New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scarab - Page 177

post #1761 of 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
That aside, I would start by reading up on layering techniques and which ones serve the best purpose for torsional/stress durability.

Perhaps start with Quasi-isotropic layups.

Or, maybe watch this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...rch&plindex=0#

watched the first 10 min or so and he certainly has some helpful info on doing the layups; though some things he doesn't really seem to fully understand when it comes down to mechanics of materials and the actual fabrics, for example, tensile strength is measured in Pa (or psi) and the fabric weight is actually referring to the density of the fabric not the amount of resin necessary for the layup.
Also, he talks about using peel ply for a flat plate layup; this would only be necessary in that layup if he plans on laying further composites on top of it in the future. Peel ply is intended to be easily removed and leave a rough surface to which additional epoxy can easily adhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Epic indeed.

Basically I can only do design in my head and a very basic Sketchup picture-thingy (evidenced by my 1337 skills in the initial post.

I could really use some help in that arena.
my sketchup skills are very non-existent as I find Pro-E a lot better and easier to use; I tried sketchup once for a few minutes and I sucked at it so bad that I gave up and went back to Pro-E

That said, I can fairly easily transfer my thoughts or descriptions of items to a 3D model in Pro-E and even create individual components and place them into an overall assembly.
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1762 of 2446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by radodrill View Post
watched the first 10 min or so and he certainly has some helpful info on doing the layups; though some things he doesn't really seem to fully understand when it comes down to mechanics of materials and the actual fabrics, for example, tensile strength is measured in Pa (or psi) and the fabric weight is actually referring to the density of the fabric not the amount of resin necessary for the layup.
Also, he talks about using peel ply for a flat plate layup; this would only be necessary in that layup if he plans on laying further composites on top of it in the future. Peel ply is intended to be easily removed and leave a rough surface to which additional epoxy can easily adhere.

RADO! ...can you please keep it simple for us double-digit IQ'ers... please?



You're a little too smart there, and I mean that in the best of ways.


Quote:
Originally Posted by radodrill View Post
my sketchup skills are very non-existent as I find Pro-E a lot better and easier to use; I tried sketchup once for a few minutes and I sucked at it so bad that I gave up and went back to Pro-E

That said, I can fairly easily transfer my thoughts or descriptions of items to a 3D model in Pro-E and even create individual components and place them into an overall assembly.
Pfffff... from what I have seen Sketchup is childs play compared to Pro-E.

....but then again that is coming from a person that don't know squat: Me.

*sigh*

I really need to sit still long enough to learn more about such things.
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1763 of 2446
I'd love to get into CF, but money is the obvious restriction. I hope I hear more about the job.
Waka waka waka
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 II 955 BE @ 3.84GHz Biostar TA790GX A3+ Powercolor 5770 1GB (935/1280) Patriot 2gb DDR3 1333mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 500GB SATA Win7 Ultimate 32-bit Acer H233H IBM Model M 
PowerCaseMouse
Coolermaster 550w Mozart TX Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
Waka waka waka
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 II 955 BE @ 3.84GHz Biostar TA790GX A3+ Powercolor 5770 1GB (935/1280) Patriot 2gb DDR3 1333mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 500GB SATA Win7 Ultimate 32-bit Acer H233H IBM Model M 
PowerCaseMouse
Coolermaster 550w Mozart TX Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1764 of 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Pfffff... from what I have seen Sketchup is childs play compared to Pro-E.

....but then again that is coming from a person that don't know squat: Me.

*sigh*

I really need to sit still long enough to learn more about such things.
Sketchup is not nearly as powerful as Pro-E, yet people who have done CAD before will struggle with Sketchup because Sketchup is so different from professional CAD software. The control scheme and the way you manipulate objects is very different, so the people with prior CAD experience are at a serious disadvantage(IMHO) when using Sketchup for the first time.

If you haven't already, I highly suggest that you watch the Google tutorial videos on how to use Sketchup if/when you decide to sit down and work on your sketching skills. I found the videos very helpful when I was starting out. Also, I suggest that you make heavy use of the component feature so that your model does not turn into a gigantic amorphous blob.
BlackBox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.6ghz @ 1.35V Gigabyte X38-DS4 ATI 5870 4GB Corsair Dominator 1033Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi P7K500 320GB 64-bit Gentoo Linux / 64-bit Vista Ultimate Sceptre X24-WG 24" WUXGA Deck 82-key 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX BlackBox (scratch built) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackBox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.6ghz @ 1.35V Gigabyte X38-DS4 ATI 5870 4GB Corsair Dominator 1033Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi P7K500 320GB 64-bit Gentoo Linux / 64-bit Vista Ultimate Sceptre X24-WG 24" WUXGA Deck 82-key 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX BlackBox (scratch built) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1765 of 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
RADO! ...can you please keep it simple for us double-digit IQ'ers... please?



You're a little too smart there, and I mean that in the best of ways.
I guess it's apparent that I'm a mechanical engineer who has done composites and taken classes in mechanics of materials and mechanics of composite materials



Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Pfffff... from what I have seen Sketchup is childs play compared to Pro-E.

....but then again that is coming from a person that don't know squat: Me.

*sigh*

I really need to sit still long enough to learn more about such things.
Sketchup is not nearly as powerful as Pro-E, yet people who have done CAD before will struggle with Sketchup because Sketchup is so different from professional CAD software. The control scheme and the way you manipulate objects is very different, so the people with prior CAD experience are at a serious disadvantage(IMHO) when using Sketchup for the first time.

If you haven't already, I highly suggest that you watch the Google tutorial videos on how to use Sketchup if/when you decide to sit down and work on your sketching skills. I found the videos very helpful when I was starting out. Also, I suggest that you make heavy use of the component feature so that your model does not turn into a gigantic amorphous blob.
Agreed, the ease of use of sketchup vs a professional CADD package is relative; for someone who has no previous experience with 3D drafting or CADD Sketchup may be easier to learn, yet once you're used to one it's very hard to adjust. Although, professional CADD packages it's easier to make the transition from one to another since the procedure is essentially the same the major differences being in the user interface; however, this luxury does not exist when trying to switch to/from sketchup.
Additionally, as you indicated, most CADD packages have a lot of additional tools that simplify the modeling process and allow the creation of very complex geometries. An added bonus of using a professional CAD package is that the model can be imported into a CAM studio to allow the part to be made by CNC equipment.

I can say from personal experience that it is not hard to learn how to use a professional CAD package; for me the hardest was to learn to navigate the program and the basic procedures, once I had that covered it was rather easy to learn to do more complex stuff.

Another note: since Pro-E is the #1 CADD package in the industry, it can be quite advantageous to learn to use it if you plan to go into the engineering/design industry.
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1766 of 2446
Yeh Pro-E is a MILLION times more advanced than sketchup, but you can't beat sketchup for a fairly quick, good looking, very accurate model. I do mean it when i say accurate too. My MiniMe model is actually accurate to around 0.25mm, so for all my CAD drawings in 2D Design i have been taking the measurements directly off sketchup. I want to learn Pro-E though. I have experience using Cinema 4D, so i know how normal 3D modelling works, and yes i found it really difficult to move to sketchup after C4D, but after a while you just get into it really easily.

About a group design... that sounds sick! What kind of stuff were you thinking about? We all have special areas of expertise. Rado is amazing at electronics, i am fairly competent at them and have PCB manufacturing facilities (only for this year though). Syr is insane with acrylic and CF. I can do good sketchup and Rado can simulate the model in Pro-E. This could actually be rather cool...
What about some kind of ultra-modular design? Hotswap HDDs, hotswap 5.25 bays, hotswap expansion slots etc. And everything could be in it's own zone, so not only are the individual items modular, the entire case of HDD's can be pulled away.
POLARity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz MSI Big Bang Xpower 2x 5850 @ 765MHz/1120MHz 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 CL7 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair 64GB SSD | 4x Samsung F3 1TB RAID10 Win7 Professional 64bit Samsung P2770H 27" Roccat Arvo 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 850W POLARity TJ07 Roccat Kone Roccat Sota 
  hide details  
Reply
POLARity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz MSI Big Bang Xpower 2x 5850 @ 765MHz/1120MHz 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 CL7 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair 64GB SSD | 4x Samsung F3 1TB RAID10 Win7 Professional 64bit Samsung P2770H 27" Roccat Arvo 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 850W POLARity TJ07 Roccat Kone Roccat Sota 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1767 of 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverw92 View Post
Yeh Pro-E is a MILLION times more advanced than sketchup, but you can't beat sketchup for a fairly quick, good looking, very accurate model. I do mean it when i say accurate too. My MiniMe model is actually accurate to around 0.25mm, so for all my CAD drawings in 2D Design i have been taking the measurements directly off sketchup. I want to learn Pro-E though. I have experience using Cinema 4D, so i know how normal 3D modelling works, and yes i found it really difficult to move to sketchup after C4D, but after a while you just get into it really easily.

About a group design... that sounds sick! What kind of stuff were you thinking about? We all have special areas of expertise. Rado is amazing at electronics, i am fairly competent at them and have PCB manufacturing facilities (only for this year though). Syr is insane with acrylic and CF. I can do good sketchup and Rado can simulate the model in Pro-E. This could actually be rather cool...
What about some kind of ultra-modular design? Hotswap HDDs, hotswap 5.25 bays, hotswap expansion slots etc. And everything could be in it's own zone, so not only are the individual items modular, the entire case of HDD's can be pulled away.
I found Pro-E fairly easy to learn; and it terms of modeling a group design, it'd be best to do it all in Pro-E or other CADD package as it's near impossible to go import/export to/from Sketchup.

And I wouldn't say that I'm amazing with electronics; I'm just good at soldering and have a decent understanding about very basic circuit design, but I'm not good at complex circuit design.

Oh and an ultra modular design sounds cool; especially if it has automatic power/data disconnects.
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1768 of 2446
I've decided that I will pursue a BBA once I can go back to school.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8400 DFI LP DK P45-T2RS eVGA GTX 650 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.8TB Total LG Super DVD Burner SATA VII Enterprise x64 Gateway FHD2401 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VX550W NZXT Source 210 White Logitech G400 Razer Kabuto 
Audio
Creative Audigy 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8400 DFI LP DK P45-T2RS eVGA GTX 650 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.8TB Total LG Super DVD Burner SATA VII Enterprise x64 Gateway FHD2401 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VX550W NZXT Source 210 White Logitech G400 Razer Kabuto 
Audio
Creative Audigy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1769 of 2446
Yeh importing/exporting from sketchup is annoying, however it can import and export models fine, it's textures which go up the swanny. You could design something like a fan in Pro-E, then export it as a standard CAD file and i can import it into sketchup and then texture it there.

I'm thinking the only thing that couldn't be modular is the motherboard. So that would be like the only thing that can't be quick-disconnected.
POLARity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz MSI Big Bang Xpower 2x 5850 @ 765MHz/1120MHz 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 CL7 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair 64GB SSD | 4x Samsung F3 1TB RAID10 Win7 Professional 64bit Samsung P2770H 27" Roccat Arvo 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 850W POLARity TJ07 Roccat Kone Roccat Sota 
  hide details  
Reply
POLARity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz MSI Big Bang Xpower 2x 5850 @ 765MHz/1120MHz 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 CL7 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair 64GB SSD | 4x Samsung F3 1TB RAID10 Win7 Professional 64bit Samsung P2770H 27" Roccat Arvo 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 850W POLARity TJ07 Roccat Kone Roccat Sota 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1770 of 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverw92 View Post
You could design something like a fan in Pro-E
Done
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mod Work Logs