Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Forget dual-booting! Virtualization 101
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Forget dual-booting! Virtualization 101 - Page 5

post #41 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Ironically, reading the EULA doesn't get you any rep around here, even if the forum is all anti-piracy. Anyway, there's still plenty of insanity in the Microsoft EULAs, if you know where to look.
I was really bored at work that day! :Lachen
post #42 of 95
Thread Starter 
This needs a new thread.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 95
Installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 in VBox within XP.

took an hr to solve first problem, right Ctrl to release mouse!.

Tried to import bookmarks frm IE but says cannot find anything.

The stock em program does not open up.

Display has only 16 & 800x600.

Does not import video driver.

The window does not maximise leaving small space for ubuntu itself.
Edited by nichos - 10/28/08 at 11:27am
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz,GO, B Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Crucial 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Maxtor sata 160gb XP PRO SP2 LG M198WDP (Digital TV / Monitor) OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu 
Case
old alum box from a dump. 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz,GO, B Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Crucial 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Maxtor sata 160gb XP PRO SP2 LG M198WDP (Digital TV / Monitor) OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu 
Case
old alum box from a dump. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichos View Post
Installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 in VBox within XP.

took an hr to solve first problem, right Ctrl to release mouse!.

Tried to import bookmarks frm IE but says cannot find anything.

The stock em program does not open up.

Display has only 16 & 800x600.

Does not import video driver.

The window does not maximise leaving small space for ubuntu itself.
Sounds like you didn't install the VirtualBox Guest Additions (go back to the OP). Once you do that it'll clear up most of this stuff.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 95
I read a dozen info on Vbox/ubuntu, on how to install guest additions, typed in hundreds of commands each asked me to, the devices>install guest additions does not work, even tried to install it by burning this "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" on a CD, install wizard installs it, a directory is made " innotek VirtualBox Guest Additions" BUT nothing is happening.

And to add insalt too, on boot up meriads of text are dished out & then says "your grafix are 800x600 do you want to keep it" but I cannot change it or any drivers.

VBox seats 6"x6" in the middle of a 20" screen & won't enlarge, grafix are 16, 800x400, nothing inmports etc etc.

I am stuck in a stand still.



My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz,GO, B Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Crucial 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Maxtor sata 160gb XP PRO SP2 LG M198WDP (Digital TV / Monitor) OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu 
Case
old alum box from a dump. 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz,GO, B Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Crucial 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Maxtor sata 160gb XP PRO SP2 LG M198WDP (Digital TV / Monitor) OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu 
Case
old alum box from a dump. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichos View Post
I read a dozen info on Vbox/ubuntu, on how to install guest additions, typed in hundreds of commands each asked me to, the devices>install guest additions does not work, even tried to install it by burning this "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" on a CD, install wizard installs it, a directory is made " innotek VirtualBox Guest Additions" BUT nothing is happening.

And to add insalt too, on boot up meriads of text are dished out & then says "your grafix are 800x600 do you want to keep it" but I cannot change it or any drivers.

VBox seats 6"x6" in the middle of a 20" screen & won't enlarge, grafix are 16, 800x400, nothing inmports etc etc.

I am stuck in a stand still.



It looks like it worked fine. I can see the CD image there on your desktop. Now you have to actually run it.
Edited by error10 - 10/30/08 at 12:08pm
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
It looks like it worked fine. I can see the CD image there on your desktop. Now you have to actually run it.
post #48 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
it looks like it worked fine. I can see the cd image there on your desktop. Now you have to actually run it.

lol
=)
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 g0 @ 3.4 GA-P35-DS3R eVGA 8800GT @ 650 / 950 Corsair XMS2 4GB CL4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 500 GB Sabayon/OSX/PC-BSD/XP/Windows7/ 22" Viewsonic VA2226w Raidmax 520 watts 
Case
Raidmax Sagitta 
  hide details  
Reply
=)
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 g0 @ 3.4 GA-P35-DS3R eVGA 8800GT @ 650 / 950 Corsair XMS2 4GB CL4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 500 GB Sabayon/OSX/PC-BSD/XP/Windows7/ 22" Viewsonic VA2226w Raidmax 520 watts 
Case
Raidmax Sagitta 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
It looks like it worked fine. I can see the CD image there on your desktop. Now you have to actually run it.
I'll translate it for the non-linux savvy among us:




1. Open up the terminal, you should find it in the start menu.
2. Type sudo followed by a space, and DON'T hit enter.
3. Take the file in the pic above and drag it onto the terminal, it should now show a file path after the sudo.
4. Hit Enter, it should work, if not you're going to have to cd to the directory first(usually "cd /media/cdrom0")



You don't need to do any configuring or anything, it should work after that. If not, ctrl-alt-backspace and try it again. The resolution should now resize automatically to fit the vbox window, so you don't ever have to set the resolution.
Edited by nathris - 10/30/08 at 11:47pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
I'll translate it for the non-linux savvy among us:




1. Open up the terminal, you should find it in the start menu.
2. Type sudo followed by a space, and DON'T hit enter.
3. Take the file in the pic above and drag it onto the terminal, it should now show a file path after the sudo.
4. Hit Enter, it should work, if not you're going to have to cd to the directory first(usually "cd /media/cdrom0")



You don't need to do any configuring or anything, it should work after that. If not, ctrl-alt-backspace and try it again. The resolution should now resize automatically to fit the vbox window, so you don't ever have to set the resolution.
Congrats, most people NEVER figure out that particular drag and drop trick. Rep+
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Forget dual-booting! Virtualization 101