran EZ Flash 2 utility, installed BIOS 5001 and now my processor is fully recognized in Windows and the BIOS...

Some odd things happend to my BIOS though after putting in version 5001... My arrow keys stopped working on my keyboard (PS2 by the way) so I had to resort to using the direction keys on the number pad (num lock on/off did not restore functionality to my arrow keys). Next thing I noticed was when I went to set my RAM timings they were moved from their usual place and now mixed in with a whole bunch of RAM / Timing settings...

Other than that so far so good... Kind of upset about the BIOS layout being different now for RAM timing setup and no arrow key function... how strange?

Here's the new CPU-Z / Windows info showing the correct processor:

355


The odd keyboard behaviour is a well known bug, it is perfectly "normal". ;-)

As for the location of the memory timings, In early BIOSes for the M2N* board Asus used different locations & layouts for the memory settings on different motherboards. Asus later started to change the BIOSes so that they look & behave more similarly.
Test rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 145 @ 4.6GHz Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe 8800GT Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB 
  hide details  
Reply
Test rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 145 @ 4.6GHz Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe 8800GT Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9742 of 12349
Hey Doc. I was thinking of you this morning. Have you done any more extreme OC runs with your rig?

I remember you had achieved 5GHz at one point. In some older reviews of the 965 BE, I was reading some laments that the Deneb cores didn't achieve 6 or 7GHz like some earlier AMD CPUs.
post #9743 of 12349
Hey guys,

I seem to be having no end of troubles lately with my setup here... I thought all was well with the new processor but apparently it's not.

I thought it was a little strange that it wouldn't boot until the 3rd attempt with 4x1GB of RAM installed, but it seemed to run ok for a few short gaming sessions after it did finally boot.

Well I came back to it this morning and started the computer up but as soon as I opened my email program it blue screened and then refused to post until I removed 2x1GB of RAM.

I was wondering if the CPU was getting enough voltage - I left everything at "default" for clock speed and voltage after doing the BIOS flashing. As a result CPU-Z reports 1.2v - is this enough for the Phenom II x4 830? What should I set the voltage at in the BIOS? Do any other voltages need tweaked like the Northbridge etc. ?

The problem could also be related to my RAM settings, but I think they're OK for what I have: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 PC6400 LED Series RAM that advertises 1.9v, 5-5-5-12-2T and that is exactly what I set it to in BIOS. CPU-Z Shows this:

400
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 830 2.8Ghz 95W Deneb Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA ASUS DRW-2014L1T Zalman CNPS9500A-LED 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Samsung T260HD Logitech Internet Pro Corsair CMPSU 750TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Armor Logitech G9x Ozone Ground Level L M-Audio Delta AP192 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 830 2.8Ghz 95W Deneb Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA ASUS DRW-2014L1T Zalman CNPS9500A-LED 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Samsung T260HD Logitech Internet Pro Corsair CMPSU 750TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Armor Logitech G9x Ozone Ground Level L M-Audio Delta AP192 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9744 of 12349
The ram looks ok.
1.2v might be a tad low,try 1.3v(in cpu-z).
Run prime95 blend test for 10-15 mins at 1.3v with 2 sticks of ram,then try all 4,run prime again.
Watch your temps with hwmonitor while is prime running.

Did you happen to catch the BSOD code?

If all that fails try dropping ram freq to 667 with 4 sticks,this may help the coldboot problem also.

Good luck

Gyro
Edited by Gyro - 1/7/12 at 3:19pm
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9745 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho View Post

Hey Doc. I was thinking of you this morning. Have you done any more extreme OC runs with your rig?
I remember you had achieved 5GHz at one point. In some older reviews of the 965 BE, I was reading some laments that the Deneb cores didn't achieve 6 or 7GHz like some earlier AMD CPUs.

A little. I been playing Skyrim allot + the weather has been rather mild here so I have not done that much extreme overclocking.

A few moths ago I built myself a second watercooled computer which I tested outdoors for the first time today (-10C temperature) smile.gif
The computer consists of an open air/test bench built from bits and pieces of black anodized alumium I had, two home made water cooling blocks for GPU & CPU and two old radiators that are originally where used to heat or cool the air inside Volvo 240 series cars. The cooling capacity of this system is rather massive.

Here are some pictures of it:

450

450


I was able to almost hit 5GHz with my new 960T:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2186992

Unfortunately the PSU that I built into this thing is dying so I am forced to use an external PSU for the moment.

Also I did this:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2165172
during Christmas with my old water cooled rig & the M2N32 WS Professional motherboard. Outdoors temperature was around -7C
Test rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 145 @ 4.6GHz Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe 8800GT Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB 
  hide details  
Reply
Test rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 145 @ 4.6GHz Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe 8800GT Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9746 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post

The ram looks ok.
1.2v might be a tad low,try 1.3v(in cpu-z).
Run prime95 blend test for 10-15 mins at 1.3v with 2 sticks of ram,then try all 4,run prime again.
Watch your temps with hwmonitor while is prime running.
Did you happen to catch the BSOD code?
If all that fails try dropping ram freq to 667 with 4 sticks,this may help the coldboot problem also.
Good luck
Gyro

Gyro thanks for all your help,

I tried some of the things you suggested, but if I attempt to get 1.3v in CPU-Z that would probably mean I would have to put about 1.4-1.475v or more in as vCore setting in the BIOS. The difference between the BIOS setting and CPU-Z has always been about .1v (even with my X2 5200+ dual core setup). I never know which number is right... To further confuse things I have another tool that came with the motherboard (ASUS PC probe). This utility usually shows my vcore as being a bit higher than what I put in the BIOS - for example I put 1.375v in vcore in the BIOS, PC Probe states 4.1v.....

I set my vCore in the BIOS to 1.3000v and ran prime95 with 2gb of RAM installed on blend for 47 minutes with no problems, but CPU-Z was showing some really low voltages, it seemed like the voltage actually dropped while the CPU was under load... as low as 1.1500v when I had set the vcore in BIOS to 1.3000v ... ???

So fearing that the voltage was still too low I upped it to 1.3750v in the BIOS and this is the result:

550

Which number is correct? CPU-Z or PC Probe, or what I KNOW I put in the BIOS......

Do I still need more voltage? What exactly is considered plain "Stock" voltage for this processor... that information is actually remarkably hard to find online... even for the Phenom II X4 925 which this chip is supposedly identical to. Newegg does NOT list any voltage information on the product page for either processor and I couldn't dig up anything else that was conclusive... Even AMD does not have the specs for the 830 on their own website..
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 830 2.8Ghz 95W Deneb Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA ASUS DRW-2014L1T Zalman CNPS9500A-LED 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Samsung T260HD Logitech Internet Pro Corsair CMPSU 750TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Armor Logitech G9x Ozone Ground Level L M-Audio Delta AP192 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 830 2.8Ghz 95W Deneb Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA ASUS DRW-2014L1T Zalman CNPS9500A-LED 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Samsung T260HD Logitech Internet Pro Corsair CMPSU 750TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Armor Logitech G9x Ozone Ground Level L M-Audio Delta AP192 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9747 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwizz View Post

A little. I been playing Skyrim allot + the weather has been rather mild here so I have not done that much extreme overclocking.
A few moths ago I built myself a second watercooled computer which I tested outdoors for the first time today (-10C temperature) smile.gif
The computer consists of an open air/test bench built from bits and pieces of black anodized alumium I had, two home made water cooling blocks for GPU & CPU and two old radiators that are originally where used to heat or cool the air inside Volvo 240 series cars. The cooling capacity of this system is rather massive.
Here are some pictures of it:
450
450
I was able to almost hit 5GHz with my new 960T:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2186992
Unfortunately the PSU that I built into this thing is dying so I am forced to use an external PSU for the moment.
Also I did this:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2165172
during Christmas with my old water cooled rig & the M2N32 WS Professional motherboard. Outdoors temperature was around -7C

Awesome stuff. I like that new bench setup!

Any idea what's limiting the top end?
post #9748 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageNorseman View Post

Which number is correct? CPU-Z or PC Probe, or what I KNOW I put in the BIOS......
Do I still need more voltage? What exactly is considered plain "Stock" voltage for this processor... that information is actually remarkably hard to find online... even for the Phenom II X4 925 which this chip is supposedly identical to. Newegg does NOT list any voltage information on the product page for either processor and I couldn't dig up anything else that was conclusive... Even AMD does not have the specs for the 830 on their own website..

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I might rip PCProbe off the machine and check again. I do know that for my M2N32 when I run Prime95, Vcore will definitely dip, and I understand this is normal. Does any of the CPU packaging state voltage range of operation. My 965BE is safe to run up to 1.5V but I try to feed it min voltage to keep it stable for the speed I'm running only because the higher the volts, the more heat is thrown and the stock heatsink can't keep up so well.

Also someone else with an M2N-SLI should chime in here. It's possible the power distribution isn't so well suited for this type of application.
post #9749 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwizz View Post

A little. I been playing Skyrim allot

Me too. Thoroughly enjoying this epic game. Got my Nord up to level 81 and that's it as far as stats will go. frown.gif
post #9750 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho View Post

Awesome stuff. I like that new bench setup!
Any idea what's limiting the top end?

Well, my home made CPU block needs to be improved a bit, as the bottom of it bends slightly when it is fully assemled & I have tightened all screws that holds it together. Colder weather would help too.
Then of course if I could probably get a bit further if I was willing to increase the voltages further, but then I would start to damage the CPUs and that is not something that I am willing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho View Post

Me too. Thoroughly enjoying this epic game. Got my Nord up to level 81 and that's it as far as stats will go. frown.gif

I play as a Nord too. smile.gif

I am currently on level 53 and I have started to have some serious issues with bugs. There is one area of the "world" that I cannot access because the game crashes & there was one quest for the Companions that locks up completely.

I would have thought the limit would be level, 100 though. I suppose they will be releasing four DLCs that will also increase the ability to develop the character fuurther, like they did with the Fallout games.
Test rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 145 @ 4.6GHz Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe 8800GT Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB 
  hide details  
Reply
Test rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 145 @ 4.6GHz Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe 8800GT Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!