Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CNNMoney] PS3 Flopping this X-mas.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CNNMoney] PS3 Flopping this X-mas. - Page 7

post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
Honestly I just want Killzone 2! Whole reason I bought a PS3 besides little big planet!
PS4?
Some of us don't have $400 to spend on a console with 3-4 attractive games. People buy a 360 because almost every good game on the ps3 also releases on the 360.

For me, the exclusive list on the ps3 is a joke. There are TWO games on the ps3 that I want to play.

It sounds to me like you bought the system to wow youself with Killzone 2's pretty graphics.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Gigabyte P35-DS3L eVGA GTX 280 G.Skill 6GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb, 180gb, & 55gb ASUS 20X DVDR Burner Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Asus 24" 
PowerCase
Corsair 750w Cooler Master RC-690 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Gigabyte P35-DS3L eVGA GTX 280 G.Skill 6GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb, 180gb, & 55gb ASUS 20X DVDR Burner Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Asus 24" 
PowerCase
Corsair 750w Cooler Master RC-690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasher27 View Post
Some of us don't have $400 to spend on a console with 3-4 attractive games. People buy a 360 because almost every good game on the ps3 also releases on the 360.

For me, the exclusive list on the ps3 is a joke. There are TWO games on the ps3 that I want to play.

It sounds to me like you bought the system to wow youself with Killzone 2's pretty graphics.
QFT. I agree 100%. PS3 Users go on against this though saying that it does have a nice library but after checking out all the games with my friend(ps3 user) yeah there is not that many decent games for it. And when this point is brought up they typically bring up the crap about "Oh it has blu-ray though. Larger games then 360. Better Graphics, trust me" and so forth.

360 has much more going for it in my honost opinion. Fairly large game library, good online service, even if it is for a fee, XBL is pretty well organized and put together. Also the graphics are good. Honostly I could care less about blu-ray. I'm content with the HD-DVD capabilities of my 360. Besides, I bought my 360 for the gaming, and facing off against friends and as a team and the matchmaking capabilities, as well as its variety of games, and capabilities lying in its dashboard.
I was with Sony up till the PS2, but when PS3 came out I just didn't get a good vibe from it. It doesn't amaze me. The 360 is the way I go now as in my eyes, it outshines the PS3.
Edited by Karasu - 12/15/08 at 10:36am
All Might
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1800X X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32) Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/B...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High ... 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Asus 27" MX279 Acer 24"  Acer 24"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
NMB Vintage Keyboard  EVGA 110-B2-0850-V1 80 PLUS Bronze 850 W Semi-... Cooler Master HAF 932 Full-Tower Case Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse Pad
Haruko Haruhara Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
All Might
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1800X X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32) Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/B...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High ... 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Asus 27" MX279 Acer 24"  Acer 24"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
NMB Vintage Keyboard  EVGA 110-B2-0850-V1 80 PLUS Bronze 850 W Semi-... Cooler Master HAF 932 Full-Tower Case Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse Pad
Haruko Haruhara Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 92
It looks as if alot of members from the 360 forum are finding their way into this thread...

Let's put this to basics. The PS3 is more expensive because it has more internal hardware features. Mainly the blu-ray player. Which in turn churns out production costs. Which means Sony can't go selling the PS3 in the stores for such a ridiculously low price as Microsoft are selling the basic model 360 for. (£150 in the UK). Its just not economically or financially viable for Sony. Don't forget, its a year or so newer than the 360. So its price reductions as expected are the same length behind.

I'm reading comments about 'PS3's exclusive title list is a joke'. Hold on a second. The PS3 has had MORE AAA exclusive titles this winter than the 360. aka littlebigplanet, resistance 2, gran turismo prologue, metal gear solid etc. All big winners at this years VGA awards.

As it stands. Both the PS3 and 360 share basically the same video game library from 2008 onwards. All new games come out for both systems. With the odd few exclusives. What's coming out here from some people is just favouritism. Side by side there is no reason to ever choose the 360 over the PS3 in terms of hardware and media capability. With each game release coming out on both platforms, there is no reason to say the 360 has the upper hand in exclusive titles anymore.

This is LITERALLY just about price. And what people are willing to spend. 360 is cheap as hell. Its a cheap box to make. Cheap box to buy. But it'll do less as a media hub for the customer. Yet it plays all the new games as does the PS3. Thats why its selling more. The 360 doesn't 'outshine' the PS3. Its just cheaper and therefore more people own one. Those people want to play their friends online who also have one so they buy one because its cheap enough. If the 360 and PS3 came out at the same day, and were the same price. The PS3 would be in the same shoes as the PS2 last generation. This time around it's different. But we still dont know which console will be left standing at the end of all this. Right now ,given the economic crisis. It looks like whichever console is cheapest takes the upper hand. Leave favouritsm out of this thread!!
Edited by Hellisforheroes - 12/15/08 at 10:52am
Halcyon i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition ATI 1GB XFX 5870 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 1TB WD1002FAEX 2 x Sony Optiarc AD-7241S Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 23" SP2309W, Daewoo 19", Samsung HDTV 32" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair CMPSU-850HXUK Antec 900 Logitech G5 v2 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries Surface QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
Halcyon i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition ATI 1GB XFX 5870 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 1TB WD1002FAEX 2 x Sony Optiarc AD-7241S Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 23" SP2309W, Daewoo 19", Samsung HDTV 32" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair CMPSU-850HXUK Antec 900 Logitech G5 v2 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries Surface QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisforheroes View Post
WORDS

I concur with this man, providing by 'media hub' you mean 'blu ray capable'.

It's so much cheaper to grab an xbox, if you've any sense picking between then you really have to go with it as the best bang-for-buck option.

I, however bought a ps3. This is because I am a sucker for shiny things, and the PS3 is very very shiny. That and I hate my wallet.

I'm not regretting it as I mostly pc game, and in my eyes the 'exclusives' on the xbox are more likely to make it to pc than the ps3 titles. I waited for GoW, and I'll wait out whatever X month period is deemed to give a title the honour of being 'exclusive'. Games like Resistance 2, MGS4, won't ever make it to PC or 360 (that I'm aware), so I'll take the PS3.

On topic: Think everything about the pricing has been covered and done to death by now, Doesn't surprise me if the sales of the xbox are mullering the ps3, it's pretty clear why. Sony just haven't made it enough of a must-have item. Turns out people don't care that much about Blu Ray yet.

Now the Nintendo Wii, there's an example of how to sell a console (and at a profit).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 BE (c3) MSI 790FX-GD70 7770 OCZ Obsidian 4GB 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
120GB SSD + some HDDs Windows 7 Home Premium Silverstone Strider 500w Modular Silverstone RV02B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 BE (c3) MSI 790FX-GD70 7770 OCZ Obsidian 4GB 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
120GB SSD + some HDDs Windows 7 Home Premium Silverstone Strider 500w Modular Silverstone RV02B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisforheroes View Post
It looks as if alot of members from the 360 forum are finding their way into this thread...

Let's put this to basics. The PS3 is more expensive because it has more internal hardware features. Mainly the blu-ray player. Which in turn churns out production costs. Which means Sony can't go selling the PS3 in the stores for such a ridiculously low price as Microsoft are selling the basic model 360 for. (£150 in the UK). Its just not economically or financially viable for Sony. Don't forget, its a year or so newer than the 360. So its price reductions as expected are the same length behind.

I'm reading comments about 'PS3's exclusive title list is a joke'. Hold on a second. The PS3 has had MORE AAA exclusive titles this winter than the 360. aka littlebigplanet, resistance 2, gran turismo prologue, metal gear solid etc. All big winners at this years VGA awards.

As it stands. Both the PS3 and 360 share basically the same video game library from 2008 onwards. All new games come out for both systems. With the odd few exclusives. What's coming out here from some people is just favouritism. Side by side there is no reason to ever choose the 360 over the PS3 in terms of hardware and media capability. With each game release coming out on both platforms, there is no reason to say the 360 has the upper hand in exclusive titles anymore.

This is LITERALLY just about price. And what people are willing to spend. 360 is cheap as hell. Its a cheap box to make. Cheap box to buy. But it'll do less as a media hub for the customer. Yet it plays all the new games as does the PS3. Thats why its selling more. The 360 doesn't 'outshine' the PS3. Its just cheaper and therefore more people own one. Those people want to play their friends online who also have one so they buy one because its cheap enough. If the 360 and PS3 came out at the same day, and were the same price. The PS3 would be in the same shoes as the PS2 last generation. This time around it's different. But we still dont know which console will be left standing at the end of all this. Right now ,given the economic crisis. It looks like whichever console is cheapest takes the upper hand. Leave favouritsm out of this thread!!

Exactly. Why buy a PS3 when you can get 2 360's for that price and game. Sony needs to cut their loses and sell this damn thing for the cheap or the decline with only get decliner, lol.
post #66 of 92
By saying it outshines it in my eyes was not favoritism. It was just my opinion of how I see it after my experience using both consoles many times and how i felt it to be if I compared it together. The PS3 has many media capabilities that do outweigh the Xbox 360's but I would rather just deal with most media on my pc and hook it up to a huge monitor. Although depending on how a system integrates its media aspects it can be a big plus. Like I said before though, I was really big on the Playstation and Playstation 2, but when PS3 came around it just didn't suit my tastes like the PS2 did so I went for the next console that fit my expectations which turned out to be the 360.

But yes, in order to pick up the pace again they will need to find some way to make up for their losses in sales whether it be from some kind of price cuts or something.
All Might
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1800X X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32) Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/B...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High ... 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Asus 27" MX279 Acer 24"  Acer 24"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
NMB Vintage Keyboard  EVGA 110-B2-0850-V1 80 PLUS Bronze 850 W Semi-... Cooler Master HAF 932 Full-Tower Case Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse Pad
Haruko Haruhara Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
All Might
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1800X X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32) Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/B...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High ... 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Asus 27" MX279 Acer 24"  Acer 24"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
NMB Vintage Keyboard  EVGA 110-B2-0850-V1 80 PLUS Bronze 850 W Semi-... Cooler Master HAF 932 Full-Tower Case Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse Pad
Haruko Haruhara Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasu View Post
Honostly I could care less about blu-ray. I'm content with the HD-DVD capabilities of my 360.
Well that's an odd statement to make, considering that HD-DVD is a dead format...

Pulling a silly example using 80s technology: It's like saying you could care less about CDs, you're content with cassette tapes. Which is completely fine, as long as you never want to buy new music again.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Well that's an odd statement to make, considering that HD-DVD is a dead format...

Pulling a silly example using 80s technology: It's like saying you could care less about CDs, you're content with cassette tapes. Which is completely fine, as long as you never want to buy new music again.
Well true, but still. Let me rephrase. DvDs for games and such is the norm for the most part at the moment, HD DvDs I use and see people use more than any Blu-Ray and such. Right now, Blu-Ray is not as mainstream enough to take over for DvDs. Sure it has better quality and can fit more things on blu-ray discs but not enough things take advantage of the good features of Blu-Ray just yet in my point of view. Weird? I know
All Might
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1800X X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32) Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/B...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High ... 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Asus 27" MX279 Acer 24"  Acer 24"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
NMB Vintage Keyboard  EVGA 110-B2-0850-V1 80 PLUS Bronze 850 W Semi-... Cooler Master HAF 932 Full-Tower Case Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse Pad
Haruko Haruhara Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
All Might
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1800X X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32) Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/B...  CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High ... 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Asus 27" MX279 Acer 24"  Acer 24"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
NMB Vintage Keyboard  EVGA 110-B2-0850-V1 80 PLUS Bronze 850 W Semi-... Cooler Master HAF 932 Full-Tower Case Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse Pad
Haruko Haruhara Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 92
I've put a lot of use into my PS3 since I bought it (early June). Mostly Netflix-ing Blu-ray movies like crazy

Even though Blu-ray is my primary use for my PS3 at the moment, I still play a few games on it, and it's good to have for those gotta-have exclusives coming in the future.
Edited by Solertia - 12/15/08 at 12:15pm
Believe i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB idk generic disk drive Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1 Acer AL2216W 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Corsair HX1000W Antec 1200 Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
Believe i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB idk generic disk drive Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1 Acer AL2216W 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Corsair HX1000W Antec 1200 Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjingsted View Post
Could he be meaning HD-dvd?
No way, HD-DVD and blu ray looked exactly the same
Cheap Upgrade
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8P67 ATI Radeon HD 6970 Gskill 4x4gb DDR3 1600Mhz Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Black 750GB Corsair H70 push/pull config Windows 7 Profession 64bit HP2311x 23inches of 1080p goodness 
PowerCase
OCZ 700W ModXStream Smilidon Green (completly gutted) 
  hide details  
Reply
Cheap Upgrade
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8P67 ATI Radeon HD 6970 Gskill 4x4gb DDR3 1600Mhz Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Black 750GB Corsair H70 push/pull config Windows 7 Profession 64bit HP2311x 23inches of 1080p goodness 
PowerCase
OCZ 700W ModXStream Smilidon Green (completly gutted) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CNNMoney] PS3 Flopping this X-mas.