Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Bought a New Laptop
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bought a New Laptop - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asus Mobile View Post
Paul merry Xmass and all. Just to talk not argue. Mostly because I have started wondering in the last week.

I took a look at your NBR link. What caught my eye other than does look like I was correct that your card is the 3650. Is this card has GDDR3 so is 600/700. One reason I care is I have the DDR2 version and wonder how crippled it is? Well the link has the GDDR3 3DMark at about 3900 and I get 3800 at 600/400?

This is not to extend the DDR2 vs DDR3 from before but I can only assume the reason why my 400Mhz DDR2 hangs so close to the GDDR3 is CL? If you see my sig I boost my core and memory and get 4800. I can test but I know if I leave core alone and boost memory to 500Mhz it will beat the GDDR3 700Mhz.

This is just the musings of someone who got stuck with the DDR2 version. Yes the GDDR3 is better but you can't compare as apples to apples? DDR2 500Mhz seems to beat GDDR3 700Mhz? My point of mentioning is it suprises me. I got stuck w/DDR2.

I got mine for $1199 so you got the lower TDP CPU and DDR3 for the same with better GPU. And the more solid build.
My card (V5700 = 3650) has 512MB and GDDR3 memory. However, GDDR is very different than DDR, so you cannot compare the relationship between GDDR2 and GDDR3 to the relationship between DDR2 and DDR3.

The V5700 firmware and drivers are designed to increase rendering accuracy, meaning that the gaming card will have better relative gaming performance.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 19
Congratulation's PaulDovi.

I was actually curious what you would go with, I remember a few months ago it was a toss up between I think the T500, Dell E6400, and Precision 4400 I think.

Will this one work with the large monitor/ TV you have?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 19
Asking Paul

I am interested in your thoughts so let me clarify in case I misstated. My card has DDR2, not GDDR2 I know that.

I know what GDDR3 is also. It is DDR2 with a lower voltage some optimizations for graphics performance one of which is the ability to flush data.

I recognize your card has 512MB mine has 1024MB? I recognize your card is optimized for OpenGL mine is DX. I know at least with Nvidia gaming cards are physically crippled w/ATI at least w/2600 may or may not be the case.

All that said and adjusted for, do you have any thoughts on the DDR2 vs GDDR3? To me clearly a CL issue. I could be wrong that is why I ask you.

Pro cards can game better than game cards can render CAD. At least with Nvidia you can install a DX driver and it is a gamer you cannot install CAD drivers on the gamer and do CAD well.

3Dmark at default settings will not push a 512MB vs 1024MB so that is not the explanation? I ask you because I am curious. If you are not, cool. If you are throw back some things I should consider please. I do want to know what I do not. As I said GDDR3 is better but looks like needs more clocks if it runs faster. And to draw a comparative to something you said in another thread, something like if you say 0C saves a batt then 30C is better than 60C. Same thing I am doing here. Trying to understand and interpret. Please input as I agree with your logic.

I am not above you or anyone else. I fall to the same thoughts also. I was not going to buy a Montevina unless it had DDR3. Why? Well it is faster 1066Mhz, right? Well I settled for DDR2. I get 5500MB/s actual bandwidth. DDR3 does not get higher at this time on a mobile platform. I should also mention I can buy RAM with tighter timings to get more. You can't w/DDR3.

Anyway just want your thoughts I am not trying to argue just discuss.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T9400 2.53Ghz OC 2.85Ghz Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 OC 780/500 4GB PC2-6400 OC 900Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD 320GB @5400 Vista 32bit Home Premium 14" WXGA+ 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T9400 2.53Ghz OC 2.85Ghz Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 OC 780/500 4GB PC2-6400 OC 900Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD 320GB @5400 Vista 32bit Home Premium 14" WXGA+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Well the system came today. I got the 4GB of memory installed but I haven't gotten the Intel X25-M in yet so I am running on the SLOW 5400RPM drive.

Windows Experience Index:

CPU: 5.4
Memory: 5.9
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming Graphics: 5.3
HDD: 5.3

I really like it so far and the switchable graphics is simply amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
Congratulation's PaulDovi.

I was actually curious what you would go with, I remember a few months ago it was a toss up between I think the T500, Dell E6400, and Precision 4400 I think.

Will this one work with the large monitor/ TV you have?
I was very close to getting a M4400, I was actually ordering it over the phone with a rep. The call was dropped and I emailed the rep and asked her to call me back. She agreed that she would call within 5 minutes and she never did. That gave me some more time to think and I went with the W500.

This laptop has a display port out and a VGA out so it will work with almost any monitor / tv on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asus Mobile View Post
Asking Paul

I am interested in your thoughts so let me clarify in case I misstated. My card has DDR2, not GDDR2 I know that.

I know what GDDR3 is also. It is DDR2 with a lower voltage some optimizations for graphics performance one of which is the ability to flush data.

I recognize your card has 512MB mine has 1024MB? I recognize your card is optimized for OpenGL mine is DX. I know at least with Nvidia gaming cards are physically crippled w/ATI at least w/2600 may or may not be the case.

All that said and adjusted for, do you have any thoughts on the DDR2 vs GDDR3? To me clearly a CL issue. I could be wrong that is why I ask you.

Pro cards can game better than game cards can render CAD. At least with Nvidia you can install a DX driver and it is a gamer you cannot install CAD drivers on the gamer and do CAD well.

3Dmark at default settings will not push a 512MB vs 1024MB so that is not the explanation? I ask you because I am curious. If you are not, cool. If you are throw back some things I should consider please. I do want to know what I do not. As I said GDDR3 is better but looks like needs more clocks if it runs faster. And to draw a comparative to something you said in another thread, something like if you say 0C saves a batt then 30C is better than 60C. Same thing I am doing here. Trying to understand and interpret. Please input as I agree with your logic.

I am not above you or anyone else. I fall to the same thoughts also. I was not going to buy a Montevina unless it had DDR3. Why? Well it is faster 1066Mhz, right? Well I settled for DDR2. I get 5500MB/s actual bandwidth. DDR3 does not get higher at this time on a mobile platform. I should also mention I can buy RAM with tighter timings to get more. You can't w/DDR3.

Anyway just want your thoughts I am not trying to argue just discuss.
I understand.

I found it interesting in some reviews of the ATI 4850 versus the 4870, that when you have the core clocks the same, the 4850 would sometimes come out ahead. It turns out when there is not a lot of memory bandwidth required the much lower latency GDDR3 in the 4850 would outperform the GDDR5 in the 4870. It seems like, unless you have an environment with a high amount of textures, you won't see a benifit from the GDDR3.

I am a little confused if you are trying to compare the DDR2 versus the DDR3 of the main system or the graphics card DDR2 versus the GDDR3 (or both)??

I think that the actual system memory DDR3 will be benificial to me because of the FEA analysis that I perform that uses a lot of memory and requires a lot of bandwidth.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Well the system came today. I got the 4GB of memory installed but I haven't gotten the Intel X25-M in yet so I am running on the SLOW 5400RPM drive.

Windows Experience Index:

CPU: 5.4
Memory: 5.9
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming Graphics: 5.3
HDD: 5.3

I really like it so far and the switchable graphics is simply amazing.



I was very close to getting a M4400, I was actually ordering it over the phone with a rep. The call was dropped and I emailed the rep and asked her to call me back. She agreed that she would call within 5 minutes and she never did. That gave me some more time to think and I went with the W500.

This laptop has a display port out and a VGA out so it will work with almost any monitor / tv on the market.



I understand.

I found it interesting in some reviews of the ATI 4850 versus the 4870, that when you have the core clocks the same, the 4850 would sometimes come out ahead. It turns out when there is not a lot of memory bandwidth required the much lower latency GDDR3 in the 4850 would outperform the GDDR5 in the 4870. It seems like, unless you have an environment with a high amount of textures, you won't see a benifit from the GDDR3.

I am a little confused if you are trying to compare the DDR2 versus the DDR3 of the main system or the graphics card DDR2 versus the GDDR3 (or both)??

I think that the actual system memory DDR3 will be benificial to me because of the FEA analysis that I perform that uses a lot of memory and requires a lot of bandwidth.
It might?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T9400 2.53Ghz OC 2.85Ghz Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 OC 780/500 4GB PC2-6400 OC 900Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD 320GB @5400 Vista 32bit Home Premium 14" WXGA+ 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T9400 2.53Ghz OC 2.85Ghz Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 OC 780/500 4GB PC2-6400 OC 900Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD 320GB @5400 Vista 32bit Home Premium 14" WXGA+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asus Mobile View Post
It might?
I'm not going to lie, I am a little confused.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
I am trying to run SPEC benchmark but the results never show up.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong!

Here is a photo of my Thinkpad family:

On the left is the T23 running XP Pro with 1GB ram, a 1.2Ghz Pentium III M, and a 32MB S3 Savage card. In the middle is the T60p running Vista Ultimate 32 bit with 2GB of ram, a FireGL V5200 256MB, Core Duo T2500, and the wonderful FlexView IPS screen (15"). On the right is the new W500.

Edited by pauldovi - 12/27/08 at 11:18am
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 19
Sweet system!

I am interested in your SPECviewperf results for Pro/E once you get everything working. Would you mind posting it here?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 Quadro FX570 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2X WD6400AAKS XP Pro 64 2X Samsung 2343BWX Antec Earthwatts 430 
Case
Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 Quadro FX570 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2X WD6400AAKS XP Pro 64 2X Samsung 2343BWX Antec Earthwatts 430 
Case
Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc12 View Post
Sweet system!

I am interested in your SPECviewperf results for Pro/E once you get everything working. Would you mind posting it here?
I was not able to get SPECViewPerf to run successfully when I ran it on the factory OEM installation of Vista. Since I got my Intel X25-M SSD I installed Vista Ultimate and I still cannot get SPECViewPerf to run successfully. However, I cannot get it to run on my desktop either so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the laptop. There seems to be an issue with SpecViewPerf writing to the temporary file (it says access is denied).

I am really interested in seeing SPECViewPerf performance. I my CATIA license should be in with 2 days, so I will have direct performance information on that.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Bought a New Laptop