Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [OCXtreme]Testing Phenom II 940
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OCXtreme]Testing Phenom II 940 - Page 4

post #31 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
I'd take a Wolfdale over it to get 4.2+ghz at 1.36V over 4ghz at 1.57V :|
You seem to know nothing about High-K metal gate technology (Intel's choice) vs SoI (AMD & IBM's choice). And still you make direct comparison frequency to frequency, voltage to voltage.

The second thing is that Wolfdale is dual-core, not quad, not even native quad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9voltchicken View Post
Not to mention I've seen cpu-z reading inaccurate voltages on more than one occasion. Voltages aside, reaching a stable 1 ghz overclock on a brand new manufacturing process on an amd processor? This is good stuff.
The voltages seems to be correct, because they used the same CPU-Z at the Dragon Event Chicago.
Edited by metala - 12/20/08 at 10:47am
Ferberite
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 AMD Radeon HD 6630M 6GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
Samsung 850EVO HITACHI HTS727550A9E364 7.2krpm Debian 7.0 Win7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win8 15.6 Zoll 16:9, 1366x768 Pixel, AUO23EC, spiege... 24" Dell U2412M, 1920x1200 Integrated + External 
PowerCase
20V, 4.5A Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 
  hide details  
Reply
Ferberite
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 AMD Radeon HD 6630M 6GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
Samsung 850EVO HITACHI HTS727550A9E364 7.2krpm Debian 7.0 Win7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win8 15.6 Zoll 16:9, 1366x768 Pixel, AUO23EC, spiege... 24" Dell U2412M, 1920x1200 Integrated + External 
PowerCase
20V, 4.5A Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by metala View Post
You seem to know nothing about High-K metal gate technology (Intel's choice) vs SoI (AMD & IBM's choice). And still you make direct comparison frequency to frequency, voltage to voltage.
I'll admit I don't know the details, but it's still a CPU, and regardless of the little variations in the technology, more voltage is bad and makes it run hotter. And I hate frequency-to-frequency comparisons, that's what they're doing with the Phenom II at 6ghz on LN2, saying it'll be better than the i& because of that :/
Obsidian
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 3.6ghz 1.146v EVGA x58 GTX470 water 6GB 1600mhz 6-8-6-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD (80+60GB) HDD (2+2TB) Windows 7 x64 24" + 22" G15 
PowerCaseMouse
M12D 850W 800D G9 
  hide details  
Reply
Obsidian
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 3.6ghz 1.146v EVGA x58 GTX470 water 6GB 1600mhz 6-8-6-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD (80+60GB) HDD (2+2TB) Windows 7 x64 24" + 22" G15 
PowerCaseMouse
M12D 850W 800D G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
As you can see, in 3DMark06, the CPU score for the 4GHz Phenom II is 5846. I just did a run with my i7 920 at 3.8GHz, on the stock cooler, and scored 6491 for the CPU:
Hyperthreading makes a difference when using 3Dmark06's CPU test. As shown here, with HT on, CPU score is higher. In effect you are comparing 8threads of i7 to 4 threads of the PhenomII.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Inte...rived/?page=11
post #34 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin15sec View Post
Hyperthreading makes a difference when using 3Dmark06's CPU test. As shown here, with HT on, CPU score is higher. In effect you are comparing 8threads of i7 to 4 threads of the PhenomII.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Inte...rived/?page=11
So you're saying the comparison is rigged because the i7 is better made, lol

Hyper-threading makes a difference in many apps. MaximumPC saw a 20% average increase in performance on a lot of them, I think mostly big media-related and CPU-heavy ones.
Obsidian
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 3.6ghz 1.146v EVGA x58 GTX470 water 6GB 1600mhz 6-8-6-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD (80+60GB) HDD (2+2TB) Windows 7 x64 24" + 22" G15 
PowerCaseMouse
M12D 850W 800D G9 
  hide details  
Reply
Obsidian
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 3.6ghz 1.146v EVGA x58 GTX470 water 6GB 1600mhz 6-8-6-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD (80+60GB) HDD (2+2TB) Windows 7 x64 24" + 22" G15 
PowerCaseMouse
M12D 850W 800D G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
So you're saying the comparison is rigged because the i7 is better made, lol

Hyper-threading makes a difference in many apps. MaximumPC saw a 20% average increase in performance on a lot of them, I think mostly big media-related and CPU-heavy ones.
Im not saying one is better than the other. Im saying you should compare apples to apples.
post #36 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin15sec View Post
Im not saying one is better than the other. Im saying you should compare apples to apples.
It's important to see a comparison though. I mean how else do you choose which one to buy. AMD CPU's should only be benchmarked against AMD CPU's, and the same thing for Intel?

But then what would we talk about and have flame wars on? (RHETORICAL)
Obsidian
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 3.6ghz 1.146v EVGA x58 GTX470 water 6GB 1600mhz 6-8-6-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD (80+60GB) HDD (2+2TB) Windows 7 x64 24" + 22" G15 
PowerCaseMouse
M12D 850W 800D G9 
  hide details  
Reply
Obsidian
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 3.6ghz 1.146v EVGA x58 GTX470 water 6GB 1600mhz 6-8-6-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD (80+60GB) HDD (2+2TB) Windows 7 x64 24" + 22" G15 
PowerCaseMouse
M12D 850W 800D G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 119
well finally AMD came up with a good chip .. in terms of 3dmark06, this has the SAME performance as the core2 Q6xxx quads translate that score to vista ... would be like 4200 stock, ~ the same as i score at 3ghz pretty good AMD! now lets see some games benchmarks
Animal Mother
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 2600k 4.5Ghz 1.368v  Gigabyte Z68X UD3H B3 ver. 1.3 MSI GTX 780 Ti Twin Frozr IV @ 1180Mhz 16GB Kingston Hyperx Savage 1600Mhz 9.9.9.27 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston UV400 240GB SSD, WD 3x640GB, 1TB & 3TB  Noctua NHU12P SE2 w/ KAZE 1200RPM & 1800RPM Windows 10 x64 Samsung P2450H 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Redragon Karuna Corsair TX750W V2 Cooler Master 690 II Advanced Redragon Pegasus 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QcK XFi Gamer Fatality Pro + Plantronics Gamecom 777 
  hide details  
Reply
Animal Mother
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 2600k 4.5Ghz 1.368v  Gigabyte Z68X UD3H B3 ver. 1.3 MSI GTX 780 Ti Twin Frozr IV @ 1180Mhz 16GB Kingston Hyperx Savage 1600Mhz 9.9.9.27 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston UV400 240GB SSD, WD 3x640GB, 1TB & 3TB  Noctua NHU12P SE2 w/ KAZE 1200RPM & 1800RPM Windows 10 x64 Samsung P2450H 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Redragon Karuna Corsair TX750W V2 Cooler Master 690 II Advanced Redragon Pegasus 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QcK XFi Gamer Fatality Pro + Plantronics Gamecom 777 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
I'll admit I don't know the details, but it's still a CPU, and regardless of the little variations in the technology, more voltage is bad and makes it run hotter. And I hate frequency-to-frequency comparisons, that's what they're doing with the Phenom II at 6ghz on LN2, saying it'll be better than the i& because of that :/
Numerous folks have stated that the Phenom II runs cooler than the Core2 architecture at a given voltage, and even then you are comparing apples to oranges. P4's used to run at temperatures that would turn an A64 into goo.

I guess you must be really new at this because a chips overclocking capabilities on extreme cooling are typically a good indicator of its capabilities on water and air.

On top of that there have been at least 8-10 legitimate accounts that I've read of the chip hitting close to 4Ghz on the stock cooler with acceptable temps.

This is just plain an awesome chip, it's obvious to anyone who has been following things, and you guys are digging as deep as you can to try and find a way to bash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
So you're saying the comparison is rigged because the i7 is better made, lol

Hyper-threading makes a difference in many apps. MaximumPC saw a 20% average increase in performance on a lot of them, I think mostly big media-related and CPU-heavy ones.
Not in games, only in 3d06 and encoding, etc.
post #39 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
It's important to see a comparison though. I mean how else do you choose which one to buy. AMD CPU's should only be benchmarked against AMD CPU's, and the same thing for Intel?

But then what would we talk about and have flame wars on? (RHETORICAL)
I'm not debating that AMD is better. But 3Dmark06 gets inflated scores when you add cores and GPUs. It shouldn't be a problem for 003 to run the test without HT on, and then compare the scores. Even without HT on, he should still score higher, than the PhenomII 940, at lower clock.
post #40 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin15sec View Post
I'm not debating that AMD is better. But 3Dmark06 gets inflated scores when you add cores and GPUs. It shouldn't be a problem for 003 to run the test without HT on, and then compare the scores. Even without HT on, he should still score higher, than the PhenomII 940, at lower clock.
Not to mention which if he ran the test without HT that would be more representative of real world gaming scores; I could give a crap less about 3d06.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [OCXtreme]Testing Phenom II 940