Originally Posted by crazcookye
Overclocking with those particular parts aren't going to be easy.
1. He needs to get at least a good P35 chipset board..or 750i chipset if he wants to SLI.
2. Then overclocking that quad involves an aftermarket cooler. (OCZ Vandetta 2 or TRUE).
3. Also..8gb of that crap 667 ram will be pain in the you know what when it comes to overclocking.
First of all, 8gb of ram really stress the northbridge. Also I don't know how much headroom he has if any on those 2gb sticks of 667 ram.
4. And I don't know what brand of PSU he has..but it is the OEM one..then he needs to upgrade when he overclocks as that ULTRA might already that put generic brand PSU at its limits...
Oveclocking requires stable power...not some generic brand PSU that saids 580watts.
5. Some OEM PC cases doesn't fit the standard ATX form of motherboard. If it does, it will have very limited air flow. So he or she might need a new case. Something like an ANTEC 900 or the like.
The point...it takes more than just a new motherboard to overclock that quad right with his given parts.
Yeah i feel you, specially about the ram, it will probably limit his oc lots....
He already got a new mobo
so ill see what i can do .
About his psu, don't worry bout it, it's not the oem, he changed it when he got his old 8800 gts last year, plus he only has one sata hdd and one dvd drive.
As for the HS, he bought my vendetta 2 so that problem is settled.
And finally his tower does suck, its small and will barely fit the vendetta2 but he has a spare one that is bigger(if push comes to shove).
ill let you know the outcome probably next week, when i get my TRUE and give him my vend 2.