Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [OCNHC] Guide to Gaming Headphones\Headsets.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OCNHC] Guide to Gaming Headphones\Headsets. - Page 18

post #171 of 471
Hey guys, new to the forum here
I always go with a headset, but after reading all of these posts saying that headphones with a clip on mic are better, I really want to try it.

I'm thinking about buying the Sennheiser HD201 Headphones:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD2...135787&sr=1-18

I'll be using the headphones mainly for gaming. Probably using them on my iPod also..

My concern is that I am using just my stock soundboard on my old computer. (Realtek AC97 I THINK!)
But I think my new computer that I am ordering has 7.1 HD or something like that..
Will the headphones still sound great with my old and new PC?
Edited by discosilly - 9/28/09 at 4:39am
post #172 of 471
what's your budget and music tastes?
post #173 of 471
Honestly, not that much. Probably like $25-$40.
I know this isn't a lot for "high-end" headphones, but I don't really use them a lot other than for gaming & around the house or maybe for a long trip.
I've also only really owned ear buds for an iPod or something, so this is kind of like my first purchase for actual headphones.

If you were to look into my library of music, you would probably find Musicals, Hip-Hop, R&B, Pop, Rock, Indie, basically a little bit of everything.. honestly lol.
The games I plan on playing are TF2, BattleForge, CS, & Champions Online.

The reason I was leaning towards the HD201 is because they are extremely cheap and everywhere I read, people have good reviews and they are recommending them.

edit; I also really like closed-ear.
Comfort is also a big factor. I usually leave my headphones on for 10+ hours if time allows.
Edited by discosilly - 9/28/09 at 10:07am
post #174 of 471
Quote:
Plantronics Audio Switcher 10-12$


What is this for?
It's basically a switch from audio from your speakers, to your headset. If you've got a pair of a speakers that you're constantly having switch to your headphones from, and you dont want to have to unplug your speakers everytime, this little baby does that for you. Just plug your speakers/headphones/mic into this bad boy, and hit the button, and sound will be outputted only to your headphones / vice versa!
Can someone link a good one of these that can still be bought at a reasonable price.
The Intel Sniper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 860 2.8 (stock) Asus Maximus III Formula HD 5970 @ 950/1100 4GB G Skillz Ripjaws DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Agility II SSD 60gb & WD Black 640gb Lite-On Blue Ray Disc drive Air Cooling Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
SAMSUNG 2333SW 23" 1080P Zboard Corsair 750HX CM Storm Sniper be 
Mouse
G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Intel Sniper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 860 2.8 (stock) Asus Maximus III Formula HD 5970 @ 950/1100 4GB G Skillz Ripjaws DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Agility II SSD 60gb & WD Black 640gb Lite-On Blue Ray Disc drive Air Cooling Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
SAMSUNG 2333SW 23" 1080P Zboard Corsair 750HX CM Storm Sniper be 
Mouse
G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #175 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by discosilly View Post
Honestly, not that much. Probably like $25-$40.
I know this isn't a lot for "high-end" headphones, but I don't really use them a lot other than for gaming & around the house or maybe for a long trip.
I've also only really owned ear buds for an iPod or something, so this is kind of like my first purchase for actual headphones.

If you were to look into my library of music, you would probably find Musicals, Hip-Hop, R&B, Pop, Rock, Indie, basically a little bit of everything.. honestly lol.
The games I plan on playing are TF2, BattleForge, CS, & Champions Online.

The reason I was leaning towards the HD201 is because they are extremely cheap and everywhere I read, people have good reviews and they are recommending them.

edit; I also really like closed-ear.
Comfort is also a big factor. I usually leave my headphones on for 10+ hours if time allows.
While the 201's sound good, they aren't the most comfy cans I've ever used. They tend to hurt my ears after a bit.
Navi 3.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Gigabyte Z77-D3H SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 G Skill F3-12800CL9D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 Cooler Mmaster Hyper 212 EVO yo mammy Samsung 2233BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Seasonic M12 II 620w LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Navi 3.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Gigabyte Z77-D3H SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 G Skill F3-12800CL9D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 Cooler Mmaster Hyper 212 EVO yo mammy Samsung 2233BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Seasonic M12 II 620w LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #176 of 471
Well, the best sounding for around that budget = the JVC RX700 but however I am not to sure about the portability issue. The budget is too low for any headphone to have any benefit from gaming over another headphone in that range.
post #177 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by discosilly View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum here
I always go with a headset, but after reading all of these posts saying that headphones with a clip on mic are better, I really want to try it.

I'm thinking about buying the Sennheiser HD201 Headphones:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD2...135787&sr=1-18

I'll be using the headphones mainly for gaming. Probably using them on my iPod also..

My concern is that I am using just my stock soundboard on my old computer. (Realtek AC97 I THINK!)
But I think my new computer that I am ordering has 7.1 HD or something like that..
Will the headphones still sound great with my old and new PC?
Honestly, I'm not proud of it, but I'm still using the sound card that came with my mobo. ...Just waiting for the xonar essence st to be released in the US.
Onboard will be more than fine for the HD201. A sound card would be better, but onboard is still ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
Well, the best sounding for around that budget = the JVC RX700 but however I am not to sure about the portability issue. The budget is too low for any headphone to have any benefit from gaming over another headphone in that range.
^this. Basically they will make you look like a nerd/dork/freak/[insert synonym of your choice]. They may be a bit bulky too.

Get them if you don't care what ppl think. Search for some pics of ppl wearing them, I know they've been posted a few times on head-fi.

From what I've read, they should beat hd201's by a fairly large margin. If I were you, I'd get them if you will use them mostly at home, and occasionally in the car or in the library or something.
Reborn Legacy
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.1 Ghz Foxconn Bloodrage 2 x OEM 5870 OCZ Platinum 6GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 2 x Caviar Black (RAID 0) Samsung SH-S223L Prolimatech Megahalems 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Delta AFC1212DE 5 x Coolermaster R4 (red LED) Windows 7 Pro Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW223T Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 710s Leopold FC200RT/KB (tactile touch with blank keys) Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Reborn Legacy (mod) Razer Deathadder Rocketfish Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
AudioAudioAudio
M-Audio MobilePre M-Audio BX5a Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
Reborn Legacy
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.1 Ghz Foxconn Bloodrage 2 x OEM 5870 OCZ Platinum 6GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 2 x Caviar Black (RAID 0) Samsung SH-S223L Prolimatech Megahalems 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Delta AFC1212DE 5 x Coolermaster R4 (red LED) Windows 7 Pro Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW223T Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 710s Leopold FC200RT/KB (tactile touch with blank keys) Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Reborn Legacy (mod) Razer Deathadder Rocketfish Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
AudioAudioAudio
M-Audio MobilePre M-Audio BX5a Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #178 of 471
how is the steelseries 5hv2 rated???
what signature sound would it handle? is it a good headphone for metal type music & gaming?
KinGJameS XXIII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920|D0|4Ghz|1.216V|Batch 3845B260 ASUS Rampage II Extreme|Bios 1504 ASUS HD4890s TOP in CROSSFIRE 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 TR3X6G1600C8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xSamsung 500Gb HD501LJ RAID0 | HD250HJ 250GB ASUS 20X DVDROM Sata (Lightscribe) Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Windows Vista 64bit SP3 Acer P244W 24" 1080p HD 
PowerCase
Corsair TX850W Codegen 9011 
  hide details  
Reply
KinGJameS XXIII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920|D0|4Ghz|1.216V|Batch 3845B260 ASUS Rampage II Extreme|Bios 1504 ASUS HD4890s TOP in CROSSFIRE 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 TR3X6G1600C8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xSamsung 500Gb HD501LJ RAID0 | HD250HJ 250GB ASUS 20X DVDROM Sata (Lightscribe) Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Windows Vista 64bit SP3 Acer P244W 24" 1080p HD 
PowerCase
Corsair TX850W Codegen 9011 
  hide details  
Reply
post #179 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeedthe View Post
how is the steelseries 5hv2 rated???
what signature sound would it handle? is it a good headphone for metal type music & gaming?
Um, don't even bother getting the 5HV2 for music.
Really, what's ya budget?
Music tastes?
Source?
How are you going to use it?
Any other factors to consider?
post #180 of 471
well, after reading this guide i regret spending 40$ on a Creative Fatality Headset, its that one with the red logos on the headphones......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [OCNHC] Guide to Gaming Headphones\Headsets.