Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Intel BIOS › Stripped-down/un-overclockable BIOS?!?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stripped-down/un-overclockable BIOS?!?!

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone, first time post. I have an HP Pavilion Elite m9340f, intel 2 quad core @ 2.66 GHz, 6 gigs RAM, NVidia GeForce 9500 GS. I'm looking to kick it up a little bit more and want to overclock. But when I enter the BIOS it is COMPLETELY stripped down, very few options I can change and nothing that will help me overclock. The BIOS is Amerigan Megatrends, the moterboard is 'Pegatron' (which I understand is a division of ASUS). Looking online I've seen some real horror stories from people who've tried to use ASUS tools to manage their BIOS in Windows. Is there any RELIABLE program out there? Again, I'm not looking to simply flash the BIOS I need some way to alter it.
Vernif The Second
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, BSEL-mod OC'd to 3.33 GHz "Pegatron"/ASUS Benicia 1.01 VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 6GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
687GB Vista 64-bit SP1 HP w2207h 22-inch Corsair TX 750 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
Vernif The Second
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, BSEL-mod OC'd to 3.33 GHz "Pegatron"/ASUS Benicia 1.01 VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 6GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
687GB Vista 64-bit SP1 HP w2207h 22-inch Corsair TX 750 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfacescr View Post
Hello everyone, first time post. I have an HP Pavilion Elite m9340f, intel 2 quad core @ 2.66 GHz, 6 gigs RAM, NVidia GeForce 9500 GS. I'm looking to kick it up a little bit more and want to overclock. But when I enter the BIOS it is COMPLETELY stripped down, very few options I can change and nothing that will help me overclock. The BIOS is Amerigan Megatrends, the moterboard is 'Pegatron' (which I understand is a division of ASUS). Looking online I've seen some real horror stories from people who've tried to use ASUS tools to manage their BIOS in Windows. Is there any RELIABLE program out there? Again, I'm not looking to simply flash the BIOS I need some way to alter it.
Seriously, you're better off not overclocking. Using software to overclock is a real bad idea. Your best bet is to buy a new motherboard if you want to overclock that bad.
post #3 of 30
Short answer: No, you're stuck.
Reincarnate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3600+ Brisbane CAALG 0712 @2983MHz DFI LP DK 790GX-M2RS EVGA 7900GS 675/1700 vmod 2x2GB G.Skill PK 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD 1TB Black, WD250GB, WD250GB external Vista Ultimate OCZ 500W Modular 
  hide details  
Reply
Reincarnate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3600+ Brisbane CAALG 0712 @2983MHz DFI LP DK 790GX-M2RS EVGA 7900GS 675/1700 vmod 2x2GB G.Skill PK 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD 1TB Black, WD250GB, WD250GB external Vista Ultimate OCZ 500W Modular 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 30
Is "Mr. Bios" still around? That was a company that created modified bios's on the cheap.
post #5 of 30
Thread Starter 
So...essentially the BIOS on this motherboard was deliberately designed to avoid people overclocking, or what? Can I take it that this 'feature' is unique to this board? And that there's NO safe way to crack into the more advanced features of the BIOS?
Vernif The Second
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, BSEL-mod OC'd to 3.33 GHz "Pegatron"/ASUS Benicia 1.01 VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 6GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
687GB Vista 64-bit SP1 HP w2207h 22-inch Corsair TX 750 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
Vernif The Second
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, BSEL-mod OC'd to 3.33 GHz "Pegatron"/ASUS Benicia 1.01 VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 6GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
687GB Vista 64-bit SP1 HP w2207h 22-inch Corsair TX 750 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfacescr View Post
So...essentially the BIOS on this motherboard was deliberately designed to avoid people overclocking, or what? Can I take it that this 'feature' is unique to this board? And that there's NO safe way to crack into the more advanced features of the BIOS?
Yes an No. Try searching. Use what I said as a start.
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfacescr View Post
So...essentially the BIOS on this motherboard was deliberately designed to avoid people overclocking, or what? Can I take it that this 'feature' is unique to this board? And that there's NO safe way to crack into the more advanced features of the BIOS?
Pretty much standard on OEM boards. Overclocking can void warranty so removing it from BIOS will guarantee users aren't overclocking when their PCs go bust.
post #8 of 30
Thread Starter 
So are you saying that if I purchased this exact same motherboard direct from ASUS (or any other motherboard direct from the manufacturer) I could probably get into the advanced BIOS features without a problem? The issue is that I bought from HP, who put the thing together and doesn't want to deal with overclocking?
Vernif The Second
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, BSEL-mod OC'd to 3.33 GHz "Pegatron"/ASUS Benicia 1.01 VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 6GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
687GB Vista 64-bit SP1 HP w2207h 22-inch Corsair TX 750 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
Vernif The Second
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, BSEL-mod OC'd to 3.33 GHz "Pegatron"/ASUS Benicia 1.01 VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 6GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
687GB Vista 64-bit SP1 HP w2207h 22-inch Corsair TX 750 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfacescr View Post
So are you saying that if I purchased this exact same motherboard direct from ASUS (or any other motherboard direct from the manufacturer) I could probably get into the advanced BIOS features without a problem? The issue is that I bought from HP, who put the thing together and doesn't want to deal with overclocking?
Possibly, sometimes manufacture's like HP will have asus make a change to a board that is not readily apparent. You need to do some searches on bios mods. Sorry not gonna answer this question again. You have to learn to do some research on your own if you want to do something out of the ordinary.
post #10 of 30
Yes, Most any pre-built (Dell, HP, Gateway etc) will have a locked BIOS for overclocking.
Aftermarket boards will vary in their ability to overclock.
The bad news is if you purchase another motherboard and re-use all you current componenets, you need to buy a new copy of Windows, since your copy is OEM and tied to the motherboard it was origianlly installed on (the HP one).
'Pooter
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 830 x4 Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H MSI GTX 460 Hawk 12 gigs (2x2 and 2x4) Corsair DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung  Samsung DVD-RW  Samsung DVD-RW  Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VH242H 23.6" Logitech MX 3200 Wireless Antec Neo Eco 620 
CaseMouseOther
Antec P-180 Mini Logitech MX 3200 Wireless Crucial m4 128  
  hide details  
Reply
'Pooter
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 830 x4 Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H MSI GTX 460 Hawk 12 gigs (2x2 and 2x4) Corsair DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung  Samsung DVD-RW  Samsung DVD-RW  Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 ASUS VH242H 23.6" Logitech MX 3200 Wireless Antec Neo Eco 620 
CaseMouseOther
Antec P-180 Mini Logitech MX 3200 Wireless Crucial m4 128  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel BIOS
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Intel BIOS › Stripped-down/un-overclockable BIOS?!?!