Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Hardware]RV775 not coming.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Hardware]RV775 not coming. - Page 6

post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomfunk View Post
PCB and the chip itself are two different things. It's not like you can stick more SPs on unused PCB space, if you want more SPs you have to alter the chip design itself. And the chip size itself has no effect on the PCB space used, because the size of the IHS or the piece of board the chip is actually attached to (forgot the name...damn me) won't change unless there are major changes to the way the chip communicates with other machinery (widened memory bus for example).
Oops, used the wrong word. I meant the chip not the PCB.
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
I want to get the fastest single GPU card possible.This would appear to be the GTX285 which is due out in January. But if there is going to be a super RV770... would it be faster? Hmm... I doubt it, the 280 is faster than the current RV770, but you never know... OMG I just don't want to make the wrong choice, but I also don't want to wait until March for a HD4900, which may or may not even exist ...
honestly, just get the GTX 285 when it comes out, you can't put a price on 2 months of fun smooth gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkheii View Post
Oops, used the wrong word. I meant the chip not the PCB.
...then your point? sideport is just another chip on the PCB, does not effect the gpu's whatsoever.
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Does anyone with a 4870X2 care about power consumption? I mean 4870X2 is for no average games.
No, I don't care about power consumption of my hd4870x2. If i do, i wouldn't buy this card nor overclock my computer.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 3.8 Asus formular Rampage x48 Sapphire ATI HD4870x2 4gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
RAID0 3x500gb black WD&RAID0 2x500 seagate 7200.11 Windows 7 bits/Vista 64 bits SAMSUNG TOC 26" PC Power & Cooling 750W 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 3.8 Asus formular Rampage x48 Sapphire ATI HD4870x2 4gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
RAID0 3x500gb black WD&RAID0 2x500 seagate 7200.11 Windows 7 bits/Vista 64 bits SAMSUNG TOC 26" PC Power & Cooling 750W 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 59
Quote:
...then your point? sideport is just another chip on the PCB, does not effect the gpu's whatsoever.
It's not a chip on the PCB, it's a part of the GPU chips itself; the PCB is simply required to provide the physical connections to and from the two chips.

Well that's how I understood it anyways.
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomfunk View Post
It's not a chip on the PCB, it's a part of the GPU chips itself; the PCB is simply required to provide the physical connections to and from the two chips.

Well that's how I understood it anyways.
from my understanding, the plx chip is where sideport gets extra bandwidth.
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
from my understanding, the plx chip is where sideport gets extra bandwidth.


My bad then...

can anyone confirm this is the case?
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
...then your point? sideport is just another chip on the PCB, does not effect the gpu's whatsoever.
The die still has a Sideport interface, much like its memory interface and PCI-E interface. It is still die space. Another possibility is that it was extra die space in the first place, then decided to use it for extra bandwidth.



My guess is they will eventually put that to use, otherwise they're wasting a lot of resources manufacturing those Sideport chips for the 4870X2.
Edited by arkheii - 12/25/08 at 12:01am
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 59
Quote:
The die still has a Sideport interface, much like its memory interface and PCI-E interface. It is still die space.
If a separate sideport chip is indeed used (I assume this is the case), I would assume that the sideport support only uses an insignificant portion of the GPU, since most of the logic would be included on the separate sideport chip... therefore, removing sideport support would presumable only bring a negligible -if any at all- die size decrease / manufacturing cost reduction. So, they decided to leave it for future use.
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomfunk View Post
If a separate sideport chip is indeed used (I assume this is the case), I would assume that the sideport support only uses an insignificant portion of the GPU, since most of the logic would be included on the separate sideport chip... therefore, removing sideport support would presumable only bring a negligible -if any at all- die size decrease / manufacturing cost reduction. So, they decided to leave it for future use.
I was thinking that as well. But that external chip still costs money to manufacture and put on a PCB. I don't think manufacturers will let ATI get away with a dead feature that they still have to QA and everything unless ATI convinced them it's an investment for a future surprise.
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Hardware]RV775 not coming.