Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › GPU or CPU cause lag in game.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GPU or CPU cause lag in game.

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I know i shouldn't base much on a MMORPG. but i got the hd 4870 512mb not to long back and have been rather disapointed with how WOW runs all around. I cant have it on all high settings or it will lag bad and everything seems to not run as smooth as i would think my system should.

could it be my CPU isnt up to par? or that the PCIe slot isnt a 2.0?

I know the card can run in both PCIe slots, but is it that much difference?


sorry for the stupid questions, i just dont think it should be running like this.


and i have the hd 4870 set right now to the catalyst OC settings at 790.
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 21
strange, it s houldnt even lag at all with wow, even though your cpu is a bottleneck, it shouldnt have any lag in wow at ALL considering a 7900gs can max out the game.

..something seems wrong.
the budget system
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
wolfdale e7300 Biostar P43 Msi gtx260 Crucial Ballistx ddr2 800mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB Seagate Barracuda Lite-on dvdrw/cdrw Windows XP 64 Pro Hanns G 17'' widescreen 
PowerCase
Rosewill 500W Cooler Master 590 
  hide details  
Reply
the budget system
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
wolfdale e7300 Biostar P43 Msi gtx260 Crucial Ballistx ddr2 800mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB Seagate Barracuda Lite-on dvdrw/cdrw Windows XP 64 Pro Hanns G 17'' widescreen 
PowerCase
Rosewill 500W Cooler Master 590 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by askareem24 View Post
strange, it s houldnt even lag at all with wow, even though your cpu is a bottleneck, it shouldnt have any lag in wow at ALL considering a 7900gs can max out the game.

..something seems wrong.
that's what i think. but the new WOTLK expansion seems to more of a load than previous, but not to make me run that bad i wouldnt think.

for instance my fps in dalaran at the moment is in the 20's when people are around.
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcharger View Post
that's what i think. but the new WOTLK expansion seems to more of a load than previous, but not to make me run that bad i wouldnt think.

for instance my fps in dalaran at the moment is in the 20's when people are around.
In the video options on WoW the 3 settings on the far right I can't remember the names off hand (im at work so no wow) stuff about texture. Drop those to lesser quality. Also the shadowing takes a good chunk lower that. Full screen glow effect does nothing but drops your fps by almost 15 frames.

Otherwise if its still lagging out is it your server? Most of the WoW servers are dying atm and lagging massively.

Is it giving you similar problems in other games?

Edit:

I wouldn't use Dalaran as your point of comparison or testing purposes. Dalaran has a huge server side lag to it as well its a small city with as many people as shattrath used to hold.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 ASUS 390 STRIX G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Evo 250gb x2 WD 3tb Green Corsair H80i Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Samsung 27" S27D390H Filco Brown Switch Corsair HX850 Corsair 330r Carbide 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Sphex Logitech z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 ASUS 390 STRIX G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Evo 250gb x2 WD 3tb Green Corsair H80i Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Samsung 27" S27D390H Filco Brown Switch Corsair HX850 Corsair 330r Carbide 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Sphex Logitech z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 21
Do you have 2 PCIe Slots? If the answer is yes, try to put it on the slot far from the cpu, the secondary one. I know many people with this problem on AMD boards with nVidia chipset (See threads on this forum, where users have trouble with 4870x2 and low performance). Try to run 3dmark06 on both slots, and tell us.

Regards.

Sorry for my english. I'm spanish
Pepinillo gastón
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290X 8Gb 16Gb GSKill Rip-Jaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD 128Gb + 8Tb (4 HDDs) Windows 10 professional x64 Dell U2711 Apple Keyboard (wired) 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair Modular CX850m Logitech G9 Yamaha RN-500 + B&W 220i 
  hide details  
Reply
Pepinillo gastón
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290X 8Gb 16Gb GSKill Rip-Jaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD 128Gb + 8Tb (4 HDDs) Windows 10 professional x64 Dell U2711 Apple Keyboard (wired) 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair Modular CX850m Logitech G9 Yamaha RN-500 + B&W 220i 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMasterMX View Post
In the video options on WoW the 3 settings on the far right I can't remember the names off hand (im at work so no wow) stuff about texture. Drop those to lesser quality. Also the shadowing takes a good chunk lower that. Full screen glow effect does nothing but drops your fps by almost 15 frames.

Otherwise if its still lagging out is it your server? Most of the WoW servers are dying atm and lagging massively.

Is it giving you similar problems in other games?

Edit:

I wouldn't use Dalaran as your point of comparison or testing purposes. Dalaran has a huge server side lag to it as well its a small city with as many people as shattrath used to hold.

ill try that tonight i am at work as well.

not sure about that on other games cause honestly i dont play any other.

I might if they make star wars galaxies back the way it was when it came out, but otherwise i play wow enough.

server is bloodscalp, but my friends with an 8800gts don't seem to be having as much trouble, course not sure what there CPU is.
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAN_oC View Post
Do you have 2 PCIe Slots? If the answer is yes, try to put it on the slot far from the cpu, the secondary one. I know many people with this problem on AMD boards with nVidia chipset (See threads on this forum, where users have trouble with 4870x2 and low performance). Try to run 3dmark06 on both slots, and tell us.

Regards.

Sorry for my english. I'm spanish
np man.

and thanks i will try that also. I will run the tests tonight.


also my board is msi with ati chipset, so would that make a difference still?
Edited by stangcharger - 12/19/08 at 11:21am
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 21
Mmm... Perhaps your PCIe slot is working in 1x mode... Did you try with catalyst 8.12? I'll wait till tonight to see the results of the tests, and to be sure if there is a problem with all games/soft or perhaps only a driver / software problem with WOW.

Check with GPU-Z that PCIe is running at 16x, and test 3dmark or any known GPU bench (to compare results with another rigs and see if there's too much difference)

I didn't test WOW on my PC, but if it comes bundled with Catalyst, is supposed to be optimized for them, right?

Rgds!

EDIT: Did you upgrade from a nVidia card, or from ATI? If you upgraded from nVidia card, you must make a fresh install of windows to make it work properly.
Edited by FrAN_oC - 12/19/08 at 11:31am
Pepinillo gastón
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290X 8Gb 16Gb GSKill Rip-Jaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD 128Gb + 8Tb (4 HDDs) Windows 10 professional x64 Dell U2711 Apple Keyboard (wired) 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair Modular CX850m Logitech G9 Yamaha RN-500 + B&W 220i 
  hide details  
Reply
Pepinillo gastón
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290X 8Gb 16Gb GSKill Rip-Jaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD 128Gb + 8Tb (4 HDDs) Windows 10 professional x64 Dell U2711 Apple Keyboard (wired) 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair Modular CX850m Logitech G9 Yamaha RN-500 + B&W 220i 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAN_oC View Post
Mmm... Perhaps your PCIe slot is working in 1x mode... Did you try with catalyst 8.12? I'll wait till tonight to see the results of the tests, and to be sure if there is a problem with all games/soft or perhaps only a driver / software problem with WOW.

Check with GPU-Z that PCIe is running at 16x, and test 3dmark or any known GPU bench (to compare results with another rigs and see if there's too much difference)

I didn't test WOW on my PC, but if it comes bundled with Catalyst, is supposed to be optimized for them, right?

Rgds!

EDIT: Did you upgrade from a nVidia card, or from ATI? If you upgraded from nVidia card, you must make a fresh install of windows to make it work properly.
upgraded from a 8600gts nvidia. not sure if that was before or after i switched to vista ultimate.
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackHawk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 945 3.6 ghz O/C MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX 4890 G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor 128gb SSD / F3 1TB Windows 7 HP 64 bit ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms 950W PSU 
Case
XCLIO Blackhawk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 21
If you did the upgrade after installing the system, that is the problem. When I upgraded to my CF setup, from a 8800GTS, I had to reinstall the system. I had the same problems as you: Poor performance, random BSODs, CF not working... A fresh install solved my problem. You can try just searching any file related to nvidia drivers (nvidia folder on your primary HDD, nvXXXX.dll on windows system...)

If thats the problem, a fresh install would be needed.

Everyone that upgraded from nVidia stuff, needed to reinstall the operating system.

RGDS
Pepinillo gastón
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290X 8Gb 16Gb GSKill Rip-Jaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD 128Gb + 8Tb (4 HDDs) Windows 10 professional x64 Dell U2711 Apple Keyboard (wired) 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair Modular CX850m Logitech G9 Yamaha RN-500 + B&W 220i 
  hide details  
Reply
Pepinillo gastón
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290X 8Gb 16Gb GSKill Rip-Jaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD 128Gb + 8Tb (4 HDDs) Windows 10 professional x64 Dell U2711 Apple Keyboard (wired) 
PowerMouseAudio
Corsair Modular CX850m Logitech G9 Yamaha RN-500 + B&W 220i 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › GPU or CPU cause lag in game.