Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › I broke my DVD Player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I broke my DVD Player

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quick question on my way out the door.

Has anyone ever torn apart their DVD player, and successfully put it back together?

I was horsing around with mine and I have caused some sort of mechanical malfunction. When powered up, it insists on opening its tray, and when I press the close button, it closes momentarily, and then opens again immediately. It's as if this is now its preferred default state.

The only thing I did to it other than dismantle and re-assemble it was remove the default activity LED.

Just taking a stab that someone might know something easy that I'm overlooking.

TYIA.
post #2 of 6
Make sure the face plate is on correctly, sounds like the eject button is permanently depressed.
post #3 of 6
sound's like the tray may not be installed quite right (the position of the drive belt in particular).

I took a carousel CD changer apart once (had a jammed CD in it) and when I put the belt on the tray was half way out and it did the same thing when I tried it out; I then opened it up acain and put the belt on with the tray all the way out and it worked perfectly.
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
when in doubt spend $20 for another dvd drive
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolnats View Post
Make sure the face plate is on correctly, sounds like the eject button is permanently depressed.
That's not it, the faceplate is completely off of it right now. Thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radodrill View Post
sound's like the tray may not be installed quite right (the position of the drive belt in particular).

I took a carousel CD changer apart once (had a jammed CD in it) and when I put the belt on the tray was half way out and it did the same thing when I tried it out; I then opened it up acain and put the belt on with the tray all the way out and it worked perfectly.
The belt was an initial source of consternation. The pcb that holds the motor that the belt attaches too is also the pcb that holds the LED I removed. I *think* I got it on correctly, but I should probably revisit that when I get home. Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aawa View Post
when in doubt spend $20 for another dvd drive
That would be plan B.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfarin88 View Post
The belt was an initial source of consternation. The pcb that holds the motor that the belt attaches too is also the pcb that holds the LED I removed. I *think* I got it on correctly, but I should probably revisit that when I get home. Thanks for the response.
in this case also check for undesired solder bridges; I've also taken apart a SATA DVD+-RW drive to wire up a remote eject switch and activity LED, that one worked right off the bat after re-assembling it.
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
RAD GT
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MSI P67A-GD65 eVga GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1066 4x4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500Gb SATA | 750Gb SATA | 1Tb SATA LG SATA DVD-RW DangerDen Water Windows 7 Ultimate X64 
MonitorMonitorPower
AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS AOC 2236VW 1920x1080 22" WS SilverStone Strider ST850 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › I broke my DVD Player