Overclock.net banner

SLI 8800's with AMD 6400+ bottleneck?

953 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  AIpha 
#1 ·
Im thinking about getting a second 512mb 8800gt and going sli. Only question i have is how bad will my processor bottle neck them? Would i have enough of an in-game frame rate improvement to be worth it? I currently have an AMD 6400+, and not a black edition.

#2 ·
You will be fine.

Think about selling that card and getting a 260 or a 4870 instead.

• Rep+
Reactions: Phantez
#3 ·
Hmm... interesting. I havent really looked into those before. Im looking at this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130400

I dont know at what point my processor would bottleneck, so im curious if it would bottle neck with that card? Ive run into bottle necking a lot in the past with different setups, so thats why im asking.

The game ive had most problems with is GTA4. I run an average of around 15-25 fps on lower graphics with that game. In ur opinion, do u believe ram could be the issue, or should i just say screw it and dump the money into a 260 and that would fix the problem

EDIT: On a side thought, will my 650W power supply be sufficient for this as well?

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantez
View Post

Im thinking about getting a second 512mb 8800gt and going sli. Only question i have is how bad will my processor bottle neck them? Would i have enough of an in-game frame rate improvement to be worth it? I currently have an AMD 6400+, and not a black edition.

They work fine for me.

#7 ·
Quote:

View Post

Hmm... interesting. I havent really looked into those before. Im looking at this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130400

I dont know at what point my processor would bottleneck, so im curious if it would bottle neck with that card? Ive run into bottle necking a lot in the past with different setups, so thats why im asking.

The game ive had most problems with is GTA4. I run an average of around 15-25 fps on lower graphics with that game. In ur opinion, do u believe ram could be the issue, or should i just say screw it and dump the money into a 260 and that would fix the problem

EDIT: On a side thought, will my 650W power supply be sufficient for this as well?

Your framerate drops in that game most likely aren't due to your GPU. That game has HORRIBLE problems on pc, they probably just did a quick port to make money.

#8 ·
Quote:

View Post

i just decided to toss the 8800gt and just ordered a 260 core 216 last night. Thanks for the help guys

I really should keep myself updated on the newer video cards haha

Did you order normal version of Superclocked? hope you did normal.

no point to take SC edition cause you can make it easily but anyway It's great gpu.

#9 ·
It's not going to be a bottleneck at all. 8800GT in SLI is a very good choose as for gaming too.

Quote:

no point to take SC edition cause you can make it easily but anyway It's great gpu.

It's easy money for the company by paying extra money for overclocked versions, because you're able to do it by yourself.
So, always, buy a normal version.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shedokan
View Post

Did you order normal version of Superclocked? hope you did normal.

I bought the SC edition. It was the only one on newegg that i saw came with farcry2, the regular one didnt. And since it was only like $12 more, i figured i'd go ahead and get the $50 game with it

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantez View Post
I bought the SC edition. It was the only one on newegg that i saw came with farcry2, the regular one didnt. And since it was only like $12 more, i figured i'd go ahead and get the $50 game with it
To me, thats good logic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.