Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Kotaku] Dante's Inferno Trailer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Kotaku] Dante's Inferno Trailer - Page 3

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream808 View Post
Sooo... this is gonna be just like God of War????
Practically... but at least God of War made sense because greek mythology was relatively bloody and action packed...

Dante's Inferno (the book) is about a guy (Dante) who has strayed from (Christianity's version of) Righteousness and must journey through hell while being led by human reason (in the form of a guide named Virgil)... the various circles of hell are based on crimes/sins... those within these circles suffer symbolic punishment FIT for the crimes they've committed (the author takes this chance to satirize certain well known figures of his time)...

Not exactly something that would translate over to an action packed adventure now would it? A psychological thriller could be pulled off reasonably however (IMO)
Edited by killa_concept - 12/17/08 at 9:07pm
post #22 of 25
Surprised no one has posted this yet:

http://img261.imageshack.us/content....0391398cz7.jpg


And as or Bioshock, it has Ayn Rand's fingerprints all over it, and as for comparing it to Brave New World you really had to be smoking something. Basically from my limited study of Objectivist philosophy, it is a look at that philosophy when taken to it's logical extremes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivism_(Ayn_Rand)

The society did have one flaw, Andrew Ryan was the "bloody king of Rapture." Had he created a more libertarian society, one that was truly free and free of executive meddling and monopolistic practices as described by Adam Smith, Rapture probably would have been a pretty nice place to live.

I would suggest Heilein to anyone, specifically "Moon is a Harsh Mistress," and "Starship Troopers."
Edited by Jarhead - 12/17/08 at 10:25pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa_concept View Post
I believe I was somewhat misinterpreted - when I mentioned an obligation to be true to the work, I wasn't suggesting that they should follow it word for word... I meant that the work and author's intentions should be evaluated for what genre it would best suit... before simply jumping the gun and trying to make a quick profit

Considering the work, I believe it would be much better suited to a Silent Hill 2 sort of approach: a puzzle-based game with a weak playable character, symbolic monsters that you'd much rather not confront, a lingering sense of dread, a fear of proceeding and of course a strong atmosphere.. the aim of it all being to instill psychological fear (as opposed to a fear of simply being startled)

Instead, they've decided to make a typical action/thriller game because that "sells".... making a game in which Dante (or Virgil) runs around stabbing demons with crosses hardly seems ANYWHERE near what the Divine Comedy was about (more something I would expect from a video game based on Twilight )
Your point has merit; but my intuition tells me this is somewhat like having your cake and eating it to.

Yes, a Silent Hill-esqe type format might conceivably "fit" the material better. I might even go so far as to say that even that isn't subtle enough, and the most true-to-the-material style the game should take would be akin to Myst - that is no combat at all and simply exploration, albeit spiced up a bit by the torments of hell.

And yet, this returns to my original point. Yes, on a slight relative scale and taken in isolation, one format may be more appropriate than the other. But in comparison to the original work the difference between Inferno and any style video game is so vast that, I think, the argument over which mode is better fails have any substantial meaning.

EA (or whoever, for that matter) seems to agree with this, and has thrown all caution to the wind and made it with a bit of cynical humor. That's fine, in fact there may be a hint of satire in the endeavor.

Inferno is not holy scripture, and even if it was it shouldn't be off limits for carnal fodder, gaming or otherwise. Indeed, it is called The Divine Comedy precisely because it is superficially vulgar and not to be taken seriously. Remember it is not a novel, but a poem - full of allegory and fancy.

The only way they could do disservice to the original work is to make a bad game.
Callisto
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.7ghz @ 1.37v MSI P67A-GD65 EVGA GTX 680 Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel SSD 40GB; Seagate Cavier Green 1TB Scientific Linux 6.3/Windoze7 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
Callisto
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.7ghz @ 1.37v MSI P67A-GD65 EVGA GTX 680 Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel SSD 40GB; Seagate Cavier Green 1TB Scientific Linux 6.3/Windoze7 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsbrian View Post
For those who've read the book. This will be interesting.
*hits self on head repeatedly*

yes, it surely will

Especially because I could scarcely believe my eyes when I saw the title of this thread.... It's an epic poem, NOT a video game.

*hits self on head AGAIN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

And as or Bioshock, it has Ayn Rand's fingerprints all over it, and as for comparing it to Brave New World you really had to be smoking something. Basically from my limited study of Objectivist philosophy, it is a look at that philosophy when taken to it's logical extremes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivism_(Ayn_Rand)

The society did have one flaw, Andrew Ryan was the "bloody king of Rapture." Had he created a more libertarian society, one that was truly free and free of executive meddling and monopolistic practices as described by Adam Smith, Rapture probably would have been a pretty nice place to live.

I would suggest Heilein to anyone, specifically "Moon is a Harsh Mistress," and "Starship Troopers."
Yes, but at the very least 2k Boston didn't blatantly call their game "Atlas Shrugged" for god sakes.

I still vehemently believe that no matter what the case it would have been doomed to failure. Ayn Rand's policies were great in their context, but like socialism, they can't realistically be applied to the real world. What Ayn Rand failed to realize (or "ANDREW RYAN") is that someone has to be there to scrub the toilets, someone has to do the dirty work of society, and I think the game showed that brilliantly.

Didn't really like the turn of the story though, it may just be me but I found the ending to be rather anticlimatic
Edited by JCJP - 12/18/08 at 1:59pm
Sager NP8150
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-2630QM (@ 2.0 ghz) ATI 6990m 2 Gigs Mem 8 Gigs DDR3 @ 1333 750GB (7200RPM) 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Blu-ray reader/DVD burner Ubuntu 11.04; Win 7 15.6” (1920x1080) a really big brick 
  hide details  
Reply
Sager NP8150
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-2630QM (@ 2.0 ghz) ATI 6990m 2 Gigs Mem 8 Gigs DDR3 @ 1333 750GB (7200RPM) 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Blu-ray reader/DVD burner Ubuntu 11.04; Win 7 15.6” (1920x1080) a really big brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa_concept View Post
For those who've read the epic poem, enjoyed it and understood the historical significance of the Divine Comedy- this will be lame

Really though - from what I got from that trailer, Dante is supposed to be some sort of badass superhero fighting his way through hell... this is literary rape
Indeed. I can't see the trailer, but if that's true...I'm going to be pissed.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Kotaku] Dante's Inferno Trailer