Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club - Page 1422

post #14211 of 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
Why do you have your PSU with the fan facing up? Your sucking in warm air from your case. If you turn that upside down it will draw in air from underneath and keep the PSU a lot healthier.
That's more or less the reason I have mine facing up, to pull hot air out of the case and exhaust it. Any decent PSU will be rated to run pretty warm, and depending on your setup, there really shouldn't be a lot of lingering warm air inside the system, it should all be moving outside of the case as fast as possible.

Besides, the huge fan on the side is pushing in cool air to the gpu and I would guess the psu gets some of that fresh air as well, any lingering air will be pushed out from one of the other fans + the psu.

Has anyone ever ninja'd a laptop slim drive into the front of there 932? It seems like I got the idea from this thread or somewhere. I was taking some measurements and it would be really tight, plus had some other conflicts. Basically to cut a hole in the front mesh at the very bottom of the case, and put a slim dvd drive in there, so you can save a full sized 5.25" bay. Anyone remember seeing anything like this?
post #14212 of 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitally View Post
must be in a cool ambient? the weather here average about 27-33deg. last month weather shot up to 37deg c. LOL
Not that cool and to be fair, I haven't looked at my PC in a while at least inside while it was running, but it was practically never running when I used to have it on my desk and not on the floor.
HAFaestus
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8120 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX ASUS DirectCU GTX 460 2 x 4GB Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB M4 250GB Seagate 1TB WD Black LG 20X DualLayer 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit HP w2338h Chicony KB-2961 SeaSonic X750 80+Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Interior Logitech G9x Razer Goliathus Extended Razer Carcharias 
AudioAudio
Denon AVR-1712 Klipsch Qunitet 
  hide details  
Reply
HAFaestus
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8120 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX ASUS DirectCU GTX 460 2 x 4GB Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB M4 250GB Seagate 1TB WD Black LG 20X DualLayer 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit HP w2338h Chicony KB-2961 SeaSonic X750 80+Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Interior Logitech G9x Razer Goliathus Extended Razer Carcharias 
AudioAudio
Denon AVR-1712 Klipsch Qunitet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14213 of 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blech View Post
Funny to see talk of PSU's facing up. I got docked in the "rate my cables thread" because of this I ended up replying:
~I tested the "I'm supposed to have my PSU drawing air from the bottom" and to tell you the truth I gained no drop in temp. I have a wall of 4 120mm Rosewill fans pushing from the side (as seen in the bottom pic). I work in the Test & Evaluation industry and wasn't afraid of trying it. I guess I went against the grain.
The only real benefit I can see running with the fan Intaking off the bottom instead of the top is for cable management:

Allows PSUs' with shorter leads to have better access to connections without the aid of extensions.

Makes everything easier to keep tidy.

And the last benefit is that there are less cables(depending on components requiring their own leads) in the main area allowing for better airflow.[/benefits analysis]

This is not to say that running from a Top Intake is all that unsightly and is an less beneficial. For right access systems like Silverstone and Llian-Li contained systems Top Intake is probably better and gives the same benefits.

The one IMPORTANT negative to bear in mind is the possibility of a fan(or other component) screw being dropped into it unawares. That wouldn't be good for anybodies system. I for one have dropped one of the modified bolts from my H50 right into an exposed fan in the bottom of my system. I was lucky the bolt wasn't above a Top Intake PSU and that it didn't damage the fan it was dropped into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post
Has anyone ever ninja'd a laptop slim drive into the front of there 932? It seems like I got the idea from this thread or somewhere. I was taking some measurements and it would be really tight, plus had some other conflicts. Basically to cut a hole in the front mesh at the very bottom of the case, and put a slim dvd drive in there, so you can save a full sized 5.25" bay. Anyone remember seeing anything like this?
I've never seen it done but now that you've got me looking I'm sure that it could be done. The drive tray on my ASUS DVD+RW drive is just under the width of the slots in the front 200mm Grill. This could be an excellent Mod, and there are even 5.25 adapters that with some work could be used to carry it off. The only issue I have with it is SODD are very expensive unless you have a used one on hand.

~Ceadder
Edited by Ceadderman - 6/1/11 at 12:59pm
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14214 of 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
The one IMPORTANT negative to bear in mind is the possibility of a fan(or other component) screw being dropped into it unawares. That wouldn't be good for anybodies system. I for one have dropped one of the modified bolts from my H50 right into an exposed fan in the bottom of my system. I was lucky the bolt wasn't above a Top Intake PSU and that it didn't damage the fan it was dropped into.
When working on a bottom psu that is facing up put a piece of cardboard, posterboard, or paper over the psu to block the fan opening.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14215 of 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
When working on a bottom psu that is facing up put a piece of cardboard, posterboard, or paper over the psu to block the fan opening.
Very true. But not everyone thinks like that in spur of the moment real world application. I know better... than not to take precaution and it happened to me.

~Ceadder
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14216 of 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
I've never seen it done but now that you've got me looking I'm sure that it could be done. The drive tray on my ASUS DVD+RW drive is just under the width of the slots in the front 200mm Grill. This could be an excellent Mod, and there are even 5.25 adapters that with some work could be used to carry it off. The only issue I have with it is SODD are very expensive unless you have a used one on hand.

~Ceadder
Ya the slim drives start at about $30 on newegg, so it would be a bit of a gamble. I measured it, I think the drives are something like 17mm tall, and would just barely fit under the front intake fan. You would actually have to trim that fans shroud though, and cut some of the harddrive bay supports out. Another likely area would be to mount it right under the bottom of the last 5.25" bay, it has the same clearances as the bottom.

The only problem is that the left and right plastic facia mountings screws are directly in line with where the drive would fit.. so you would lose that stability... unless you modded new flanges onto the plastic also.


Now I just found out that they redid the HAF 932, and added every feature that I wished my original had. Black interior and that gpu fan duct... I think I need to buy another lol. Maybe around Black Friday, If I can score one sub $100 i'll do it. I should be able to get around that for mine on CL or somewhere.
post #14217 of 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post
Ya the slim drives start at about $30 on newegg, so it would be a bit of a gamble. I measured it, I think the drives are something like 17mm tall, and would just barely fit under the front intake fan. You would actually have to trim that fans shroud though, and cut some of the harddrive bay supports out. Another likely area would be to mount it right under the bottom of the last 5.25" bay, it has the same clearances as the bottom.

The only problem is that the left and right plastic facia mountings screws are directly in line with where the drive would fit.. so you would lose that stability... unless you modded new flanges onto the plastic also.


Now I just found out that they redid the HAF 932, and added every feature that I wished my original had. Black interior and that gpu fan duct... I think I need to buy another lol. Maybe around Black Friday, If I can score one sub $100 i'll do it. I should be able to get around that for mine on CL or somewhere.
The trayless SODD would be better imho. Unless you mod the bottom of the grill to perfectly accept the tray and then bump the drive out to nearly the inch needed to flush mount it. The trayless model would have to be mounted up above the fan. The round Cooler Master 200mm would be best for this since the casing is flexible.

You should have seen mine flex when I mounted it in my case. So long as the casing doesn't run into the path of the blades should work out pretty well. But the Trayless allows you to cut the grill and leave the plastic intact without the aid of Bondo. Those are also the most expensive SODD available. The last one I saw was right around $100. But that was some time ago. Prices are coming down but I wouldn't expect it to be under $50.

~Ceadder
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14218 of 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
The trayless SODD would be better imho. Unless you mod the bottom of the grill to perfectly accept the tray and then bump the drive out to nearly the inch needed to flush mount it. The trayless model would have to be mounted up above the fan. The round Cooler Master 200mm would be best for this since the casing is flexible.

You should have seen mine flex when I mounted it in my case. So long as the casing doesn't run into the path of the blades should work out pretty well. But the Trayless allows you to cut the grill and leave the plastic intact without the aid of Bondo. Those are also the most expensive SODD available. The last one I saw was right around $100. But that was some time ago. Prices are coming down but I wouldn't expect it to be under $50.

~Ceadder
Hmm, what's SODD stand for? not familiar with that term. Although if you are just talking about a really really slim drive, that fits in between the plastic that would be really nice. I don't think it would be to hard, or look that bad though just removing some of the grill and plastic and flushing it with the bottom. Especially if its gonna cost that much for one of those drives lol..
post #14219 of 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post
Hmm, what's SODD stand for? not familiar with that term. Although if you are just talking about a really really slim drive, that fits in between the plastic that would be really nice. I don't think it would be to hard, or look that bad though just removing some of the grill and plastic and flushing it with the bottom. Especially if its gonna cost that much for one of those drives lol..
Slim Optical Disc Drive.

They make a trayless one for the higher end systems. If I can find a link to one I'll post it.

~Ceadder
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14220 of 23536
Samsung seems to have them but mainly call them "half heights" it seems... hmmm... interesting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club