Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Switch CPU without OS Reinstall?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Switch CPU without OS Reinstall? - Page 2

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
sorry to argue this duckieho. this may be the case with intel cpu's (which i know we are in the intell section), this is not the case when switching of amd cpu's. each time i switch my cpu from dual core to tri core and tri core to quad core, i had to reinstall the os to get it to registar correctly. device manager seen them properly. but everthing else seen it as the old cpu. a format fixed the problem. but i guess its kind of a point less post seeing the section we are in.

sorry.
I've done it with single to dual core AMD CPUs before.

If device manager sees it correctly.... what is everything else?
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
sorry to argue this duckieho. this may be the case with intel cpu's (which i know we are in the intell section), this is not the case when switching of amd cpu's. each time i switch my cpu from dual core to tri core and tri core to quad core, i had to reinstall the os to get it to registar correctly. device manager seen them properly. but everthing else seen it as the old cpu. a format fixed the problem. but i guess its kind of a point less post seeing the section we are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbkdaz View Post
but you shouldnt need a reinstall or anything else that drastic
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I've done it with single to dual core AMD CPUs before.

If device manager sees it correctly.... what is everything else?
control panel/system, hwmonitor, cpuid, msconfig. basicly anything that detects the cpu besides device manager. i agree totally that with single core to duel core not a problem at all. but from dual to any other(tri core, quad core) i had to reformat.
these are my personal experience to. by the way.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
control panel/system, hwmonitor, cpuid, msconfig. basicly anything that detects the cpu besides device manager. i agree totally that with single core to duel core not a problem at all. but from dual to any other(tri core, quad core) i had to reformat.
these are my personal experience to. by the way.
Next time just delete the cpu in the device manager and redetect. No matter what it says.

You never have to reinstall with less than 5 device changes at once. Even then you can get creative. And you never have to reformat!
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
I've been having some bad performance, a bit choppy sometimes, which is why I ask. You really can't say too much without some 13-year old popping in and flaming you can you?

I'll keep looking around though, maybe i'll fix the performance issues. At 735/993 on my 4850 and 3.6GHz on the proc, I can get somewhere around 12.5K on 3dmark06. I know it's not the best benchmark, but I think I should still be getting higher scores. The CCC was at optimal performance too.

Rep+ for everyone who helped.
Edited by mth91 - 12/23/08 at 11:06am
Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 Cypress XT EF6 2GB 4GB (2x2GB) G.SKILL 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
32GB Corsair SSD + 2x 320 + 1x 250 Lightscribe drive Windows 7 Ultimate Hanns-G HG-216DPO 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard OCZ GameXStream 850W HAF 932 Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 Cypress XT EF6 2GB 4GB (2x2GB) G.SKILL 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
32GB Corsair SSD + 2x 320 + 1x 250 Lightscribe drive Windows 7 Ultimate Hanns-G HG-216DPO 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard OCZ GameXStream 850W HAF 932 Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
sorry to argue this duckieho. this may be the case with intel cpu's (which i know we are in the intell section), this is not the case when switching of amd cpu's. each time i switch my cpu from dual core to tri core and tri core to quad core, i had to reinstall the os to get it to registar correctly. device manager seen them properly. but everthing else seen it as the old cpu. a format fixed the problem. but i guess its kind of a point less post seeing the section we are in.

sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
Next time just delete the cpu in the device manager and redetect. No matter what it says.

You never have to reinstall with less than 5 device changes at once. Even then you can get creative. And you never have to reformat!
tell that to my computer after i had tried that and it didnt work.
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
sorry to argue this duckieho. this may be the case with intel cpu's (which i know we are in the intell section), this is not the case when switching of amd cpu's. each time i switch my cpu from dual core to tri core and tri core to quad core, i had to reinstall the os to get it to registar correctly. device manager seen them properly. but everthing else seen it as the old cpu. a format fixed the problem. but i guess its kind of a point less post seeing the section we are in.

sorry.
I've swapped an AMD Single core for an AMD Quad core, and it worked perfectly fine.
The Blue Wolf
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K - Delidded Gigabyte Z87X-OC MSI GTX 780 Ti  G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB - F3-2133C9Q-32GXH 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - OS Swamsung 850 EVO 500GB - Software/Games LG Bluray Burner Noctua D14 with NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 2000 PWM F... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell U2713HM IBM Model M Corsair AX1200 
CaseAudioAudioOther
CoolerMaster HAF X Blue Edition - Custom Side P... Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Cakewalk By Roland UA-25 EX Epiphan DVI2PCIe Capture card 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 3610QM Nvidia GTX 675m Crucial 32GB DDRIII PC12800 (4 x 8GB) 240GB Mushkin mSATA 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
64GB SanDisk mSATA 750GB Hitachi 7,200RPM 6x Blu-Ray Writer 8x DVDR/W Super Multi Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
17.3" Chimei N173HGE-L11 Panel Steelseries LED Backlit DynaAudio Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Blue Wolf
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K - Delidded Gigabyte Z87X-OC MSI GTX 780 Ti  G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB - F3-2133C9Q-32GXH 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - OS Swamsung 850 EVO 500GB - Software/Games LG Bluray Burner Noctua D14 with NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 2000 PWM F... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell U2713HM IBM Model M Corsair AX1200 
CaseAudioAudioOther
CoolerMaster HAF X Blue Edition - Custom Side P... Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Cakewalk By Roland UA-25 EX Epiphan DVI2PCIe Capture card 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 3610QM Nvidia GTX 675m Crucial 32GB DDRIII PC12800 (4 x 8GB) 240GB Mushkin mSATA 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
64GB SanDisk mSATA 750GB Hitachi 7,200RPM 6x Blu-Ray Writer 8x DVDR/W Super Multi Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
17.3" Chimei N173HGE-L11 Panel Steelseries LED Backlit DynaAudio Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mth91 View Post
I've been having some bad performance, a bit choppy sometimes, which is why I ask. You really can't say too much without some 13-year old popping in and flaming you can you?

I'll keep looking around though, maybe i'll fix the performance issues. At 735/993 on my 4850 and 3.6GHz on the proc, I can get somewhere around 12.5K on 3dmark06. I know it's not the best benchmark, but I think I should still be getting higher scores. The CCC was at optimal performance too.

Rep+ for everyone who helped.
it should be higher than that. 9850 +9800 i get 13xxx you should be similare if not higher than that.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
tell that to my computer after i had tried that and it didnt work.
If that doesn't work then the next step is to remove the pci bus and redetect.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
tell that to my computer after i had tried that and it didnt work.
It could be that you're the problem...

I'm sorry, I just wanted to sass someone whose rep is higher than the rent on my apartment.
Unicorn
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 @ 4.2 GHz (finally!) Asus P6T Deluxe V1 eVGA GTX460 1GB 6 GB Patriot 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60 GB Vertex 2, 1 TB HDD, 2x 500 MB non-RAID HDD LG Blu-ray Reader Windows 7 / XP Pro Samsung 2443 
PowerCase
850 Watt Antec Modded CM 690 
  hide details  
Reply
Unicorn
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 @ 4.2 GHz (finally!) Asus P6T Deluxe V1 eVGA GTX460 1GB 6 GB Patriot 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60 GB Vertex 2, 1 TB HDD, 2x 500 MB non-RAID HDD LG Blu-ray Reader Windows 7 / XP Pro Samsung 2443 
PowerCase
850 Watt Antec Modded CM 690 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Switch CPU without OS Reinstall?