Overclock.net banner

Fallout 3 New Game Crash. Every time.

95K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  02abarks 
#1 ·
Just got Fallout 3, system is up to date and listed in my sig. All of my drivers are up to date too. Installation went fine, and the launch program set the visual quality to maximum on everything.

I start the game, click 'New', and it crashes after displaying a loading screen for perhaps a second.

I read that this can be caused by FFDshow, which I didn't have. All the same, I downloaded and installed it and made fallout3.exe exempt in the video and audio configurations. Made no difference.

Oh, and I've also patched the game, but again to no avail. Is there anything I can do?

#9 ·
Try using driver cleaner pro to clean up your GPU drivers and then install the latest drivers. I was too lazy to uninstall the latest drivers and just installed the new ones on top a few days ago and I had to get driver cleaner pro cuz I didn't feel like scouring the registry myself.

Anyways, that should fix your problem. If not, then might wanna make sure your GPU is stable.

Also, you guys should fill out your specs a tad more. What type of CPU (not just core duo 2.4, but E2100, etc) and your PSU and whatnot.

#10 ·
I've been working on the same problem for 3 day now. It will work on my old P4 system,thats to slow.

#11 ·
Barry, did you recently changed GPU? If so, follow the steps I detailed above.

Recap:

Download and run driver cleaner pro.
Download latest drivers.
Install latest drivers.
Run the game, baby

If that doesn't work, perhaps you're running too hot? You aren't giving enough info; do you get artifacts, does it just close, does it blow up and catch fire, does it make ticking noises, etc.

#12 ·
I loaded everything fresh last weekend so all drivers are latest and no leftovers.I have tried to run the game at stock speeds and its still the same,It crashs as soon as i hit (Start a new game) I have went through and set some comtroles and everything was fine,no crash.I have loaded and reloaded it and didnt ness with any controls this time. I can watch the hole start up w/o problems.I really doesnt make sence because my P4 will run it and its has 6600gt with old drivers and it run XP pro so........
Its pissing me off is what its doing. I have been to the website for this game and i havent found any help. I know its something small and stupid that we're missing I just donr want to dismantle my sys to figure it out

#14 ·
Well.....I got it running
by enabling everything in my start menue. I'm in the game but i dont have any wepons why?

#15 ·
i have the same problem and have tried most of what everyone has said here except for the pro cleaner (attempted it and have no idea of finding out what my drivers are, but since its a newly installed windows xp professional with SP2 then you might know how to help) well yeah please help, this is a big burden to me and i just want to play fallout 3 so badly on the pc, all my system specs are as follows:

CPU maker:intel
CPU:Macbook running
Motherboard:Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2100 MHz (8 x 263)
Bios:Insyde (07/29/05)
Memory:988 MB
Display:Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Mouse:Apple Trackpad Enabler
Keyboard:HID Keyboard Device
Operating System:Windows XP Professional

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowcrazy View Post
i have the same problem and have tried most of what everyone has said here except for the pro cleaner (attempted it and have no idea of finding out what my drivers are, but since its a newly installed windows xp professional with SP2 then you might know how to help) well yeah please help, this is a big burden to me and i just want to play fallout 3 so badly on the pc, all my system specs are as follows:

CPU maker:intel
CPU:Macbook running
Motherboard:Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2100 MHz (8 x 263)
Bios:Insyde (07/29/05)
Memory:988 MB
Display:Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Mouse:Apple Trackpad Enabler
Keyboard:HID Keyboard Device
Operating System:Windows XP Professional
I'm going to guess that's the root of your problems. Onboard probably won't cut it for Fallout 3.

#19 ·
i havent been able to play for awhile.. i just installed the update and i still cant play. i know its not cuz my computer sucks cuz i had everything maxed out before it was crashing. my graphics card came overclocked from the factory by evga. speedfan says my graphics card is running at 126 degrees fahrenheit. i didnt think that was very hot. but i leave my computer on 24/7.. could that be my problem? i'm gonna turn it off when i go to bed, just to make sure.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattduh View Post
yeah i just bought the game the other day and this is really stupid, i wish there was some way to fix it
Try running in Windowed Mode?

#22 ·
i cant get the damn game to run for more than 20 seconds. Funny thing is i had a pirated copy and it worked fine, so i thought i should do the right thing and pay for it since i thought they deserved my money. What a crock. And on the support forums it just idiots who either give you a cop out or scapegoat your system. Its sad when there is almost 20 pages of people with problems with the game not running and they dont do anything to help but belittle and give you crap excuses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.