I had the same problem with my netbook, a purple Gateway LT2815u, mfg'd 12-28-2011, new and shouldn't be screwing up. Here's how I fixed mine:
1. Open up your start menu (I'm running Windows 7)
2. type 'device manager' in the search bar and select Device Manager
3. double click on 'mice and other pointing devices'
4. double click on your device that shows up below 'mice and other pointing devices.'
5. when the box pops up, select the 'Driver' tab
6. select 'roll back driver,' which will go back to a previous driver in case your updated one fails. Even though your computer will say the device is working properly, you know better!
7. then select 'update driver.' Your computer will install the newest driver. It will ask you to restart your computer in order to start working, which is what I did, and now mine is working fine.
I hope this helps!