Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [infoworld]OS shoot-out: Windows vs. Mac OS X vs. Linux
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[infoworld]OS shoot-out: Windows vs. Mac OS X vs. Linux - Page 5

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJX View Post
A normal person, even a person with decent computer skills can easily use linux if everything is already set up in place by a nerd. But if left alone, that person would not even be able to install flash and get on youtube, or some other simple task.
The problem is, "normal people" would rather pay extra money when they buy their computers, and get windows which "just works" (people say that, but it should be "just works until you get tons of spyware and adware...) than to use a free OS such a Linux and have to read through a few forums and type a few commands to get it the way they want it. I'm sure every "normal person" can take a fresh Fedora 10 install and use the guide I put together in my sig to get flash and such installed, if they sat down for an hour or two and concentrated.

The beauty of Linux is that it is free, but with that, you also get the fact that there is no customer support. Though with Windows, most people pay Circuit City or Best Buy a $100 fee + the price of the software they need and get it installed for them. Or pay them $200 to run a simple spyware scan.

Trust me, I worked at Circuit City for about a few months. It is ridiculous what people paid to have done.
Edited by Redmist - 12/25/08 at 8:37pm
For Sale: MSI Z97 SLI Plus, Corsair DDR3 2000, Noctua NH-U12P
$0.00 (USD) or best offer
SG13B
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Window 10 Monoprice 144hz ??? 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone SG13B-Q Zowie FK1 http://www.slothesports.com/ Beyerdynamic DT990 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Numark NPM5 Sennheiser PC 31-II CH Products Combatstick 568 Joystick Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 
  hide details  
Reply
For Sale: MSI Z97 SLI Plus, Corsair DDR3 2000, Noctua NH-U12P
$0.00 (USD) or best offer
SG13B
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Window 10 Monoprice 144hz ??? 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone SG13B-Q Zowie FK1 http://www.slothesports.com/ Beyerdynamic DT990 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Numark NPM5 Sennheiser PC 31-II CH Products Combatstick 568 Joystick Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
The problem is, "normal people" would rather pay extra money when they buy their computers, and get windows which "just works" (people say that, but it should be "just works until you get tons of spyware and adware...) than to use a free OS such a Linux and have to read through a few forums and type a few commands to get it the way they want it. I'm sure every "normal person" can take a fresh Fedora 10 install and use the guide I put together in my sig to get flash and such installed, if they sat down for an hour or two and concentrated.

The beauty of Linux is that it is free, but with that, you also get the fact that there is no customer support. Though with Windows, most people pay Circuit City or Best Buy a $100 fee + the price of the software they need and get it installed for them. Or pay them $200 to run a simple spyware scan.

Trust me, I worked at Circuit City for about a few months. It is ridiculous what people paid to have done.

Yeah I know what you mean
Memory upgrade? Sure, that will be $100
System tuneup (defrag harddrive), more $$$ please.

And yeah many people don't even know how to google for things, not to mention tech related things.
post #43 of 56


That's how I see it (thus how I didn't put development under OS X, because C++ is my language of choice, not Objective-C). Not considering hardware and cost.

The mere fact that there are areas where they don't overlap in functionality pretty much justifies all of their existences for me.
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkheii View Post
The mere fact that there are areas where they don't overlap in functionality pretty much justifies all of their existences for me.
Agreed, though I don't really see what MS Office has over Open Office other than MS Office is basically the standard, and most people know how to use it.

Personally I had no problem with MS Office (other than price), up until 2007 that is. I hate MS Office 2007. They tried to dumb it down, and imho they made it much more complicated. At my high school they teach office 2007, which is a shame because I don't think most businesses have adopted it, or will ever adopt it (though I could be wrong).
For Sale: MSI Z97 SLI Plus, Corsair DDR3 2000, Noctua NH-U12P
$0.00 (USD) or best offer
SG13B
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Window 10 Monoprice 144hz ??? 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone SG13B-Q Zowie FK1 http://www.slothesports.com/ Beyerdynamic DT990 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Numark NPM5 Sennheiser PC 31-II CH Products Combatstick 568 Joystick Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 
  hide details  
Reply
For Sale: MSI Z97 SLI Plus, Corsair DDR3 2000, Noctua NH-U12P
$0.00 (USD) or best offer
SG13B
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Window 10 Monoprice 144hz ??? 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone SG13B-Q Zowie FK1 http://www.slothesports.com/ Beyerdynamic DT990 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Numark NPM5 Sennheiser PC 31-II CH Products Combatstick 568 Joystick Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Agreed, though I don't really see what MS Office has over Open Office other than MS Office is basically the standard, and most people know how to use it.

Personally I had no problem with MS Office (other than price), up until 2007 that is. I hate MS Office 2007. They tried to dumb it down, and imho they made it much more complicated. At my high school they teach office 2007, which is a shame because I don't think most businesses have adopted it, or will ever adopt it (though I could be wrong).
MSOffice is an exception, simply because most people I know (as well as myself) would rather use that and its formats than Open Office. Some of my friends use Wine especially for MSOffice.

I found Office 2008 on the OS X very messy for me though.
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
Melysa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.6GHz DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Sapphire 7850 2GB w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
many hard drives Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 Dell S2340L 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 Seasonic S12 II 620W HAF 932 Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
Out of curiosity, what might that be? I haven't found an OSX application that did not have a rival in the Windows world.
I haven't found a windows application that has an OSX "version" or counterpart that was better than the OSX version/counterpart. There just aren't simple programs like MPEG Streamclip or iSquint for windows... All opinion, I suppose.

BTW, why would you, yourself, be looking for OSX apps? So how would you know if there are or are not OSX apps w/ or w/o windows counterparts?
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Agreed, though I don't really see what MS Office has over Open Office other than MS Office is basically the standard, and most people know how to use it.

Personally I had no problem with MS Office (other than price), up until 2007 that is. I hate MS Office 2007. They tried to dumb it down, and imho they made it much more complicated. At my high school they teach office 2007, which is a shame because I don't think most businesses have adopted it, or will ever adopt it (though I could be wrong).
Where I work we went from Office 2000 to 2007 and everyone figured it out pretty quickly on their own. We flirted with going to Open Office but we found it necessary to still use Microsoft Access for our many Access databases.
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJX View Post
I've tried out every version of windows from 95 to Win 7. I tried OSX from 10.4 - 10.5. I've tried xandros and ubuntu builds of linux.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
BTW, why would you, yourself, be looking for OSX apps? So how would you know if there are or are not OSX apps w/ or w/o windows counterparts?
On the previous page he did mention he tried OSX 10.4 - 10.5.
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubeman View Post
All OS's do different things. All sites do is take what windows can do and what mac can't do then say windows wins. Same thing the other way around and if you throw X or Y OS's into it as well.
People rate what's important to them. So if Macs have some feature, and no one cares, why would you give them points? Same goes for all three OS's, but ratings are inherently biased. Get over it.
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipperLord View Post
Spot on, satcom.

"Pfft as if, games can play on a Mac. Just gonna get me a copy of Windows..."

Funny when they say that you CAN play games on a Mac. What OPENGL's and ports? When you require to bootcamp, YOU ARE USING WINDOWS! The machine is just a machine with an Apple logo, you don't call it a Mac. Macintosh is the OS.
once your done loling i hope you realize that they are called macs as an abbreviation of their names. mac pro, mac book, mac book pro. So i hope you had a good laff, i did as well. Macs can run Xfires top 4 games on their native OS, so i guess this deserves one of these smileys
Mission Control
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Kentsfield Q6600 2.67GHz ASUS P5N-E SLI XFX 8800 GTX OCZ Platinum 4 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB Western Digital Caviar Black 2 DVD-RW w/ Lightscribe Windoze Vista Ultimate 64-Bit 27" HDTV , 19" Dell Ultra Flat 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 XION SuperNova AeroCool ExtremEngine 3T Saitek GM-3200 
Mouse Pad
Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
Mission Control
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Kentsfield Q6600 2.67GHz ASUS P5N-E SLI XFX 8800 GTX OCZ Platinum 4 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB Western Digital Caviar Black 2 DVD-RW w/ Lightscribe Windoze Vista Ultimate 64-Bit 27" HDTV , 19" Dell Ultra Flat 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 XION SuperNova AeroCool ExtremEngine 3T Saitek GM-3200 
Mouse Pad
Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [infoworld]OS shoot-out: Windows vs. Mac OS X vs. Linux