Overclock.net banner

SLI BIOS on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  terryt 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had tried flashing their GA-EX58-UD3R MoBo with the GA-EX58-UD3R SLI firmware. I read a few reviews that mentioned it "should" work. It's supposed to be the only difference between the 2 motherboards, the Nvidia licensing. I know I should have researched it a bit more but h~~~, I don't even know if that MoBo was around when I purchased the non-sli model. Anyway, just curious to know, not a show stopper. I'm very happy with my UD3R and it's working great.

Another question, since the Gigabyte bds have the dual bios, if there was a problem flashing the BIOS, would the secondary BIOS overwrite the primary?

The dual BIOS function has saved me once already and I'm loving that!

See less See more
#2 ·
It is always risky business flashing a bios with a bios not designed specifically for that mobo, but Gigabytes dual bios is supposed to save your butt if a flash goes bad. I have never had a bios flash on either of my gigabyte boards go bad, so I can't verify that it actually would save your mobo if a flash went wrong. Look in your mobo's owners manual, it should give you info on what to do if a flash goes bad, if not I know for a fact I read somewhere on gigabytes site faq's on how to recover from a bad flash with the dual bios.

#3 ·
Thanks. I was hoping that someone would confirm that it could be recovered. Like I said, it's not THAT big a deal but it would be nice to know if the GTX 260 Black Edition drops in price, I'd love to SLI a pair of them!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood406
View Post

Thanks. I was hoping that someone would confirm that it could be recovered. Like I said, it's not THAT big a deal but it would be nice to know if the GTX 260 Black Edition drops in price, I'd love to SLI a pair of them!

UD4 can via flash BIOS from UD4P's BIOS forcely support SLI. UD3R is different
Layout and that wouldn't get SLI license from GIGABYTE officially.

BTW,DualBIOS is a very useful technology.

#6 ·
Yes, this works just fine for the UD3 and UD4 Models. Here is the tools you need thanks to Gorby >>
http://g0rbi.000space.com/index.php?id=11

UD5 to Extreme also has been done.

Here is his original post of the links here as we tried to hunt down the tools on various forums. Give the fella some Rep, I see he still only has 1 Rep here after creating a webpage to host the tools, I guess since it is in the news section instead of motherboards it got buried >>
http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...ml#post5856401

#7 ·
Thanks! That's exactly what I need to get the job done. I thought it could be done but was too nervous to try it before a little more research. Well, that and getting another XFX GTX260 Black Edition graphics card!

+Rep for the great info! I'll pass along my experiences when the time comes. I suppose that it was no coincidence that "the egg" sold 20 times more -UD3R mobo's than the -UD3R-SLI

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsdmeasap View Post
Yes, this works just fine for the UD3 and UD4 Models. Here is the tools you need thanks to Gorby >>
http://g0rbi.000space.com/index.php?id=11

UD5 to Extreme also has been done.

Here is his original post of the links here as we tried to hunt down the tools on various forums. Give the fella some Rep, I see he still only has 1 Rep here after creating a webpage to host the tools, I guess since it is in the news section instead of motherboards it got buried >>
http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...ml#post5856401
In all fairness, the tools are available right on Gigabyte's site, and flashing UD3R to UD3R-SLI predates that forum thread, and the engaget article by a good deal (I mentioned it at least once in early-mid feb, and I sure wasn't the first).

Still, I supposes it's good to have the instructions and links together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood406 View Post
I suppose that it was no coincidence that "the egg" sold 20 times more -UD3R mobo's than the -UD3R-SLI
The UD3R has been out much longer, and thats the source of the differences.

#11 ·
Thanks for the corrections Blameless and to you hicookie for the link to Gigabytes website!

#12 ·
a brief confirm nvidia SLI on GA-EX58 UD3R, and officially supports
first i download the official BIOS on GIGABYTE website, F5
here is the link, http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...2989#anchor_os

Test enviroment.
CPU, Intel core i7 975 sample @ 4.4GHz
CPU HSF, Thermalright utlra 120
M/B, GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R , F5
Mermory, Kingston KHX16000D3T 3CH , 2GHz 1.65v
VGA, GIGABYTE GV-N28-1GH-B*2
PSU, Silverstone 1200w
NVdriver
hysx off
OS,Vista 32bit

Hardware picture

Turn on SLI

200Bclk*20, 4.4GHz, 1.45v for CPU, QPI-VTT 1.41v, DDR3-2GHz 1.66v
GTX 280 oc to 700GPU/1300GDDR3

#14 ·
Hey hicookie!

Did the first GTX280 card run warm? They looked like they were pretty well packed close together. Great presentation though! How in the world did you get a hold of that F5 BIOS?? When I navigate to their site, I only see F5 as a Beta and NO mention of SLI
Those Vantage scores are to die for though! I'm getting a little over 13,000 with my rig and my GTX 260 Black Edition. Keep up the good work!

+ Rep for you!

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood406 View Post
Hey hicookie!

Did the first GTX280 card run warm? They looked like they were pretty well packed close together. Great presentation though! How in the world did you get a hold of that F5 BIOS?? When I navigate to their site, I only see F5 as a Beta and NO mention of SLI
Those Vantage scores are to die for though! I'm getting a little over 13,000 with my rig and my GTX 260 Black Edition. Keep up the good work!

+ Rep for you!
Hello! this is a list of things i just got

Gigabyte Ga-EX58-UD3R
intel I7 920 ( SLBEJ ) D0 stepping
Patriot viper 6Gig
Asus Gforce 250
Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir Cpu cooler
Seagate barracuda 1TB
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W PSU
Sony dvdRW X24speed

All help would be gratefull To help me Overclock this to 4.0Mgz? thanks

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angiee View Post
Hello! this is a list of things i just got

Gigabyte Ga-EX58-UD3R
intel I7 920 ( SLBEJ ) D0 stepping
Patriot viper 6Gig
Asus Gforce 250
Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir Cpu cooler
Seagate barracuda 1TB
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W PSU
Sony dvdRW X24speed

All help would be gratefull To help me Overclock this to 4.0Mgz? thanks

Fill out your system specs properly bro using the User Control Panel. It makes it easier for people to help you out like that.

Also, this is a very old thread. Make a new thread asking for help getting your rig's speed up.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.