Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i7 920 overclocking thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i7 920 overclocking thread - Page 181

post #1801 of 1913
i just got BSOD on 1.216 vcore and QPI/DRAM voltage 1.25

but now i'm at the same vcore and i just raised the QPI/DRAM volt to 1.275.. now it's working on both linx and prime95.

the temps are great! 56C max on prime95 and 60C max on Linx


EDIT/UPDATE: I think 1.21875 vcore is the lowest I can go..beyond that I get BSOD even with QPI/DRAm on 1.3 voltage
Edited by ecaftermath - 6/18/09 at 10:56am
Little Big Planet
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K HT Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z Sapphire HD5870 1GB Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
X25-M 160GB SSD | WD 1TB Black EK Supreme HF | EK FC5870 Win 7 Pro Dell U2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 9008S Corsair HX850 HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Big Planet
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K HT Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z Sapphire HD5870 1GB Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
X25-M 160GB SSD | WD 1TB Black EK Supreme HF | EK FC5870 Win 7 Pro Dell U2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 9008S Corsair HX850 HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1802 of 1913
That's incredible! At 1.216 you're getting 56C and 60C? Excellent results. I'm actually swapping my heatsink for a Prolimatech Megahalems, with IC Diamond 7 thermal compound. I haven't received it yet but I can't wait to see the results. Is this the heatsink you're using? Thermalright TRUE Black 120. I have to say, that looks like an impressive heatsink. Well done on the overclock, run Prime95 Large FFTs for 12 hours, if it's still going after that then I would say your system is stable, ready for mainstream use.
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1803 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by aln688 View Post
That's incredible! At 1.216 you're getting 56C and 60C? Excellent results. I'm actually swapping my heatsink for a Prolimatech Megahalems, with IC Diamond 7 thermal compound. I haven't received it yet but I can't wait to see the results. Is this the heatsink you're using? Thermalright TRUE Black 120. I have to say, that looks like an impressive heatsink. Well done on the overclock, run Prime95 Large FFTs for 12 hours, if it's still going after that then I would say your system is stable, ready for mainstream use.
aln688: Can you do me a favor? Can you test the same heatsink with just the TIM replaced with ICD7? I want to see how just the TIM affects your temps. I know its additional work but it will be a good data point to compare TIMs under similar conditions and I will really appreciate your inputs. I currently use OCZ freeze and I am hearing a lot about ICD7.
Predator
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0@4.4Ghz with 1.3125v, w3520 D0 @ 4.4Ghz EVGA X58 SLI GT9600 6x2GB OCZ Gold 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
120G Vertex, 256GB M4, 3xSeagates on LSI 9211-8i Linux amd64, XP64 Dell 24" Antec 850 TP Quattro 
Case
Thermatake Xaser VI 
  hide details  
Reply
Predator
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0@4.4Ghz with 1.3125v, w3520 D0 @ 4.4Ghz EVGA X58 SLI GT9600 6x2GB OCZ Gold 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
120G Vertex, 256GB M4, 3xSeagates on LSI 9211-8i Linux amd64, XP64 Dell 24" Antec 850 TP Quattro 
Case
Thermatake Xaser VI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1804 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by aln688 View Post
That's incredible! At 1.216 you're getting 56C and 60C? Excellent results. I'm actually swapping my heatsink for a Prolimatech Megahalems, with IC Diamond 7 thermal compound. I haven't received it yet but I can't wait to see the results. Is this the heatsink you're using? Thermalright TRUE Black 120. I have to say, that looks like an impressive heatsink. Well done on the overclock, run Prime95 Large FFTs for 12 hours, if it's still going after that then I would say your system is stable, ready for mainstream use.
It's all thanks to you!
That hsf you're getting is humongous! I also want to try out that IC Diamond 7 thermal paste, but I can't find it in Canadian sites like NCIX, CanadaComputers, etc =(

Oh I found some. =D


Just ordered one!
Edited by ecaftermath - 6/18/09 at 11:39am
Little Big Planet
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K HT Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z Sapphire HD5870 1GB Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
X25-M 160GB SSD | WD 1TB Black EK Supreme HF | EK FC5870 Win 7 Pro Dell U2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 9008S Corsair HX850 HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Big Planet
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K HT Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z Sapphire HD5870 1GB Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
X25-M 160GB SSD | WD 1TB Black EK Supreme HF | EK FC5870 Win 7 Pro Dell U2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 9008S Corsair HX850 HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1805 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaftermath View Post
i just got BSOD on 1.216 vcore and QPI/DRAM voltage 1.25

but now i'm at the same vcore and i just raised the QPI/DRAM volt to 1.275.. now it's working on both linx and prime95.

the temps are great! 56C max on prime95 and 60C max on Linx


EDIT/UPDATE: I think 1.21875 vcore is the lowest I can go..beyond that I get BSOD even with QPI/DRAm on 1.3 voltage
Those are nice temps, I assume you are not using Hyper Threading?
post #1806 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Newbie View Post
Those are nice temps, I assume you are not using Hyper Threading?
yeah i turned off HT, if it was on, i'd have to up the vcore to 1.288 and temps would've been 76C load
Little Big Planet
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K HT Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z Sapphire HD5870 1GB Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
X25-M 160GB SSD | WD 1TB Black EK Supreme HF | EK FC5870 Win 7 Pro Dell U2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 9008S Corsair HX850 HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Big Planet
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K HT Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z Sapphire HD5870 1GB Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
X25-M 160GB SSD | WD 1TB Black EK Supreme HF | EK FC5870 Win 7 Pro Dell U2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 9008S Corsair HX850 HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1807 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaftermath View Post
yeah i turned off HT, if it was on, i'd have to up the vcore to 1.288 and temps would've been 76C load
HT does add a lot of heat and needs a fair bit more voltage. There is debate on whether HT is an advantage but it all depends on the applications.

Your temps of 76C are nothing to worry about if you feel that HT helps.
post #1808 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthatsmell View Post
3dmark software and windows doesnt recognize x21 multiplier because those programs havent been updated recently to display core17 but cpuz has. trust cpuz and dont worry about what 3dmark or windows displays.


Actually, futuremark updated all the 3Dmark apps just a couple weeks ago to account for new hardware recognition.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400, E8600, 980BE T2RS+, P5E3, TA890FXE 8800GTS's,GTX's,GS,Ultra's,9600GT Lots of D9's and some crap DDR3 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Seagate 250GB + 80GB WD for benching TT 875w, Corsair 650TX Custom bench station 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400, E8600, 980BE T2RS+, P5E3, TA890FXE 8800GTS's,GTX's,GS,Ultra's,9600GT Lots of D9's and some crap DDR3 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Seagate 250GB + 80GB WD for benching TT 875w, Corsair 650TX Custom bench station 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1809 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by devsk View Post
aln688: Can you do me a favor? Can you test the same heatsink with just the TIM replaced with ICD7? I want to see how just the TIM affects your temps. I know its additional work but it will be a good data point to compare TIMs under similar conditions and I will really appreciate your inputs. I currently use OCZ freeze and I am hearing a lot about ICD7.
Of course, I still have the board installed and the Noctua mounting mechanism is still in place. I've removed the drive cage but I can put that back for testing purposes. Once I get the IC Diamond 24 I'll try a test on my Noctua heatsink, I should get the compound on Saturday as ordered from Petra's Tech shop. I'll also try the Artic Cooling MX-2 as well, as I'll have a tube of that available to test as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaftermath View Post
It's all thanks to you!
That hsf you're getting is humongous! I also want to try out that IC Diamond 7 thermal paste, but I can't find it in Canadian sites like NCIX, CanadaComputers, etc =(

Oh I found some. =D


Just ordered one!
Glad to be of help. Well, the Megahalems seems to get good reviews from what I've read and I'm only swapping it in order to get cooler temperatures at 4.0 GHz. I got the Megahalems (what a mouthful that is) from SVC.com, I'm planning on putting a Panaflo FBA12G12L1BX 120x120x38mm low-speed fan on it, 68 CFM at 30 dBA. I got the Prolimatech original clips from here. All of this is yet to arrive, hopefully before or on Saturday.

If you need a tube of IC Diamond 7 I'd be happy to take a PayPal, buy a tube and send it to you. Right now I'm upgrading the cooling system on my PC, now I've overclocked to 4.0 GHz I realize how hot this board can get. The parts desk is filling up!


Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1810 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by aln688 View Post
Of course, I still have the board installed and the Noctua mounting mechanism is still in place. I've removed the drive cage but I can put that back for testing purposes. Once I get the IC Diamond 24 I'll try a test on my Noctua heatsink, I should get the compound on Saturday as ordered from Petra's Tech shop. I'll also try the Artic Cooling MX-2 as well, as I'll have a tube of that available to test as well.



Glad to be of help. Well, the Megahalems seems to get good reviews from what I've read and I'm only swapping it in order to get cooler temperatures at 4.0 GHz. I got the Megahalems (what a mouthful that is) from SVC.com, I'm planning on putting a Panaflo FBA12G12L1BX 120x120x38mm low-speed fan on it, 68 CFM at 30 dBA. I got the Prolimatech original clips from here. All of this is yet to arrive, hopefully before or on Saturday.

If you need a tube of IC Diamond 7 I'd be happy to take a PayPal, buy a tube and send it to you. Right now I'm upgrading the cooling system on my PC, now I've overclocked to 4.0 GHz I realize how hot this board can get. The parts desk is filling up!
Oh I just bought one online couple hours ago! For $12.85CAD. There's no difference between 24 and 7 IC Diamond right? One's just 5 g and one's 1.5 g respectively.
Edited by ecaftermath - 6/18/09 at 3:38pm
Little Big Planet
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K HT Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z Sapphire HD5870 1GB Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
X25-M 160GB SSD | WD 1TB Black EK Supreme HF | EK FC5870 Win 7 Pro Dell U2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 9008S Corsair HX850 HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Big Planet
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K HT Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z Sapphire HD5870 1GB Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
X25-M 160GB SSD | WD 1TB Black EK Supreme HF | EK FC5870 Win 7 Pro Dell U2410 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 9008S Corsair HX850 HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i7 920 overclocking thread