Overclock.net banner

AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club

647K views 6K replies 441 participants last post by  pshootr 
#1 ·
AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club

This thread is not only about OC, it's a Club too, default results welcome.

The 700 Series are wonder chips from AMD, so lets exploit the OC'ing potential & see what stable combinations we can get from this community.
This thread is also full of tech support, if you need any help With your AMD based pc, we will happily help!

- CPU-Z Validation is required.

Stable OC's only please - stable defined by yourselves.

Format
:

- Clock Speed
- Bus xMulti
- RAM Speed
- Vcore
- HT Link
- NB Speed
- Motherboard
- Chipset
- CPU Cooling

- Number of Core's
- Cpuz Validation

RANK CHART

<!-- AME Google Spreadsheet -->
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rH3NgyH1WmOs7zJeVmNvGCQ&w=160&h=2300
Google Spreadsheet

The older Excel based spread sheet is still available HERE.

What we think we've learned (so far):

These Cpu's like lower temps much more than higher voltage's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference Reviews:

[NEOSEEKER]AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Review & Overclocking

[IXBT LABS]AMD Phenom II X3 720 / X4 810 / X4 920 Processors

[LEGIT REVIEWS]AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE and Phenom II X4 810 Processors

[TRUSTED REVIEWS]AMD Phenom II X4 810 and X3 720 BE

[OCC]AMD Phenom II 720 and 810 AM3 Review

[BENCHMARK REVIEWS]AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE Black Edition AM3 CPU

[GURU 3D]AMD Phenom II X4 810 and X3 720BE review (AM3)

[XBIT]Intel Core 2 Duo Threatened: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition CPU Review

[DRIVER HEAVEN]AMD Phenom 2 X4 810/ X3 720 BE

[BIT-TECH]AMD Phenom II 810, 805, 720 & 710 AM3 CPUs

[ANANDTECH]The Phenom II X4 810 & X3 720: AMD Gets DDR3 But Doesn't Need It

[LEGIT REVIEWS]AMD Phenom II 810 & 720 BE Processor Dry Ice Overclocking

[TOMS HARDWARE]AMD Overclocking Returns: Phenom X3 720

[BJORN3D]Phenom 2 X4 940 BE, X4 810 & X3 720 BE

[[H] ENTHUSIAST]Phenom II Gets Affordable with DDR3 & AM3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHP Code For Sig's:

Code:
Code:
[CODE][b][center][url=http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/475649-amd-phenom-ii-x3-720-oc.html][B]!!~AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club~!![/B][/url][/center][/b]
[/CODE]!!~AMD Phenom II X3 700 Series OC Club~!!

CPU Specifications can be found HERE.

Rawz, Duke and I have agreed to transfer the thread over to me.

Is this ok with all of you?

I will continue updating, helping and keeping this tread alive!

See less See more
#8 ·
#12 ·
Go ahead and add me to the list.

- Clock Speed - 3500mhz
- Bus xMulti - 250 x 14
- RAM Speed - 832
- Vcore - 1.51v
- HT Link - 2500mhz effective
- Motherboard - m2n-sli deluxe (am2)
- Chipset - nforce 570
- CPU Cooling - xigmatek s1284ee

#13 ·
Just for starters:

- Clock Speed - 3612
- Bus xMulti - 200.01 x18
- RAM Speed - 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15-22
- Vcore - 1.5v
- HT Link - 2000
- NB - 2000
- Motherboard - Asus M4A79 Deluxe
- Chipset - 790FX
- CPU Cooling - Sunbeam Core-Contact

CPU-Z - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=528606

Note:-
I can run it at 3.5Ghz on stock volts, passing all stress tests, prime95, OCCT etc. Seems like this is the sweet point for me.
3.7Ghz regardless of Volts just wont pass on Prime95, it will pass OCCT though.
Going to focus on the NB now

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesis82
View Post

thats what i thought using OCCT you would fail in 30 mins
i just dont like the idea of 1.6v+ lol not till i get a fan for my mofset and nb

I agree, I dont like 1.6v+ on my CPU and motherboard either. That is something weird with 720BE, after 3 hours prime with 1.6v the CPU temperature only goes to 38c, seems unusual compare with others.

BTW, I don't think you need to get a fan for mofset and nb, after 3 hours prime with 1.6v, it is hot when I touched the heatsink but not as hot as can burn my fingers.

#20 ·
For Staol & Nemesis,

Handy info above guys. During the last day of testing I've just never felt comfortable going above 1.55 on the cpu. What would you guys be happy running it at all the time? I just keep thinking that 3.5Ghz @ 1.4v for me seems good enough. To get any higher I really have to crank up the voltage and feel like I am just overly stressing the system. I'm fairly new at all this and would be interested in your opinions. Thanks.

#21 ·
I would recomend if using anything more than 1.5v on the Vcore, go WC'ing. 1.5v is pushing it and you'll need one of teh top air coolers. 1.6v and above and it's time for a WC'd system. 3.8Ghz seems to be the very most this chip can do (on air) which is great - 1Ghz OC. 3.6 being the average stable OC for most is still really good for an AMD chip.

@ Staol - Whats you most stable OC. If your said you BSOD on 3.8 W/ 1.55v it won't count. How did 1.6v go for you, BSOD again?

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RawZ View Post
I would recomend if using anything more than 1.5v on the Vcore, go WC'ing. 1.5v is pushing it and you'll need one of teh top air coolers. 1.6v and above and it's time for a WC'd system. 3.8Ghz seems to be the very most this chip can do (on air) which is great - 1Ghz OC. 3.6 being the average stable OC for most is still really good for an AMD chip.

@ Staol - Whats you most stable OC. If your said you BSOD on 3.8 W/ 1.55v it won't count. How did 1.6v go for you, BSOD again?
Did I just said I pass 3 hours prime with 1.6v? 3.8 W/1.55v is for an hour prime only, I got BSOD after an hour prime.
Temperature is not a problem with AM3 CPU, I never go up 40'c after 3 hours prime test with an $30 air cooler.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Staol View Post
Did I just said I pass 3 hours prime with 1.6v? 3.8 W/1.55v is for an hour prime only, I got BSOD after an hour prime.
Temperature is not a problem with AM3 CPU, I never go up 40'c after 3 hours prime test with an $30 air cooler.
Be extra careful with the cpu temp on this x3 chip. I have read that some monitoring software reads 10C below the actual. What software did u use to monitor the temp?

I know that AOD, coretemp, OCCT, HWmonitor don't report the accurate temp. I have to rely on the cpu temp led display on my board.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nirianto
View Post

Be extra careful with the cpu temp on this x3 chip. I have read that some monitoring software reads 10C below the actual. What software did u use to monitor the temp?

I know that AOD, coretemp, OCCT, HWmonitor don't report the accurate temp. I have to rely on the cpu temp led display on my board.

Nirianto,
Very interesting if true. Do you have any sources for where you may have read this at?

Thanks.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CptMorgans
View Post

For Staol & Nemesis,

Handy info above guys. During the last day of testing I've just never felt comfortable going above 1.55 on the cpu. What would you guys be happy running it at all the time? I just keep thinking that 3.5Ghz @ 1.4v for me seems good enough. To get any higher I really have to crank up the voltage and feel like I am just overly stressing the system. I'm fairly new at all this and would be interested in your opinions. Thanks.

3.6 is the most optimal setting for 720BE
it requires 1.525 vcore or less... i wouldnt suggest to go over 1.55vcore unless you have a good air cooler or just crazy enough or 300 dollars to spare just incase you burn your cpu
about stressing the system well it will take more than that to burn out your system
me i run my system 3.7@1.575v and i can run 3.8@1.65 but thats too much for me @ air
its been proven that amd Ph2 loves cooler temps than voltage and yes just to be safe add 10 degrees@ your actual temps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.