Originally Posted by BizzareRide
1. Thanks for your opinion I guess.
2. Halo paved the way for every FPS on consoles released after it - It single handedly closed the gap between what made PC FPS' so much superior to what you could find on Consoles - Combat Evolved did that and every FPS after it has its DNA in it. Halo CE was before its time; Halo 2 was great and Halo 3 makes every game look pathetic in terms of design and integration. Dare I quote the publications that feel that Halo 3's design smashes anything before it?
3. You can find Halo 3's DNA in games that have nothing to do with shooting.
4. Every FPS that comes out on Playstation 3 gets dubbed as what? "The Halo killer" HAHAHA! What title does Timesplitters have? Do people even make a point to mention it along side greats like Half-Life 2, Halo; Do people mention the protagonist from Timesplitters along side greats like Gordon Freeman and Master Chief? No, they don't.
Enough of my observation on Halo, lets look at more factual evidence shall we?
Timesplitters avg score on MC: 81%
Timesplitters 2 avg score on MC: 90%(PS2 version)
Timesplitters Future Perfect avg score on MC: 84%(PS2 version)
Halo CE avg score on MC: 97%(Xbox)
Halo 2 avg score on MC: 95%(Xbox)
Halo 3 avg score on MC: 94%
Hmm... All above 90%, therefore Halo series > Timesplitters series. The outcome would be the same if we used Gamerankings so no point in listing those unless you want to get buried insurmountably.
5. I'm a Halo fanboy
Is there anything you would like to add thats not subjective?
1. No problem, thanks for yours as well.
2. Halo release date: Nov. 15th 2001. TS1 release date: Oct. 23rd 2000.
The biggest downfall of TS1 was the story mode. It sucked. Plain and simple. However the multiplayer and bot matches were amazing and did a similar job bridging the game between PC FPS and that of consoles. The difference? Hype, mostly (though I'll go over this later, keep on).
3. This may be true, but a lot of that DNA is shared by games prior to Halo. You know, like PC FPS, or Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. Some of the other similarities are abstract at best. Though you're right about the small amount of other similarities that slip through these little gaps, Halo did affect several games after it. I would also be willing to attribute this highly to hype as well, hype drives review scores (see: GTAIV, absolutely not
worth 97% average. Absolutely not
the second best game ever made), review scores drive sales, sales drive how games are developed (it sells well -> devs see there's a market -> devs try to appeal to this market, it only makes sense to do this if you want to make money).
4. First off it doesn't need to be a Halo killer, it doesn't need to be a HL2 killer; it was out before these. Maybe it had to be a Goldeneye killer. Maybe it wasn't this, but I don't see Halo as one either. Again; hype, hype hype. It doesn't matter how good a character is, if you have millions of people buying the game the character will become popular.
By the way, Master Chief is probably the most overrated character in the history of gaming, narrowly topping Cloud Strife (the only reason for this is that at least Cloud had a strong backstory, that said he's still way overrated). Whether you like the game of not the fact is that as a character he completely lacks depth, personality, etc. And no, that's not the point
, that's an excuse.
As mentioned before, if you really only care about metacritic and gamerankings scores then I guess you agree that GTAIV is the second best game ever made (yes, better than all your halo games) sitting at a score of 97.4% gamerankings and 98% metacritic? Otherwise you might be seen as a bit of a hypocrite. These scores are just as subjective as any other, even if they are an average.
Also gamerankings (which I believe to be superior to metacritic, but only after a while after the game has been released, as it's slower in updates but generally only uses more recognized sources) tells a slightly different tale. Still a win for Halo, but:
Timesplitters avg score on GR: 83.7%
Timesplitters 2 avg score on GR: 91.5%
Timesplitters Future Perfect avg score on GR: 85.6%
Halo CE avg score on GR: 95.4%
Halo 2 avg score on GR: 94.5%
Halo 3 avg score on GR: 93.4%
While Halo is still in the lead it's barely ahead of TS2, a far less hyped game. I don't know how you feel about these games, but if you want to use this as a definitive reason for Halo to be better than TS:2 then you have to also accept that the following games are better than Halo:
~ Tekken 3
~ Super Mario Galaxy
~ The Orange Box
~ Metroid Prime
~ Resident Evil 4
~ Legend of Zelda OoT
~ Sould Calibur
and ~ Half Life 2
If you agree with all that, and you agree that Halo 3 doesn't deserve a place in the top 50, then go ahead. I will accept your argument as completely valid. Otherwise I don't think this argument holds any ground.
5. I'm a Timesplitters fanboy. Completely willing to accept this, back in 2000 TS changed console gaming for me massively, probably the same way Halo did for you.
Anyways, that's enough for that. I don't think arguing this will get anywhere, we will just continue to disagree. I accept that you love Halo, that's fine. Other people love other games. Some people don't love any games.
m-m-m-MONSTER POST. Honestly, that was far too much post for such a topic.