Overclock.net banner

Project: Stonebox

3K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  l4n b0y 
#1 ·
So, to continue on my naming scheme; Questionbox shall be sent to a new home, and Stonebox shall take it's place. The name for Questionbox came after it was built, and I realized that the rig itself posed me a lot of questions. Practicality? Did it have a point? What did I want to do with it?

Over the past several months, I have answered these questions.

Here is a teaser for now...The rest just needs to be picked up (Hoping the CPU will be dropped off soon):

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes, yes it is. But it has some truely interesting features, which I shall document in a few minutes now!

First of all, this case is quite easy to disassemble. Screws are everywhere, and rivets only hold the major structure together. All panels are screwed on. In the bottom corners some extra bracing was added to stifen the chassis; I like this.

Here's the thing about the face of the case: It is not a sheet of aluminum bent into shape. It is an actual machined aluminum plate. with some machine aluminum end caps top and bottom.

Only one thing I can complain about is: Do they need front panel cables that are about 6" longer than the case itself?

#5 ·
And now...I have come to the point where I can go no further.

I need the CPU!

Strider 500w with the Short Cables. And they mean short! Course, this aids cable management greatly. Would be perfect if it didn't have 3 regular molex cables, and one SATA cable....I need SATA for both DVD and HD....damn I need an adapter.
In this pic, I have done as much cable management as I can for now really. Notice; fan wires are all but missing. (Dammit, they are peeking! I need tape!)

Massive difference.

#7 ·
No, I think I had the camera's white balance set for tungsten lights, but the sunlight is drowning it out...but, not enough light in total.
On ISO 100, I was getting down to really slow shutter speeds with the aperature wide open. Which is why several of them are slightly under exposed, so as to avoid camera shake.

#9 ·
What´s this pc for?

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscuro View Post

Nice Wolfdale Pentium Dual-Core.

Pentium DC have a reputation for overclocking really well, and judging from the reviews you should be able to hit 4GHz easy with a decent cooler.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscuro View Post
No, I think I had the camera's white balance set for tungsten lights, but the sunlight is drowning it out...but, not enough light in total.
On ISO 100, I was getting down to really slow shutter speeds with the aperature wide open. Which is why several of them are slightly under exposed, so as to avoid camera shake.
Ummmm.... why not turn up your ISO... 100 is very low unless you're taking pictures in really bright light

#14 ·
*shrugs* Dunno why I don't.

But I now how proof that a Xigmatek HD1283 does fit into a TJ-08.

Barely. As in: It has maybe 1 or 2mm between the top of the heat pipes, and the side panel.
Barely. As in: All the cables are about 5-10mm in front of the fan on the Xig.

Just by the skin of my knuckles did I get all the wires run, did I get everything connected.

And I'm not sure if you can mount a tower cooler with a backplate, without having some way to keep the backplate in place until you can mount the cooler with the mobo tray in the case.

I do bring evidence:

1: This is a big HSF, on a tiny board.

2: It's in....

3: A study in efficiency. Wasted space? None.

4: Side panel in place.

#17 ·
In general, small cases have a better possibility of having clean airflow. Large cases tend to get "dead spots." While I am upset to see you switching sides Oscuro, I wish you luck in your OC and applaud your decision to go small. I know my knuckles likely would not even fit in that case.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitz6804
View Post

In general, small cases have a better possibility of having clean airflow. Large cases tend to get "dead spots." While I am upset to see you switching sides Oscuro, I wish you luck in your OC and applaud your decision to go small. I know my knuckles likely would not even fit in that case.

Heh, I know 939 isn't dead, and my old 3200+ is still in service in my roommate's comp. I just wanted a little more performance.

#20 ·
Hey, thanks man!
Yeah, the portability is nice, even just moving around the house when I first started it up. So much easier to pack around a case that weighs maybe 20-25lbs, vs one that weighs over 50!
Just remember that 120mm towers need a case ATLEAST 195mm wide.
The TJ-08 is 195mm wide, with very little room behind the motherboard tray (can't stash cables back there). My Xigmatek is pretty much 1-2mm away from the side panel, although I could possibly tuck it in a bit more if I used shorter motherboard standoffs...if I had any.
It might be worthwhile to use a 92mm cooler vs a 120mm if you are going for a tower design.

#21 ·
from the pictures it seems like the case is a tight fit for all the goodies + cables... and seems to restrict airflow... is it possible to run the pci-e cable from the back to the base and up to the card? (also notice the psu cables are shorter than usual, does it come with the case itself?) again wonder if there's any space behind the mobo tray for sata cable routing etc...

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by k1t
View Post

from the pictures it seems like the case is a tight fit for all the goodies + cables...

Very tight fit, especially the 4-pin power, and CPU fan header. I'm still shocked that I got those in there!

Quote:

and seems to restrict airflow... is it possible to run the pci-e cable from the back to the base and up to the card? (also notice the psu cables are shorter than usual, does it come with the case itself?) again wonder if there's any space behind the mobo tray for sata cable routing etc...

When I put it together, I was just making sure it would run, get it all sorted, check for DOA's. So cable management is half-done.
Yeah, the PSU cables are MUCH shorter than normal. Using a Silverstone ST50EF-Plus-SC (Short Cable).
I think I can hide most of the cables behind the 3.5" drive bay. The PCI-E cables however, they don't have much slack in them
I am going to have to tear it down again soon though to install the hard drive that it is supposed to have inside of it (Currently in there is an old 160gig, need to put the 640 in). I am also tempted to paint the chassis while I do that.
Need more zipties

However, there is no room behind the mobo tray for anything....I don't think....

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaeric19
View Post

I have wanted to put a small rig like this together for LANs and stuff but don't have the money, paying for college sucks. Looks great.

Heh, thanks!

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
Is that the 9800 you nabbed? Lucky, I'm still waiting for FF to restock x.x

Reading this makes me want a new build to build.. arg!
Aye, it is. Haven't tried ocing it yet.

On cable management note: There is room for 2 SATA calbes to snake through the tiny opening in the mobo tray's corner, up the sides and out. I'm thinking about keepign the 160GB in there now...
But all drives will be re-arranged. I have them in this clumbsy config because of the single SATA power cable from the PSU. (3 molex...one SATA...wth?) I had forgotten that the Asus came with a Molex->SATA adapter. Which I will use on the DVD drive, with the molex connectors I have stashed beside it (Which also power the Kaze Master).
The PCI-E cables aren't all that long, but I am able to route them behind and under the 3.5" bay carrier.

I do know that when I tear it apart and rebuild it, I am going to take the "lid" off so I can access everything 3 times easier. I don't know why I didn't do it before.
It is tempting to find a way to turn the HD cage sideways, but that kills the 3.5" bays. Sure I can get a 5.25" converter for the Kaze Master, but the drive bay covers would need some re-thinking.

However, even with the crazy cabling, it's idling a 31-33 degrees case closed, with 22-24 degree external ambients. It's low 40s in OCCT @ 3.15ghz (Not stable...yet)
GTX idles at 55 closed case, and peaks at 66 with F@H

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.