Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [fud]40 days and still no pay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[fud]40 days and still no pay - Page 3

post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
Absurd. Stargate is an extremely popular franchise worldwide and game sales would have been astronomical, especially considering it is an MMO game and not FPS as was originally planned.
you DO know that SGA has been cancelled? this is its last season.

i hate to see it go, i'm a huge Stargate fan.
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
adaptations of 1 media to another never work.
book to movie? no thanks, i'll just stick with the book
movie to game? i'll stick with the movie
game to movie? ... guess what?

only game to book has ever been done right...
but i guess i overestimated your ability to derive my point from what i said.
Being unclear in an argument doesn't mean the other person is stupid. Adaptations between different kinds of media can go very well so long as careful attention is paid. You're making a sweeping generalization and haven't even taken into account the markets included in the statement as you're clearly trying to force it towards the tv --> game argument. Just because some adaptations are poor doesn't mean all are; simple logic. If you need an example, manga to anime is a huge industry built on the idea of adaptation and if it didn't work at least most of the time, it wouldn't be nearly as profitable.

Don't confuse personal opinion with fact so much.
Igen
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 920 Gigabyte EX58-UD4P HIS Radeon HD6950 HIS Radeon HD6950 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
6 GB OCZ Plat DDR3 1600 Intel SSD LG 20x DVD/CD Combo Drive Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Late '09 27" iMac 2560x1440 Logitech G13 Thermaltake W0116RU 750W Corsair 500D Midtower 
Mouse
Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
Igen
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 920 Gigabyte EX58-UD4P HIS Radeon HD6950 HIS Radeon HD6950 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
6 GB OCZ Plat DDR3 1600 Intel SSD LG 20x DVD/CD Combo Drive Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Late '09 27" iMac 2560x1440 Logitech G13 Thermaltake W0116RU 750W Corsair 500D Midtower 
Mouse
Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 39
Noo..
I so want this to come out!
Companion Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 960T 870 Extreme3 R2.0 AMD 280x 12gb G..Skill 1333 mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120gb Intel 520 ssd + SAMSUNG 150 GB + Samsung... TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M ATA D Xigmatek S1283 Windows 8 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23.6" AOC E2461FWH Logitech Internet 350 Keyboard Corsair VX550W Shinobi FC-SH09A 
MouseAudio
Logitech Mouse Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
Companion Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 960T 870 Extreme3 R2.0 AMD 280x 12gb G..Skill 1333 mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120gb Intel 520 ssd + SAMSUNG 150 GB + Samsung... TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M ATA D Xigmatek S1283 Windows 8 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23.6" AOC E2461FWH Logitech Internet 350 Keyboard Corsair VX550W Shinobi FC-SH09A 
MouseAudio
Logitech Mouse Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
adaptations of 1 media to another never work.
book to movie? no thanks, i'll just stick with the book
movie to game? i'll stick with the movie
game to movie? ... guess what?

only game to book has ever been done right...
but i guess i overestimated your ability to derive my point from what i said.
The gaping holes in your logic were a little hard to look passed to decipher what you claim you meant to say. Besides, there are plenty of examples where there are successful movies based upon video games and video games based upon movies, which basically means even your alleged intended point is moot. Resident Evil and Star Wars, respectively, are two prime examples. Of course there will be fans of one medium that do not like the other, but if it makes enough money to push out sequel after sequel then I would call that successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner340 View Post
you DO know that SGA has been cancelled? this is its last season.

i hate to see it go, i'm a huge Stargate fan.
Stargate Universe starts in the second half of 2009, I believe.
Edited by stargate125645 - 12/24/08 at 11:58am
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 39
One of my friends is going to go crazy if this game isn't released. He is extremely all over Stargate. Apparently though since Sci-fi owns the TV rights, they kill their shows off after 5 years and just make a new iteration. He was telling me about this the other day, reasoning being after five years cost goes up considerably and we can all see how many of the things on the Sci-fi channel are about VERY low budgets....>.<
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 39
If they can just get the game out the door, then hopefully enough people will buy it for the devs to be paid to bring the game up to release quality.
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
adaptations of 1 media to another never work.
book to movie? no thanks, i'll just stick with the book
movie to game? i'll stick with the movie
game to movie? ... guess what?

only game to book has ever been done right...
but i guess i overestimated your ability to derive my point from what i said.
Only if you're a purist to the highest degree.
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA GTX 260 core 216 55nm 2gig x 2 G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250gb 7200RPM & 1TB samsung 5400 Windows 7 64bit Acer AL2216Wbd 22'' corsair 850tx 
Case
CM 690 stock 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA GTX 260 core 216 55nm 2gig x 2 G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250gb 7200RPM & 1TB samsung 5400 Windows 7 64bit Acer AL2216Wbd 22'' corsair 850tx 
Case
CM 690 stock 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
adaptations of 1 media to another never work.
book to movie? no thanks, i'll just stick with the book
movie to game? i'll stick with the movie
game to movie? ... guess what?

only game to book has ever been done right...
but i guess i overestimated your ability to derive my point from what i said.
Don't make fun of me for this but I found the Harry Potter movies to be quite entertaining.


So basically, your entire argument collapsed after I said that.
Saibot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 DFI P965-S Dark EvGa 8800GTX 2gigs G SKILL D9 4-4-4-12 DDR800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gig Seagates (RAID 0) DVD-ROM / CD-RW Microsoft XP Pro Acer 24" 1920x1200 5ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Gaming Keyboard Corsair hx620w Modular Ultra Aluminus: Glossy Black Razer Diamondback (red) 
Mouse Pad
Icemat v2 
  hide details  
Reply
Saibot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 DFI P965-S Dark EvGa 8800GTX 2gigs G SKILL D9 4-4-4-12 DDR800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gig Seagates (RAID 0) DVD-ROM / CD-RW Microsoft XP Pro Acer 24" 1920x1200 5ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Gaming Keyboard Corsair hx620w Modular Ultra Aluminus: Glossy Black Razer Diamondback (red) 
Mouse Pad
Icemat v2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
adaptations of 1 media to another never work.
book to movie? no thanks, i'll just stick with the book
movie to game? i'll stick with the movie
game to movie? ... guess what?

only game to book has ever been done right...
but i guess i overestimated your ability to derive my point from what i said.
Ummmm
Book to Movie =

Raging Bull
The Godfather
No Country For Old Men
A Clockwork Orange
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest


All of those I'm PRETTY SURE were better than the book accompanying them
That's quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever seen on this forum....

Although, I do agree with your second two points, in all cases I would take the original work against the one it's adapted from. Perhaps the reason filmmakers have been so successful in their endeavors is because there have been more intelligent people making those crossovers? Not to mention it's much easier to translate a book into a script....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAncE XD View Post
Don't make fun of me for this but I found the Harry Potter movies to be quite entertaining.


So basically, your entire argument collapsed after I said that.
No, not really, you didn't cite relevant examples because any nincompoop can see how horrible all of the Harry Potter films were (with the large exception of Prisoner of Azkaban)

Besides, his point was that in general, most book to film adaptations suck. I corrected that. On the contrary sir, your point collapses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
The gaping holes in your logic were a little hard to look passed to decipher what you claim you meant to say. Besides, there are plenty of examples where there are successful movies based upon video games and video games based upon movies, which basically means even your alleged intended point is moot. Resident Evil and Star Wars, respectively, are two prime examples. Of course there will be fans of one medium that do not like the other, but if it makes enough money to push out sequel after sequel then I would call that successful.
Name some (other than the ones you just did), I've gone snooping around online to see if there were any I had seen/played, there were none that were better than the original work (other than the book to film adaptations, which was just a stupid comment by him)

The reason neither of the ones you just named are applicable is because, as said above, any half-wit can CLEARLY see that Resident Evil may not be a horrible film, BUT NO movie has EVER equaled the accolades that RE4 got.

I thought long and hard about the Star Wars adaptation, but because the only really great games that have ever come out based on Star Wars were both KOTORS (therefore entirely NOT based on the film they were accompanying, totally seperete characters, it just happens to take place in the same universe) I decided against it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruei View Post
Being unclear in an argument doesn't mean the other person is stupid. Adaptations between different kinds of media can go very well so long as careful attention is paid. You're making a sweeping generalization and haven't even taken into account the markets included in the statement as you're clearly trying to force it towards the tv --> game argument. Just because some adaptations are poor doesn't mean all are; simple logic. If you need an example, manga to anime is a huge industry built on the idea of adaptation and if it didn't work at least most of the time, it wouldn't be nearly as profitable.

Don't confuse personal opinion with fact so much.
Totally forgot that, but the Anime to Manga comparison is brilliant, not so much for the American comic book industry (that might change with Watchmen coming out soon). I don't think it's JUST necessarily careful attention though, I think it's just a mixture of that along with natural talent, which many directors that put out games are clearly lacking... Seriously, if you were Martin Scorsese would you really even think about doing a movie based on a game? HELL NO, and hence that's where the line is drawn.
Edited by JCJP - 12/25/08 at 2:39am
Sager NP8150
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-2630QM (@ 2.0 ghz) ATI 6990m 2 Gigs Mem 8 Gigs DDR3 @ 1333 750GB (7200RPM) 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Blu-ray reader/DVD burner Ubuntu 11.04; Win 7 15.6” (1920x1080) a really big brick 
  hide details  
Reply
Sager NP8150
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-2630QM (@ 2.0 ghz) ATI 6990m 2 Gigs Mem 8 Gigs DDR3 @ 1333 750GB (7200RPM) 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Blu-ray reader/DVD burner Ubuntu 11.04; Win 7 15.6” (1920x1080) a really big brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
The gaping holes in your logic were a little hard to look passed to decipher what you claim you meant to say. Besides, there are plenty of examples where there are successful movies based upon video games and video games based upon movies, which basically means even your alleged intended point is moot. Resident Evil and Star Wars, respectively, are two prime examples. Of course there will be fans of one medium that do not like the other, but if it makes enough money to push out sequel after sequel then I would call that successful.

Stargate Universe starts in the second half of 2009, I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJP View Post
Name some (other than the ones you just did), I've gone snooping around online to see if there were any I had seen/played, there were none that were better than the original work (other than the book to film adaptations, which was just a stupid comment by him)
I thought I'd point out that Stargate125645 said "successful," not "better than."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJP View Post
I thought long and hard about the Star Wars adaptation, but because the only really great games that have ever come out based on Star Wars were both KOTORS (therefore entirely NOT based on the film they were accompanying, totally seperete characters, it just happens to take place in the same universe) I decided against it....
First off, "great" (and "better," for that matter) are highly subjective terms, as they rely on opinion and preference.

But Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (and possibly even Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast) could easily fall into the category of "great" Star Wars games (IMO, of course). They were certainly successful (at least in sales) and received high aggregate scores on Metacritic and Gamerankings.com

Just to note, Stargate Worlds is an MMORPG, and therefore not entirely story based (with the television show) . . . as in, it's basically just taking place in the same universe.
Edited by Choggs396 - 12/25/08 at 3:25am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [fud]40 days and still no pay