Overclock.net banner

Outlook 2007 Stored email addresses

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  GoneTomorrow 
#1 ·
I am using Outlook 2007, and I have a nagging question:

I need to reinstall my OS but, I have to keep my Outlook email list. However I can't seem to find where it's saving them.

Maybe I should but I don't use contacts. So no, it's not in contacts. When I type an email outlook just prepopulates the "to" field. Then based on the fist letter I've typed it gives me choices of email address that I've mailed to before.

I know from this that outlook has stored the info but I can't find where so as to copy this file. Please help. Thanks.

#3 ·
Go to your C:\\ drive (or whatever disk Outlook is installed on), then follow this path:
C:\\Documents and Settings\\*USERNAME*\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Outlook

And find the file with extension .NK2. This has all your auto-complete information for e-mail addresses.

I would check the add-ins section of Outlook (Tools -> Trusted Center) and install the add-in that automatically adds your sender's e-mail to your Contacts. Using Contacts is MUCH easier than relying on auto-complete, because the Contacts folder is very easily exported in Outlook.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FragaGeddon View Post
Open Outlook.
Then go to Tools/Options/Mail Setup/Data Files.
Click on Open Folder and back up the .PST file.
That file stores folder information (Contacts, Calendar, etc.). I don't believe it has the auto-complete info, which is stored in the .NK2 file. The PST file can also be backed up in Outlook by going to File -> Import and Export ->Export to a file.

• Rep+
Reactions: APOLLOSTEES
#5 ·
The auto complete in the "To" field is created as you enter address to send to. To the best of my knowledge there is not a way yo back that up. The .pst file does not store that data. You are going to have to retype all the addresses manually to re-populate that auto-complete feature in the fresh install of office.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
Go to your C: drive (or whatever disk Outlook is installed on), then follow this path:
C
ocuments and Settings*USERNAME*Application DataMicrosoftOutlook

And find the file with extension .NK2. This has all your auto-complete information for e-mail addresses.

I would check the add-ins section of Outlook (Tools -> Trusted Center) and install the add-in that automatically adds your sender's e-mail to your Contacts. Using Contacts is MUCH easier than relying on auto-complete, because the Contacts folder is very easily exported in Outlook.
Where can I get this add-in? I checked and do not have it.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
Go to your C: drive (or whatever disk Outlook is installed on), then follow this path:
C
ocuments and Settings*USERNAME*Application DataMicrosoftOutlook

All I do is copy the entire Outlook folder listed above. Then after I reinstall, and before ever opening outlook, I just recopy the Outlook folder back. Then the first time I run Outlook, it restores all my settings, emails and contacts.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by APOLLOSTEES View Post
Ok I just found the outlook .nk2 file and backed it up.

So all I have to do is import this once I reinstall right?
Just manually copy it back into the same folder from the path I gave above and yes, it will restore the auto-complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.