Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club - Page 480

post #4791 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMiniMe View Post
Won"t see much difference between 3.6 and 3.8 but you'll really notice the difference between 2.8 and 3.8. I'm a big believer in performance per watt. I try to unlock cores and overclock Prime95 stable as far as possible at default or a little above voltage. After that what's the point in wasting the energy for very little improvement. Unless you're benchmarking of course and then you want the highest possible score.

that does make sense, 1.42 for me right now and im stable at 3.6 ghz, i ahvent unlcoked my core yet though you think i should?
post #4792 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
that does make sense, 1.42 for me right now and im stable at 3.6 ghz, i ahvent unlcoked my core yet though you think i should?
I'd give it a try. If it doesn't unlock you're not out anything.
The Wtfer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K ASUS P8Z68-V PRO EVGA GTX 465 w/ 470 Shaders/Memory/Clocks 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Dell U2311H + LG W2242S 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster RC-692 Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
The Wtfer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K ASUS P8Z68-V PRO EVGA GTX 465 w/ 470 Shaders/Memory/Clocks 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Dell U2311H + LG W2242S 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster RC-692 Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4793 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
that does make sense, 1.42 for me right now and im stable at 3.6 ghz, i ahvent unlcoked my core yet though you think i should?
The more cores the better. Story after story about modern software not being multithreaded but in my view more cores mean Windows can use them for background processes and Win7 is the most multiprocessor aware OS yet. My box with 4 cores multitasks better and just seems smoother than my dual core and single core PC's. Not that it matters much because one is just backup and the other is a media server. My 4th box is also dual core but again it just does games and doesn't need more.
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 ASUS M5A99X EVO (Beta BIOS 0810) Powercolor HD6970 (2 gig) Factory OC'd to 940 MHz Mushkin DDR3 1600 1.35v (2X4) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 (RAID 0 64 gig x2) Lite-On SATA Windows 7 Pro X64 ASUS MS226 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 Watts Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Red LED's Logitech MX 518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 ASUS M5A99X EVO (Beta BIOS 0810) Powercolor HD6970 (2 gig) Factory OC'd to 940 MHz Mushkin DDR3 1600 1.35v (2X4) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 (RAID 0 64 gig x2) Lite-On SATA Windows 7 Pro X64 ASUS MS226 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 Watts Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Red LED's Logitech MX 518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4794 of 6432
what are your temps full load? with 3.9 and 1.5v
post #4795 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMiniMe View Post
The more cores the better. Story after story about modern software not being multithreaded but in my view more cores mean Windows can use them for background processes and Win7 is the most multiprocessor aware OS yet. My box with 4 cores multitasks better and just seems smoother than my dual core and single core PC's. Not that it matters much because one is just backup and the other is a media server. My 4th box is also dual core but again it just does games and doesn't need more.

are you overclocked? what are your stats
post #4796 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
are you overclocked? what are your stats
My main work horse is just running a 720 with the 4th core unlocked at 3.0 GHz which is barely overclocked. One of the sticks of Corsair 1066 RAM I had went bad and I RMA'd them both. I'm currently running XP with 1 Gig 800 RAM waiting for my replacement. Not really interested in high speed with this box. My game box has a Phenom II X2 545 that I had hoped would unlock but Meh, it wouldn't. Still a bargain at $69 free shipping from Ebay. But that CPU is a good OC'er and it is running 3.750 GHz one bump up from stock voltage. No doubt it has a lot more in it but I've not had it very long and don't know what it will do yet.
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 ASUS M5A99X EVO (Beta BIOS 0810) Powercolor HD6970 (2 gig) Factory OC'd to 940 MHz Mushkin DDR3 1600 1.35v (2X4) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 (RAID 0 64 gig x2) Lite-On SATA Windows 7 Pro X64 ASUS MS226 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 Watts Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Red LED's Logitech MX 518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 ASUS M5A99X EVO (Beta BIOS 0810) Powercolor HD6970 (2 gig) Factory OC'd to 940 MHz Mushkin DDR3 1600 1.35v (2X4) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 (RAID 0 64 gig x2) Lite-On SATA Windows 7 Pro X64 ASUS MS226 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 Watts Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Red LED's Logitech MX 518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4797 of 6432
Hey quick question: the voltage posts in this thread, are they load volts or BIOS settings?
and if i have it set at 1.56v in the bios but it doesn't read more than 1.55 in windows am i killing the chip?
And my BIOS will turn the voltage value red at 1.6v, i read on maximum PC that the motherboard senses the CPU and will post safe values. So they said anything under this "red" zone is safe. But will my chip still last?
Work horse
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2330m HMA51_HR Intel HD 3000 2x4GB Kingston 1066MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Seagate Momentus + 750GB WD Caviar Black Stock air Ubuntu MATE 15.10 15.6" 1366x768 
PowerCaseMouse
Insignia 90W Stock laptop Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
Work horse
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2330m HMA51_HR Intel HD 3000 2x4GB Kingston 1066MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Seagate Momentus + 750GB WD Caviar Black Stock air Ubuntu MATE 15.10 15.6" 1366x768 
PowerCaseMouse
Insignia 90W Stock laptop Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4798 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear of Oneself View Post
Hey quick question: the voltage posts in this thread, are they load volts or BIOS settings?
and if i have it set at 1.56v in the bios but it doesn't read more than 1.55 in windows am i killing the chip?
And my BIOS will turn the voltage value red at 1.6v, i read on maximum PC that the motherboard senses the CPU and will post safe values. So they said anything under this "red" zone is safe. But will my chip still last?
BIOS settings and nobody can predict anything with absolute certainty but AMD supports their CPU's up to 1.55v so I'm pretty sure you're alright if you keep it there or below. That's another reason I like AMD, fry Intel and you're out some serious coin. Fry AMD and just go buy another one.
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 ASUS M5A99X EVO (Beta BIOS 0810) Powercolor HD6970 (2 gig) Factory OC'd to 940 MHz Mushkin DDR3 1600 1.35v (2X4) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 (RAID 0 64 gig x2) Lite-On SATA Windows 7 Pro X64 ASUS MS226 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 Watts Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Red LED's Logitech MX 518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 ASUS M5A99X EVO (Beta BIOS 0810) Powercolor HD6970 (2 gig) Factory OC'd to 940 MHz Mushkin DDR3 1600 1.35v (2X4) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 (RAID 0 64 gig x2) Lite-On SATA Windows 7 Pro X64 ASUS MS226 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 Watts Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Red LED's Logitech MX 518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4799 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMiniMe View Post
BIOS settings and nobody can predict anything with absolute certainty but AMD supports their CPU's up to 1.55v so I'm pretty sure you're alright if you keep it there or below. That's another reason I like AMD, fry Intel and you're out some serious coin. Fry AMD and just go buy another one.

how hard do you have to push it to fry an AMD? can it be done in one overclock? and is there a program you can use to check the status of your cpu if it has anything wrong with it?
post #4800 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
how hard do you have to push it to fry an AMD? can it be done in one overclock? and is there a program you can use to check the status of your cpu if it has anything wrong with it?
Alot. I've had mine up to 1.7v and many others have pushed them further.
The Wtfer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K ASUS P8Z68-V PRO EVGA GTX 465 w/ 470 Shaders/Memory/Clocks 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Dell U2311H + LG W2242S 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster RC-692 Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
The Wtfer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K ASUS P8Z68-V PRO EVGA GTX 465 w/ 470 Shaders/Memory/Clocks 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Dell U2311H + LG W2242S 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster RC-692 Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club