Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › How do I get rid of IE for default?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do I get rid of IE for default?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
When I go to the options under Google Chrome, and click Make Google Chrome my Default Web Browser, it doesn't do anything, and won't set it. Anyway to manually set it? I'm just sick of opening links in MSN, Steam, etc and having IE pop up

REP++++ for help as this annoys me everyday
My System
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690k 3.5ghz Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac Sapphire 270X Vapor X Kingston HyperX 2x2gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Samsung 850 Pro SATA LG DVD Burner Windows 8.1 Professional X64 23" Asus 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA 500w Gold EVGA Hadron Air Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690k 3.5ghz Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac Sapphire 270X Vapor X Kingston HyperX 2x2gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Samsung 850 Pro SATA LG DVD Burner Windows 8.1 Professional X64 23" Asus 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA 500w Gold EVGA Hadron Air Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
my mate says if you run chrome as admin(right click) then it does it.
³
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8400 @ 4Ghz Asus P5N-D Leadtek GTX 260 4GB OCZ Reaper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 320GB Samsung Vista Ultimate x64 Viewsonic 22" 1080p 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650 Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
³
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8400 @ 4Ghz Asus P5N-D Leadtek GTX 260 4GB OCZ Reaper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 320GB Samsung Vista Ultimate x64 Viewsonic 22" 1080p 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650 Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
There is nothing you can do. When files open in IE like that its because the stupid developers specifically tell IE to open.

Even if you removed IE it would still try to open it in IE, and would likely crash.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Go to start menu or Control panel (not sure which under Vista.) You should see something called "Set Default programs.." or something of that nature. Open it and there should be a section labeled "Custom." Expand the box and it should give you a list of web browsers to set as default.
post #5 of 8
First, you need to do this.

Open up IE -> tools -> internet options -> programs.

Check to see if it says IE is or is not your default browser. To see if IE is the problem.

After that, read this and do as it says.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...er-as-browser/
Raven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 @ 3.1ghz DFI x48 UT Sapphire 4870HD 1GB DDR5 Mushkin Redline (2 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Western Digital 500GB 7,200rpm Windows XP Logitech G15 Corsair 1000HX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 1200 Razer Copperhead Steel pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Raven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 @ 3.1ghz DFI x48 UT Sapphire 4870HD 1GB DDR5 Mushkin Redline (2 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Western Digital 500GB 7,200rpm Windows XP Logitech G15 Corsair 1000HX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 1200 Razer Copperhead Steel pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivorth View Post
When I go to the options under Google Chrome, and click Make Google Chrome my Default Web Browser, it doesn't do anything, and won't set it. Anyway to manually set it? I'm just sick of opening links in MSN, Steam, etc and having IE pop up

REP++++ for help as this annoys me everyday
If you're using vista, go to start and look for Default programs. click on that and it gives you a list of apps. you can make it default or change it to a diff application.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 3.8 Asus formular Rampage x48 Sapphire ATI HD4870x2 4gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
RAID0 3x500gb black WD&RAID0 2x500 seagate 7200.11 Windows 7 bits/Vista 64 bits SAMSUNG TOC 26" PC Power & Cooling 750W 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 3.8 Asus formular Rampage x48 Sapphire ATI HD4870x2 4gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
RAID0 3x500gb black WD&RAID0 2x500 seagate 7200.11 Windows 7 bits/Vista 64 bits SAMSUNG TOC 26" PC Power & Cooling 750W 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
my mate says if you run chrome as admin(right click) then it does it.
That didn't work
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
There is nothing you can do. When files open in IE like that its because the stupid developers specifically tell IE to open.

Even if you removed IE it would still try to open it in IE, and would likely crash.
I got it to work now, you have been misinformed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav5716 View Post
Go to start menu or Control panel (not sure which under Vista.) You should see something called "Set Default programs.." or something of that nature. Open it and there should be a section labeled "Custom." Expand the box and it should give you a list of web browsers to set as default.
Thank you, worked like a charm
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemency View Post
First, you need to do this.

Open up IE -> tools -> internet options -> programs.

Check to see if it says IE is or is not your default browser. To see if IE is the problem.

After that, read this and do as it says.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...er-as-browser/
Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3t_boy View Post
If you're using vista, go to start and look for Default programs. click on that and it gives you a list of apps. you can make it default or change it to a diff application.
It worked

Thank you all, rep+
Sooo much more bearable to use the computer now!
Edited by kaivorth - 12/20/08 at 6:22pm
My System
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690k 3.5ghz Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac Sapphire 270X Vapor X Kingston HyperX 2x2gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Samsung 850 Pro SATA LG DVD Burner Windows 8.1 Professional X64 23" Asus 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA 500w Gold EVGA Hadron Air Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690k 3.5ghz Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac Sapphire 270X Vapor X Kingston HyperX 2x2gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Samsung 850 Pro SATA LG DVD Burner Windows 8.1 Professional X64 23" Asus 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA 500w Gold EVGA Hadron Air Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
There is nothing you can do. When files open in IE like that its because the stupid developers specifically tell IE to open.

Even if you removed IE it would still try to open it in IE, and would likely crash.
This is true enough, but I don't think it's the problem the OP is having.

I think just setting up Google Chrome in Default Programs should fix it.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › How do I get rid of IE for default?