Overclock.net banner

a new cpu, e5200 vs e7200

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  razr7 
#1 ·
hello!

right now, it's christmas and this means that i have an opportunity to upgrade my rig by several pieces again. my current rig is getting pretty outdated and i think i will make only 1 or 2 upgrades to it, then i'll not be upgrading it anymore.

current setup:
cpu: intel P4 3,0Ghz
mobo: intel cherry creek D915PCY
ram: 1,5GB 533Mhz (will upgrade to 2,5, maybe more after)
gfx: radeon HD3850 512MB
psu: 550w

now i want to upgrade the cpu. what bothers me, is if i should buy an intel e5200 or 7200. the mobo is a piece of ***** and matches with the e5200 fsb speed. e7200's fsb is too high for my current mobo. now i am thinking if i should buy 5200 or 7200 and a new mobo next year. discuss. (buying a new mobo next year would mean i will overclock my gfx and cpu)

See less See more
#2 ·
your motherboard cannot run these procesors

http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-026950.htm

Your graphic card is good and your psu and case wont make much difference. You may want to upgrade your motherboard and buy a compatable cpu + ram to go with it. I know its a bit hefty but no upgrade on your current motherboard is worth it.

Where are you from? I can post links to a good combo. Also if budget is in mind E5200 is a great choice, that is if you can get a motherboard to go with it.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by totakad
View Post

now i want to upgrade the cpu. what bothers me, is if i should buy an intel e5200 or 7200. the mobo is a piece of ***** and matches with the e5200 fsb speed. e7200's fsb is too high for my current mobo. now i am thinking if i should buy 5200 or 7200 and a new mobo next year. discuss. (buying a new mobo next year would mean i will overclock my gfx and cpu)

The e5200's FSB is 800 and in theory it should work on your mobo, but in reality it won't work. There is a thing called VRM - the voltage regulators - wich supply power to the CPU. Your mobo is designed to wotk with Pentium4/D class CPUs, not with new C2D/Pentium DC.

Now about the e5200, you should know it can OC, but up to around 3.4-3.6, maybe more depending on the sample. I can do 3.7GHz on mine, but since I don't need the power I keep it at 3.3GHz for a cool 24°C.
The mobo advice: Gigabyte EP45 DS3L; if you're in the merket for some more expensive ones, the EP45 DS3R such as the one I own is very nice too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.