Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club! - Page 988

post #9871 of 12343
@SavageNorseman

That sucks about your board brother... did you ever try the ganged/ unganged modes? That's been the biggest thing that's made mine work./
can you run 2 sticks? Would hate to have the new memory come in and see it not run too. And yeah, I can't get the timings down to 4-4-4-12... it's just too unstable/ I'm perfectly happy with 5-5-5-18 if it works.

And yeah, I backed off on OC'ing much more... I was able to get it up to around 3.65Ghz, but that required a voltage increase and it was running hot. I'm sure I could increase the cooling in my case and do better (I have a lot of fans, but they all run slow, and those two 9800GTs run hot as the sun) but I'll just leave it as is.

Plus, leaving all stock voltages (I also dropped the ram voltage back to auto, just seeing if it will work) getting a .7Ghz increase is pretty decent.

Currently going to run a bunch of Prime95 and see if it stays stable at current settings.

BTW, do you the TTArmor case with the giant fan on the side, or just a window? I was just wondering cause even at stock settings most of my components seem to run on the warm/ hot side, and I was wondering if it's the case. (Granted, I do have a LOT of stuff in there now... although I did manage to do some wickedly awesome cable management while putting in the latest batch of components.) (I also have about 3 more fans I suppose I could install... which would make the thing one giant fan as I already have 6 fans in the thing... what the heck, might do that later tonight)

Update: and I did do that, just added two (literally had no more space for the third one). And wow, dropped about 5C.
Edited by theproffessor - 1/19/12 at 2:16am
The Mainframe
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom X4 925 M2N32-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin PC2-6400 Samsung 830 64g SSD 4 WD 640g Caviar Black HDs in a RAID 0+1 TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S162L 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Plextor CD-R PX-240A Zalman CPU cooler 5x 120mm fans (2 intake bottom/ 1 intake front/... 1x 80mm side intake fan 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home ASUS VK278Q HP w2207 Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Hiper 580w TT Armor Razer Copperhead Razer eXactMat 
AudioAudioAudio
Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD 550 
  hide details  
Reply
The Mainframe
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom X4 925 M2N32-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin PC2-6400 Samsung 830 64g SSD 4 WD 640g Caviar Black HDs in a RAID 0+1 TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S162L 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Plextor CD-R PX-240A Zalman CPU cooler 5x 120mm fans (2 intake bottom/ 1 intake front/... 1x 80mm side intake fan 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home ASUS VK278Q HP w2207 Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Hiper 580w TT Armor Razer Copperhead Razer eXactMat 
AudioAudioAudio
Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD 550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9872 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffessor View Post

@SavageNorseman
That sucks about your board brother... did you ever try the ganged/ unganged modes? That's been the biggest thing that's made mine work./
can you run 2 sticks? Would hate to have the new memory come in and see it not run too. And yeah, I can't get the timings down to 4-4-4-12... it's just too unstable/ I'm perfectly happy with 5-5-5-18 if it works.
And yeah, I backed off on OC'ing much more... I was able to get it up to around 3.65Ghz, but that required a voltage increase and it was running hot. I'm sure I could increase the cooling in my case and do better (I have a lot of fans, but they all run slow, and those two 9800GTs run hot as the sun) but I'll just leave it as is.
Plus, leaving all stock voltages (I also dropped the ram voltage back to auto, just seeing if it will work) getting a .7Ghz increase is pretty decent.
Currently going to run a bunch of Prime95 and see if it stays stable at current settings.
BTW, do you the TTArmor case with the giant fan on the side, or just a window? I was just wondering cause even at stock settings most of my components seem to run on the warm/ hot side, and I was wondering if it's the case. (Granted, I do have a LOT of stuff in there now... although I did manage to do some wickedly awesome cable management while putting in the latest batch of components.) (I also have about 3 more fans I suppose I could install... which would make the thing one giant fan as I already have 6 fans in the thing... what the heck, might do that later tonight)
Update: and I did do that, just added two (literally had no more space for the third one). And wow, dropped about 5C.

Haven't tried ganged mode yet, but the computer runs smooth as can be with only 2 modules in a 2x1GB configuration at their rated timing and voltage, 5-5-5-12-2T and 1.9V DDR2 800.

I read up on ganged vs. unganged a little and it seems Phenom II Processors have separate memory controllers or something and actually work more efficiently in unganged mode so each controller can control its own memory module... I guess?

I got so tired of all the problems I was having with the 4-up configuration that I gave up on it entirely. I never did try to run 4x1GB since upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit. I had to rebuild my RAID array and low-level format/write 0's to my drives and then install Win7 which was a nightmare in itself due to the 64-bit version rejecting my IDE optical drive and having to dig out a SATA drive I had laying around that I thought was dead from a bad firmware flash... Turns out it saved the day for me.

I am almost certain that the replacement RAM will work fine because it's only 2 modules (albeit 2GB each, but the board has a max of 8GB total anyway).

My TT Armor case is the one with the 250mm side fan... I highly doubt this thing does very much to cool anything at all as the CFM rating on it is pretty low and it only runs at 800RPM. It feels like someone gently blowing on the components from about 6-8 inches away and I doubt this does anything to help CPU/RAM cooling. Also because it protrudes inwards about 1 inch it limits the size of the air cooling setup I can use on my CPU so I had to compromise with a Zalman 9500A-LED when I wanted to get a CM Hyper 212 EVO or Plus or maybe even a Prolimitech. I guess I can fit a Corsair H60 or 80 in their easily enough though but yeah - seems like the side fan is more trouble than it's worth, not to mention ugly and obstructs your view....

My setup runs surprisingly cool however, and for the most part always has. My PH II X4 830 runs 22C idle and maybe 33C under load. The 560Ti runs 29C idle and 65C Load.

I added a 2nd 120mm fan and cage unit from Thermaltake to help draw in more cool air while I was OCing my 5200+ this summer before doing all these upgrades.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999141&Tpk=thermaltake%20icage

There's the link if you want one, it also works in other cases with 3x 5.25 in. bays open. I have all the other included fans running with the exception of the top rear 90mm fan, had to pull it because it got loud - bearing went bad - and I still haven't replaced it or even really needed to.

When I had 2 8800GTSs in SLI they ran about 70-75C Load tops I think, your 9800's should be a little cooler than that because the G92 chip is more efficient than my G80 based cards.

Good luck with the stability testing, I need to do the same here soon. I would love to be able to OC this 830 a little and get it to at LEAST 3.0GHz, maybe 3.2-3.4GHz but at this point I feel like I'm skating on thin ice with the durability of this 5-year-old motherboard so we'll see. Just thankful to have a sort-of-stable system for the time being.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 830 2.8Ghz 95W Deneb Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA ASUS DRW-2014L1T Zalman CNPS9500A-LED 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Samsung T260HD Logitech Internet Pro Corsair CMPSU 750TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Armor Logitech G9x Ozone Ground Level L M-Audio Delta AP192 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 830 2.8Ghz 95W Deneb Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA ASUS DRW-2014L1T Zalman CNPS9500A-LED 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Samsung T260HD Logitech Internet Pro Corsair CMPSU 750TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Armor Logitech G9x Ozone Ground Level L M-Audio Delta AP192 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9873 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageNorseman View Post

Haven't tried ganged mode yet, but the computer runs smooth as can be with only 2 modules in a 2x1GB configuration at their rated timing and voltage, 5-5-5-12-2T and 1.9V DDR2 800.
I read up on ganged vs. unganged a little and it seems Phenom II Processors have separate memory controllers or something and actually work more efficiently in unganged mode so each controller can control its own memory module... I guess?

Still pushing the ganged mode dude. I have (hopefully) a pretty stable system right now with the moderate overclocks, stock voltages, rolled back BIOS to 2209 and leaving the timings on my ram up to the motherboard. That being said, if I switch it to unganged, windows doesn't even boot. Just give it a whirl, it's a quick BIOS option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageNorseman View Post

I added a 2nd 120mm fan and cage unit from Thermaltake to help draw in more cool air while I was OCing my 5200+ this summer before doing all these upgrades.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999141&Tpk=thermaltake%20icage

Thought about picking one of those up, but I just installed a second 120mm in the front with zip ties... zip ties are the best thing ever for your PC case. The fan is suspended in the drive cage with ties on all sides held tight. (actually, all of my fans are held in place with zip ties... fast, easy, cheap) I also have a silly amount of fans on my rig these days... 2 120mm front intakes, 2 120mm bottom intakes (cut holes for them), 1 80mm side intake (cut a hole for that too), 1 120mm back exhaust, 1 90mm back exhaust, and 1 120mm top exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageNorseman View Post

When I had 2 8800GTSs in SLI they ran about 70-75C Load tops I think, your 9800's should be a little cooler than that because the G92 chip is more efficient than my G80 based cards.

Mine seem to run hot as hell... I was just doing a minor bit of gaming and they got up to 75C/83C on stock settings... granted, they seem to run hot no matter what I do, and it doesn't really seem to bother them much. I thought about trying to zip tie an 80mm fan I have leftover somehow externally on the back to suck air out of their PCI slot vents... would love to hear if anyone has any SLI cooling mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageNorseman View Post

Good luck with the stability testing, I need to do the same here soon. I would love to be able to OC this 830 a little and get it to at LEAST 3.0GHz, maybe 3.2-3.4GHz but at this point I feel like I'm skating on thin ice with the durability of this 5-year-old motherboard so we'll see. Just thankful to have a sort-of-stable system for the time being.

I feel ya dude, my stability has been in and out since I upgraded to this 925... I'm still saying to try that ganged mode though. Anyway, I'm gonna leave Prime95 on whenever I pass out, and hopefully I'll get 12+ hours and call it stable!

ONE LAST THING:
does anyone know what the TMPIN2 temp is on Hardware Monitor with this M2N32-SLI Deluxe? I'll get a pretty hot reading on it (about 60C) when I'm idling and then when I run Prime95, it jumps to 124C almost instantly. I've read that this is probably an error (and I would imagine I would have something catch on fire if it wasn't) but I figured I'd ask you guys anyway.
The Mainframe
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom X4 925 M2N32-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin PC2-6400 Samsung 830 64g SSD 4 WD 640g Caviar Black HDs in a RAID 0+1 TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S162L 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Plextor CD-R PX-240A Zalman CPU cooler 5x 120mm fans (2 intake bottom/ 1 intake front/... 1x 80mm side intake fan 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home ASUS VK278Q HP w2207 Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Hiper 580w TT Armor Razer Copperhead Razer eXactMat 
AudioAudioAudio
Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD 550 
  hide details  
Reply
The Mainframe
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom X4 925 M2N32-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin PC2-6400 Samsung 830 64g SSD 4 WD 640g Caviar Black HDs in a RAID 0+1 TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S162L 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Plextor CD-R PX-240A Zalman CPU cooler 5x 120mm fans (2 intake bottom/ 1 intake front/... 1x 80mm side intake fan 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home ASUS VK278Q HP w2207 Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Hiper 580w TT Armor Razer Copperhead Razer eXactMat 
AudioAudioAudio
Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD 550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9874 of 12343
tmpin2 is an unused sensor,ignore it.
If you want to check NB temps,the sys monitor part of the nvtools gives this as Nforce temps.
And if you still have the squirrel cage fan put it on and plug it into the chipset fan header.

Which armor do you guys have ,there are many models?


Gyro
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9875 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post

tmpin2 is an unused sensor,ignore it.
If you want to check NB temps,the sys monitor part of the nvtools gives this as Nforce temps.

figured as much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post

And if you still have the squirrel cage fan put it on and plug it into the chipset fan header.

Do you mean the fan that clips onto the chipset heat sink/ heat pipes? I've got it... but it does say "For use in junction with water or passive cooling only"... and I can see where it looks like it would get right in the way of my CPU cooler's airflow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post

Which armor do you guys have ,there are many models?
Gyro

this is the one I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133154

It's since been deactivated, but they've had many different models over the years. They started out with an armor that had no side window, then added the side window and came out with a silver aluminum one as well (the black is made of steel), then they added big fans to those side panels... and since then they've still put out several editions.

It wasn't a bad case at the time, but in comparison to current cases it doesn't have very good airflow and has basically no cable management slots.
The Mainframe
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom X4 925 M2N32-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin PC2-6400 Samsung 830 64g SSD 4 WD 640g Caviar Black HDs in a RAID 0+1 TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S162L 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Plextor CD-R PX-240A Zalman CPU cooler 5x 120mm fans (2 intake bottom/ 1 intake front/... 1x 80mm side intake fan 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home ASUS VK278Q HP w2207 Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Hiper 580w TT Armor Razer Copperhead Razer eXactMat 
AudioAudioAudio
Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD 550 
  hide details  
Reply
The Mainframe
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom X4 925 M2N32-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin PC2-6400 Samsung 830 64g SSD 4 WD 640g Caviar Black HDs in a RAID 0+1 TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S162L 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Plextor CD-R PX-240A Zalman CPU cooler 5x 120mm fans (2 intake bottom/ 1 intake front/... 1x 80mm side intake fan 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home ASUS VK278Q HP w2207 Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Hiper 580w TT Armor Razer Copperhead Razer eXactMat 
AudioAudioAudio
Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD 550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9876 of 12343
It's recommended for water or passive because you loose the airflow from the cpu fan.
If it fit's without hitting the cooler it can knock off 5c or better from the NB temps.It won't interfere with cpu airflow.
Just make sure to mount it facing the right way.
386


Gyro
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9877 of 12343
Hello first-time poster here

I've got m2n32-sli deluxe version of motherboard with 5002 BIOS and I tried to run 955BE with it (previously Ahtlon 4600+ and Phenom X2 550).

I've downloaded latest drivers and Nvididia System Tools 6.05 but under Performance->Device Settings->CPU i don't have a drop-down selection for each core
and neither do I see a multiplier settings for the processor (it only says what the speed and multiplier was set in the BIOS)

Nvidia Monitor shows however that the multiplier is x4 and speed is 800MHz, obviously not what I was hoping for ; )
In the BIOS the C'n'Q is disabled, so is C1E. Memory is set to Ganged.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem? Downgrading BIOS or drivers? Reinstalling Windows?

I also tried running Linux with this board/CPU and it seems to be running at 800MHz, however /proc/cpuinfo
shows BogoMIPS value around 6400 (for multiplier set to x16 in the BIOS) which is bit odd.


Thanks for any suggestions
post #9878 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by filu View Post

Hello first-time poster here

I've got m2n32-sli deluxe version of motherboard with 5002 BIOS and I tried to run 955BE with it (previously Ahtlon 4600+ and Phenom X2 550).

I've downloaded latest drivers and Nvididia System Tools 6.05 but under Performance->Device Settings->CPU i don't have a drop-down selection for each core
and neither do I see a multiplier settings for the processor (it only says what the speed and multiplier was set in the BIOS)

Nvidia Monitor shows however that the multiplier is x4 and speed is 800MHz, obviously not what I was hoping for ; )
In the BIOS the C'n'Q is disabled, so is C1E. Memory is set to Ganged.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem? Downgrading BIOS or drivers? Reinstalling Windows?

I also tried running Linux with this board/CPU and it seems to be running at 800MHz, however /proc/cpuinfo
shows BogoMIPS value around 6400 (for multiplier set to x16 in the BIOS) which is bit odd.


Thanks for any suggestions

Put Windows power options to performance.
Plus,I don't think either NVtools or PMT will work with linux.

Gyro
Edited by Gyro - 1/20/12 at 3:42am
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9879 of 12343
Thank you for a quick response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post

Put Windows power options to performance.

I don't think I understand. How exactly do I do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post

Plus,I don't think either NVtools or PMT will work with linux.
Gyro

Nor do I. I've tried running k10ctl scripts but msr tools don't seem to work properly with this board.
post #9880 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by filu View Post

Thank you for a quick response.
I don't think I understand. How exactly do I do that?

OK I've reread the sentence and I've got it (that took long enough ; ) ).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!