Originally Posted by wetfit9
I was looking at getting the Gigabyte X58A-UD5 board for a second build, let me know how you like it.
I liked it so far. Some minor peeves I have:
1) Doesn't come with SATA 3 cables. So for now I'm running the 2 WD CB SATA 3 hard drives connected to the SATA 3 ports using SATA 2 cables
2) Some of the ports could have been better laid out (location wise). Especially the front audio header. It is located right behind the back ports panel. I had to make the front audio cables stretch a lil bit. still not looking very pretty. I'll deal with it later.
3) Easy Tune 6 is a piece of crap
4) Once you mount push-pull fans on the venomous-x, there is not enough clearing to mount a memory cooler. I don't have one right now so no big deal.
5) The 12V power input to the mother board is way towards a corner and a lil hard to reach.
6) Did not like the AWARD bios very much.
7) GIGABYTE website is very slow and their documentation and help files on their website sucks (not to mention tons of typos). However, I felt that their motherboard manual is very elaborate and comprehensive than the manual that came with the ASUS P6X58D.
Everything else rocks. The board itself has some self-cooling features which seem to be working great. I'm currently running stock but still
My CPU is currently hovering between 30-32c. MB temp between 29-32 and case temp at 34. I haven't seen any of these temps go above 35 so far but that isn't anything to go by until I start cranking up this puppy.
This is a good board. I'd definitely recommend.
NOTE: But please do not get the WD caviar black 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3 drives. I found them to be very slow. The rated seek time on them is 11.2 and I'm getting 11.6 from HDTune. I've heard the 1TB SATA 3 drives are performing better than the 640GB variants.
Hope that helped.