Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Anyone here got 4ghz on a i7 920?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone here got 4ghz on a i7 920? - Page 3

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm666 View Post
User 003 states the max voltage for 45nm is 1.55vCore.

I personally won't go over 1.375 on my Quad - the Dual is running at 1.4.
for the core2 line, max safe on 65nm was 1.55v and core2 45nm chips were 1.3625.

personally, after spending all that money on a nice brand nice chip, I wouldn't put more than 1.35 in it.
Main Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 3.2Ghz Asus 750i P5N-D evga 9800gtx 512mb G.Skill 2x2gb PC-8500 DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
320gb 16mb cache Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 932BW 19" Apevia Warlock - 750 watt 
Case
CoolerMaster 690 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 3.2Ghz Asus 750i P5N-D evga 9800gtx 512mb G.Skill 2x2gb PC-8500 DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
320gb 16mb cache Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 932BW 19" Apevia Warlock - 750 watt 
Case
CoolerMaster 690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 38
Try 1.35 vqpi
cpu clock skew of 800
the other clock skew at 900
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus Pro Sapphire 6970 Corsair 4x4 
Hard DriveOSPowerMouse Pad
corsair 300 win 7 x64 None My desk 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus Pro Sapphire 6970 Corsair 4x4 
Hard DriveOSPowerMouse Pad
corsair 300 win 7 x64 None My desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 38
Thread Starter 
anyway im back, i left my computer running OCCT and when i left, it had been running for almost 2 hours, no errors. I'm back now though, 4 or 5 hours later, and it seems my computer has restarted. It may have been updates, thats what i suspect, i dont think it was instability. And someone stated before that for the i7 max Vcore was like 1.37 or something. Seems if I pull it down from the 1.43 that i have now its really unstable. My QPI voltage is at 1.56, is it too much? Lazman said before that he got 4.1ghz on 1.38vcore and 1.36 QPI. Is my QPI voltage too high?
Seiko
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K Asus P8Z68 EVGA GTX 580 Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz 8Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1 x Intel 530 120GB (BOOT); 1 x Western Digital... LG Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 27" Corsair K65 RGB Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Sensei Wireless Steelseries 9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Seiko
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K Asus P8Z68 EVGA GTX 580 Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz 8Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1 x Intel 530 120GB (BOOT); 1 x Western Digital... LG Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 27" Corsair K65 RGB Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Sensei Wireless Steelseries 9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymackay View Post
anyway im back, i left my computer running OCCT and when i left, it had been running for almost 2 hours, no errors. I'm back now though, 4 or 5 hours later, and it seems my computer has restarted. It may have been updates, thats what i suspect, i dont think it was instability. And someone stated before that for the i7 max Vcore was like 1.37 or something. Seems if I pull it down from the 1.43 that i have now its really unstable. My QPI voltage is at 1.56, is it too much? Lazman said before that he got 4.1ghz on 1.38vcore and 1.36 QPI. Is my QPI voltage too high?


I suggest you slow down and ask yourself what the limitation of your RAM is. I have Corsair XMS 3 DRR3 1600, now, not only did I buy this because it the best price/performance but it enables you to safely overclock the 920. If your RAM is limited this could be the reason youre volting your board so hard.

1.375 is stated as the max safe voltage for i7 above and I would consider to take Intel's words on permanent damage, (1.8v dimm RAM = RAM death in 4 weeks) it may not be immediate but you will burn it out. DO yourself a favor and settle for 3.8 GHZ like i did.

3.8 GHZ i7 920.

I'm running between 1.34 or 1.36 Vcore and about 1.33-1.36 QPI voltage. Change Blck Mult to 190, QPI should be running at 3.42 GHZ, my DDR3 is running at the recommended max of 1.65v DDR3 1520MHZ @ 9-9-9-23/24. I only settled for 1520MHZ on my 1600 because it couldn't fall right on 1600 with the tweak I made to timing and voltage.

I've researched and talked to various people apparently the key factor is keeping Vcore and QPI within 0.5V of each other otherwise you will instantly fry your board, I managed to almost match them which surprises me.

Sure you want to be a tough guy and get world record clocks but if i chose to run my 3.8 Ghz forever as opposed to 4.1 to 4.2 for a couple of weeks, I'd choose the former.
post #25 of 38
There is NO "max safe votage".. only the max voltage you decide to pump through the poor CPU. Whatever the manufacturer rating is, we all know from previous experience, that the 'limits' set by Intel are easily and relatively safely exceeded, provided you have the cooling potential to keep your CPU below 60c or so.

Also, you should always go by the voltage as set in BIOS..as your "Real Vcore" ...the amount of voltage seen in Windows is after "Vcore Droop".

*Max I will run on a 45nm CPU is ~1.6v on water for benching and 1.55v for daily use..~1.7v benching for 65nm and 1.65v for daily use.
post #26 of 38
Do not use the gigabyte extreme guide your system will die quickly, they overvolt alot of the components.

When the newer Bios is released for the gigabyte im gonna have a go at getting bubbleless I7 higher than 3ghz.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
There is NO "max safe votage".. only the max voltage you decide to pump through the poor CPU. Whatever the manufacturer rating is, we all know from previous experience, that the 'limits' set by Intel are easily and relatively safely exceeded, provided you have the cooling potential to keep your CPU below 60c or so.

Also, you should always go by the voltage as set in BIOS..as your "Real Vcore" ...the amount of voltage seen in Windows is after "Vcore Droop".

*Max I will run on a 45nm CPU is ~1.6v on water for benching and 1.55v for daily use..~1.7v benching for 65nm and 1.65v for daily use.
Don't get me started on the affects of errata. Even if you cooled the processor sufficiently the immense amount of electricity flowing through the transistors in the processor creates magnetic fields strong enough to cause EMI (electro-magnetic-interference) between the nano sized gaps between transistors, causing processor instablility/crashes. That's why an i7 can only reach 5.5 GHZ even with liquid nitrogen keeping the processor at below freezing temperature (not to mention extreme measures for chipset and RAM cooling), but imagine how long all those components would really last even if you were to keep the cooling constant...

My definition of safe voltage is keeping the CPU alive and stable for eternity/next CPU upgrade. If I get another 1.2 GHZ staying within in the limits, then I'm satisfied. Intel set standards, but I honestly don't remember Intel being so vocal about "frying CPU/RAM" in their first announcement of a new processor. When the first 65nm came out they never publicly announced "DON'T VOLT THIS UP". You think Intel forced all Motherboard and RAM manufacturers to bump their vdimm down to 1.5 for ****S and GIGGLES? I think not.

i7's are new so we haven't had time to really see. You can gamble, but I'd rather play it safe until I buy my next CPU, if that means sacrificing a measley 200-300 MHZ for 100% life and stability so be it.

I guess I'm talking more about the RAM than the CPU but they're connected so it viable to say the RAM can take the CPU with it.

Life of DDR3 at Tested Voltages sufficiently cooled:

1.90v vdimm / 1.1 vtt = dead after 10 hours
1.65v vdimm / 1.20 vtt = ok forever
1.80v vdimm / 1.30 vtt = ok for 4 weeks
1.95v vdimm / 1.40 vtt = ok for 2 weeks
2.05v vdimm / 1.45 vtt = ok for 2 weeks
2.30v vdimm / 1.35 vtt = ok for 1 week (cold)

I didn't see the actual calculations but I'm guessing it's an exponential effect. At 1.7v vdimm maybe its like a year and 1.75v vdimm is 6 months, who knows. If your RAM can't support the OC at 1.65v you're gambling. You also aren't thinking that the memory controller are now integrated in the i7 which means the electricity is bound directly with the vdimm this changes things A LOT.
Edited by Cyberpunx - 12/27/08 at 12:51pm
post #28 of 38
OP, tell me if you can get the settings like I stated above to get 3.8 GHZ
post #29 of 38
http://images.tweaktown.com/imageban...2.12_(ENG).pdf
Unsafe voltages, though..
..a

(Edit - sorry, didn't realize this was already mentioned above..)
Edited by eflyguy - 12/27/08 at 3:07pm
Galadium
(13 items)
 
Raptor
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 965 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R EAH-4350 Silent 6x4GB GSkill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
X25M 80GB + 2x7200.11 500GB + WD 1TB Green Samsung OEM Win7 professional 64-bit Dell 3008WFP 
PowerCase
Antec TP-750 Antec 300 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Deluxe GTX 260 6x2GB Patriot PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
X25M 80GB, Samsung 1TB EcoGreen, others Pioneer DVR-213LS Vista x64 Dell W3008WFP 
PowerCase
Antec TPC-850 Antec 1200 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 333x9 ga-ep45-ud3p FX5500 4 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Many and varied Samsung OEM SH-S223 Win7 Enterprise 64-bit kvm to Acer X241W 
PowerCase
Antec Basic 500 Antec 300 mod'd 
  hide details  
Reply
Galadium
(13 items)
 
Raptor
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 965 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R EAH-4350 Silent 6x4GB GSkill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
X25M 80GB + 2x7200.11 500GB + WD 1TB Green Samsung OEM Win7 professional 64-bit Dell 3008WFP 
PowerCase
Antec TP-750 Antec 300 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Deluxe GTX 260 6x2GB Patriot PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
X25M 80GB, Samsung 1TB EcoGreen, others Pioneer DVR-213LS Vista x64 Dell W3008WFP 
PowerCase
Antec TPC-850 Antec 1200 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 333x9 ga-ep45-ud3p FX5500 4 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Many and varied Samsung OEM SH-S223 Win7 Enterprise 64-bit kvm to Acer X241W 
PowerCase
Antec Basic 500 Antec 300 mod'd 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Don't get me started on the affects of errata. Even if you cooled the processor sufficiently the immense amount of electricity flowing through the transistors in the processor creates magnetic fields strong enough to cause EMI (electro-magnetic-interference) between the nano sized gaps between transistors, causing processor instablility/crashes. That's why an i7 can only reach 5.5 GHZ even with liquid nitrogen keeping the processor at below freezing temperature (not to mention extreme measures for chipset and RAM cooling), but imagine how long all those components would really last even if you were to keep the cooling constant...

My definition of safe voltage is keeping the CPU alive and stable for eternity/next CPU upgrade. If I get another 1.2 GHZ staying within in the limits, then I'm satisfied. Intel set standards, but I honestly don't remember Intel being so vocal about "frying CPU/RAM" in their first announcement of a new processor. When the first 65nm came out they never publicly announced "DON'T VOLT THIS UP". You think Intel forced all Motherboard and RAM manufacturers to bump their vdimm down to 1.5 for ****S and GIGGLES? I think not.

i7's are new so we haven't had time to really see. You can gamble, but I'd rather play it safe until I buy my next CPU, if that means sacrificing a measley 200-300 MHZ for 100% life and stability so be it.

I guess I'm talking more about the RAM than the CPU but they're connected so it viable to say the RAM can take the CPU with it.

Life of DDR3 at Tested Voltages sufficiently cooled:

1.90v vdimm / 1.1 vtt = dead after 10 hours
1.65v vdimm / 1.20 vtt = ok forever
1.80v vdimm / 1.30 vtt = ok for 4 weeks
1.95v vdimm / 1.40 vtt = ok for 2 weeks
2.05v vdimm / 1.45 vtt = ok for 2 weeks
2.30v vdimm / 1.35 vtt = ok for 1 week (cold)

I didn't see the actual calculations but I'm guessing it's an exponential effect. At 1.7v vdimm maybe its like a year and 1.75v vdimm is 6 months, who knows. If your RAM can't support the OC at 1.65v you're gambling. You also aren't thinking that the memory controller are now integrated in the i7 which means the electricity is bound directly with the vdimm this changes things A LOT.
All of what you wrote is fine and dandy..but at the 'end of the day'..bottom line, is:

People will run as much voltage as they are comfortable with...for 24.7 use or for benching purposes..regardless of spec.

If you have the cooling capacity to run a high vcore for daily use..then great..use it to the fullest. If not, thats fine too..just dont discourage those that do, from clocking higher.

My opinion: If you can keep it cool..clock it higher...voltage is just a means to the end result.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Anyone here got 4ghz on a i7 920?