Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club - Page 468

post #4671 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
So its ok to pass one test and not the other(not including IBT)? On many fourms i searched i always read "if u cant pass blend your system is not stable," then i have read "Occt is more stress than prime 95".

my memory is fine,i used memtest and ran it for 4 hrs no errors
Man!!!!!!
its all good!
its whatever works for you, I like to pass blend too you know, but none of that stuff matters in the end, You can think you are stable from running numerous amounts stress test then play a game and crash. Just read through this thread, you see it over and over.......

"i dont understand...bla, bla, bla...it passes such and such and this in that, but i ran _____ game and it crashed on me"

You can stress test all day and night long, but when OCing your hardware there is no test that can prove 100% stability. There is no way around it. You can say its stable enough for your needs or not. You can say its stable enough to run prime for 12 hrs, or OCCT for 3hrs, but thats it. If you play lots of games, you got to be real stable, more stable then your stress test can prove, while some games make work fine others are gonna be more sensitive and you might even have to drop your OC, when it worked perfect with everything else you checked it with.

To further show you, find a system that you OC as high as you can and get it to passed all the required stress test for you to deem it stable. Then fold with it! if it folds without a hitch its pretty stable, but you still could find a random game crash you for no reason.

Get your computer where it works perfect for your needs. Also 100mhz isnt gonna do much at all in the end for you, so dont worry about it....
its all good
Toy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII X4 20@3710mhz 1.3875v Asrock AM3 M3A790GHX/128M EVGA GTX 260 superclocked 4g OCZ Reaper1220mhz 5-5-5 
Hard DriveOSPower
seagate7200.11 320g Vista/XP 750w Pro Power 
  hide details  
Reply
Toy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII X4 20@3710mhz 1.3875v Asrock AM3 M3A790GHX/128M EVGA GTX 260 superclocked 4g OCZ Reaper1220mhz 5-5-5 
Hard DriveOSPower
seagate7200.11 320g Vista/XP 750w Pro Power 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4672 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
are u referring to the NB v.,CPU/NB v. or CPU/NB frequency? What do u man by memory multipliers? dont see anything like that im my bios unless its the dram frequency or timings
How do you OC your CPU? By multiplier or by HTT? If you use multiplier, then its okay, you dont have to worry about memory and NB. But if you happen to use HTT then your memory and NB are OCd too. And in that case you should lower their multipliers or as you see them in BIOS, frequencies. And I wasnt talking about voltages. Maybe you should post a pic from CPU-Z or from BIOS. And I agree with ocre. It COULD be okay. But I had my 3,5ghz running few days ago and it passed Prime95 small fft and it passed memtest for 10h but whoopsie, it didnt pass Prime95 blend. I thought what the heck, it doesnt matter. And when I left my CPU to run Boinc at night, boom, 15min and it crashed...
post #4673 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocre View Post
Man!!!!!!
its all good!
its whatever works for you, I like to pass blend too you know, but none of that stuff matters in the end, You can think you are stable from running numerous amounts stress test then play a game and crash. Just read through this thread, you see it over and over.......

"i dont understand...bla, bla, bla...it passes such and such and this in that, but i ran _____ game and it crashed on me"

You can stress test all day and night long, but when OCing your hardware there is no test that can prove 100% stability. There is no way around it. You can say its stable enough for your needs or not. You can say its stable enough to run prime for 12 hrs, or OCCT for 3hrs, but thats it. If you play lots of games, you got to be real stable, more stable then your stress test can prove, while some games make work fine others are gonna be more sensitive and you might even have to drop your OC, when it worked perfect with everything else you checked it with.

To further show you, find a system that you OC as high as you can and get it to passed all the required stress test for you to deem it stable. Then fold with it! if it folds without a hitch its pretty stable, but you still could find a random game crash you for no reason.

Get your computer where it works perfect for your needs. Also 100mhz isnt gonna do much at all in the end for you, so dont worry about it....
its all good
I understand what u r saying,if i cant past blend its ok. I dont know much about overclocking but im to the point where just increasing the Vcore is not keeping it stable (im using the multiplier), might try n hit 3.6mhz so im messing with the CPU/NB voltage and the NB voltage. Right now im testing on fft(3.5ghz),i upped my cpu/nb again and its holding longer than any other time i tried. Not even gonna try blend.What is safe voltage for cpu/nb without having to mount a fan? I also notice i get BSOD right away in windows when i set my vcore to 1.52v or higher.
Edited by LBear - 10/10/09 at 7:42am
Starr Status
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte Aorus X370 K7 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G G.Skill TridentZ RBG 3200 14-14 -14 -32 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) /Seagate 600 SSD 240GB ... CoolerMaster 240 AIO Windows 10 Pro LG 31MU97-B 4096x2160 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine - Blue LED - MX Cherry Red EVGA G3 850w Haf 932(Blue LED) Monix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Asus Xonar Xense Sony DH 770 + Polk 5.1 speakers & Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Starr Status
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte Aorus X370 K7 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G G.Skill TridentZ RBG 3200 14-14 -14 -32 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) /Seagate 600 SSD 240GB ... CoolerMaster 240 AIO Windows 10 Pro LG 31MU97-B 4096x2160 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine - Blue LED - MX Cherry Red EVGA G3 850w Haf 932(Blue LED) Monix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Asus Xonar Xense Sony DH 770 + Polk 5.1 speakers & Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4674 of 6432
a friend of mine just got a 720BE and a Biostar AM2+ 790GX 4gb ram 1066MHz

hes been having issues with it not booting, any ideas?

it is on the desk so i isnt a short, we have ran memtest and it passed.
Midgard
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B50 X4 (3.7Ghz) Biostar TA790GX 128M Gainward GTX 260 GS 2X2GB OCZ Gold DDR2 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB SpinPoint SATAII Black OEM DVD Burner Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit Samsung P2370 23" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750Watt Modular Xigmatek Midgard SteelSeries Kinzu SteelSeries OcK 
  hide details  
Reply
Midgard
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B50 X4 (3.7Ghz) Biostar TA790GX 128M Gainward GTX 260 GS 2X2GB OCZ Gold DDR2 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB SpinPoint SATAII Black OEM DVD Burner Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit Samsung P2370 23" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750Watt Modular Xigmatek Midgard SteelSeries Kinzu SteelSeries OcK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4675 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT668 View Post
a friend of mine just got a 720BE and a Biostar AM2+ 790GX 4gb ram 1066MHz

hes been having issues with it not booting, any ideas?

it is on the desk so i isnt a short, we have ran memtest and it passed.
cant boot at stock settings or OC?
Starr Status
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte Aorus X370 K7 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G G.Skill TridentZ RBG 3200 14-14 -14 -32 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) /Seagate 600 SSD 240GB ... CoolerMaster 240 AIO Windows 10 Pro LG 31MU97-B 4096x2160 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine - Blue LED - MX Cherry Red EVGA G3 850w Haf 932(Blue LED) Monix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Asus Xonar Xense Sony DH 770 + Polk 5.1 speakers & Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Starr Status
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte Aorus X370 K7 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G G.Skill TridentZ RBG 3200 14-14 -14 -32 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) /Seagate 600 SSD 240GB ... CoolerMaster 240 AIO Windows 10 Pro LG 31MU97-B 4096x2160 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine - Blue LED - MX Cherry Red EVGA G3 850w Haf 932(Blue LED) Monix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Asus Xonar Xense Sony DH 770 + Polk 5.1 speakers & Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4676 of 6432
the only thing i have changed in the bios is the ram timing and speed but there not OC'ed. it will boot the first few times but them it wont and you have to reset the cmos and reconfigure the ram timings.
Midgard
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B50 X4 (3.7Ghz) Biostar TA790GX 128M Gainward GTX 260 GS 2X2GB OCZ Gold DDR2 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB SpinPoint SATAII Black OEM DVD Burner Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit Samsung P2370 23" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750Watt Modular Xigmatek Midgard SteelSeries Kinzu SteelSeries OcK 
  hide details  
Reply
Midgard
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B50 X4 (3.7Ghz) Biostar TA790GX 128M Gainward GTX 260 GS 2X2GB OCZ Gold DDR2 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB SpinPoint SATAII Black OEM DVD Burner Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit Samsung P2370 23" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750Watt Modular Xigmatek Midgard SteelSeries Kinzu SteelSeries OcK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4677 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT668 View Post
the only thing i have changed in the bios is the ram timing and speed but there not OC'ed. it will boot the first few times but them it wont and you have to reset the cmos and reconfigure the ram timings.
could be the timings... my ram should do 1333 cl 6-6-6-18, but it doesnt boot with that on the recommended voltage. try loosen the timings or adjust the voltage.
Phenom II X3 720
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 20 ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic PLatinum OCZ Reaper 1333 4GB 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
2x Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB Windows 7 x64 Cougar S550 Xigmatek Midgard 
Mouse
Steel Series Xai 
  hide details  
Reply
Phenom II X3 720
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 20 ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic PLatinum OCZ Reaper 1333 4GB 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
2x Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB Windows 7 x64 Cougar S550 Xigmatek Midgard 
Mouse
Steel Series Xai 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4678 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocre View Post
I like a lot of data, really i do but.....

Are the steppings cross relevant from say a 705, 710, 720?
I wonder if they will go together like that or not.

i figure the 720 will be replaced by the 740, or maybe the 710 will be dropped and the 720 wont be a BE. CPUs models are changing so much faster then they used to, kinda getting to be like the GPU race, hehe.

who knows, there is some good data collected. but this is just a club list for all 700 series, really. But it is getting to be more and more steppings, And with each change, something has changed in the chip design, no matter how small. Just wonder whats gonna happen after the 740 hits, i am sure things will change a bit. Gonna be a lot of different chips plus steppings. its not just a single cpu chart, so the data is gonna be all over the place
I understand where you're coming from.
The list I was referring to was an example of how helpful such a list could be but it also takes time for it to show a clear trend and definitely needs contributions from forum members.

There is also a list for the T-Bred chips there too that does the same thing but it's not as extensive as the Barton listings.
Note that these lists go by core name to seperate each CPU type. With the questions being asked, if someone were to indeed start one, we'd need contributions from members to build it. You also make a good point about the newer vs older chips and it could be based on core name/type like the Barton and T-Bred lists are since the T-Breds are the older of the two and the Barton core was the newest.

As for steppings being relevant related to model such as the 705 vs the 720, again it going to take contributions to show whether it matters or not but in the case of the T-Bred and Barton core chips, these are expressed this way by model such as the JIUHB XP-1700 and JIUHB XP-1800 T-Bred cores and the AQYHA XP-2500 and the AQYHA XP-2800 as two Barton core examples. With the historical trend AMD has for carrying steppings across models, I think this will also be the case here. I don't think the number itself will make a huge difference as long as it has the same core as other models and again, I believe steppings would cross over like they also did with the 754's and 939's.
As an example on this trend, they did make 939 LCB9E Opterons, X2's and even San Diego cores, all based on the same basic core though they had different names for these. BTW, I'm not aware of any San Diego's with the LCBQE stepping due to them shutting down making these early but the newest X2's and Opty's definitely had it.

I would be more than happy to throw my chip's info in the list to help out. As to info on whether it unlocks or not, that's up to whoever makes the list but we already have one of these going in another thread.
Edited by Kryton - 10/10/09 at 5:57pm
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4679 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
I understand what u r saying,if i cant past blend its ok. I dont know much about overclocking but im to the point where just increasing the Vcore is not keeping it stable (im using the multiplier), might try n hit 3.6mhz so im messing with the CPU/NB voltage and the NB voltage. Right now im testing on fft(3.5ghz),i upped my cpu/nb again and its holding longer than any other time i tried. Not even gonna try blend.What is safe voltage for cpu/nb without having to mount a fan? I also notice i get BSOD right away in windows when i set my vcore to 1.52v or higher.
Well????
thats not exactly what i was saying. I am saying that as long as its stable for your needs then go with it.
I am also saying 100mhz isnt a big deal so you can drop it down, dont feel bad if you have to, you know?
See its kinda the opposite of what your gathering, usually the more the stability test you pass the better, but those programs dont mean anything except for a general guideline, and possibly to prove something to someone.

Your OC should suit your needs, if you cant pass blend for X hours and you are getting to run everything you want without a hitch, why does it matter. If all you want to use your computer for is stability test then i guess it would be of utmost importance other then that it does little. We use stability test to be sure in a shorter time. its not an end all says all verdict. Many times ppl will adjust their OC after they get to a point they thought was solid. They adjust it after they have ran their computer awhile on the programs they use most. Its your everyday programs that ultimately should be fine with the OC, they are what you dont want crashing on you.

Also if you arent benefiting from a higher OC, like not running any programs that OCing improves performance on, why push it to the edge of blue screens? Find a good sweet spot, one that gives you max benefits with little draw back. You can always crank up the volts on special occasions, when you really need the power. But i dont know your computer usage and you may always need her running full blast.

OCing is a fun hobby, but if you really get into it, one CPU just isnt too much fun. You will find its limits and be done. This is your home rig, and its good to know what it is capable of, know where it can run and know its max limits, but at the same time its got more of a purpose then just OCing. Find what works best for your PC and your special circumstance. With what you run and do with it, get the most of of your purchase, and dont burn it up, lol. Just remember, its okay to back it down. if you arent even running a thing that benefits from it. Some ppl struggle so hard over 100mhz, but you will see a lot of ppl who get high OCs always drop it down for most of their pc usage. Thats if its their personal pc they are OCing. They get their bragging rights and back off of it, but they might not tell you that!!!
Toy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII X4 20@3710mhz 1.3875v Asrock AM3 M3A790GHX/128M EVGA GTX 260 superclocked 4g OCZ Reaper1220mhz 5-5-5 
Hard DriveOSPower
seagate7200.11 320g Vista/XP 750w Pro Power 
  hide details  
Reply
Toy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII X4 20@3710mhz 1.3875v Asrock AM3 M3A790GHX/128M EVGA GTX 260 superclocked 4g OCZ Reaper1220mhz 5-5-5 
Hard DriveOSPower
seagate7200.11 320g Vista/XP 750w Pro Power 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4680 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
I understand where you're coming from.
The list I was referring to was an example of how helpful such a list could be but it also takes time for it to show a clear trend and definitely needs contributions from forum members.

There is also a list for the T-Bred chips there too that does the same thing but it's not as extensive as the Barton listings.
Note that these lists go by core name to seperate each CPU type. With the questions being asked, if someone were to indeed start one, we'd need contributions from members to build it. You also make a good point about the newer vs older chips and it could be based on core name/type like the Barton and T-Bred lists are since the T-Breds are the older of the two and the Barton core was the newest.

As for steppings being relevant related to model such as the 705 vs the 720, again it going to take contributions to show whether it matters or not but in the case of the T-Bred and Barton core chips, these are expressed this way by model such as the JIUHB XP-1700 and JIUHB XP-1800 T-Bred cores and the AQYHA XP-2500 and the AQYHA XP-2800 as two Barton core examples. With the historical trend AMD has for carrying steppings across models, I think this will also be the case here. I don't think the number itself will make a huge difference as long as it has the same core as other models and again, I believe steppings would cross over like they also did with the 754's and 939's.
As an example on this trend, they did make 939 LCB9E Opterons, X2's and even San Diego cores, all based on the same basic core though they had different names for these. BTW, I'm not aware of any San Diego's with the LCBQE stepping due to them shutting down making these early but the newest X2's and Opty's definitely had it.

I would be more than happy to throw my chip's info in the list to help out. As to info on whether it unlocks or not, that's up to whoever makes the list but we already have one of these going in another thread.
we would probably have to have a whole new tab on the spreadsheet for steppings. It would need different info for each entree. which would make it more useful and organized not scattered info on the front page.

I dont think its a bad idea at all in that way, so the info can be useful and neat, on its own tab.

Wills will have to decide what he thinks on it, if you could come up with a list of info we will need to for its own tab, you know like the horizontal planes, it would make it much easier.

I think you got a good idea of what would be the most useful way to do this, just take a look at our spreadsheet layout and think of what a steppings tab should contain and how it would be best entered. What all do you think should be in it and how should it be lined up, as far as first to last entree?
Toy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII X4 20@3710mhz 1.3875v Asrock AM3 M3A790GHX/128M EVGA GTX 260 superclocked 4g OCZ Reaper1220mhz 5-5-5 
Hard DriveOSPower
seagate7200.11 320g Vista/XP 750w Pro Power 
  hide details  
Reply
Toy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII X4 20@3710mhz 1.3875v Asrock AM3 M3A790GHX/128M EVGA GTX 260 superclocked 4g OCZ Reaper1220mhz 5-5-5 
Hard DriveOSPower
seagate7200.11 320g Vista/XP 750w Pro Power 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club