Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Whirlpool]Aus Government to go it alone on FTTH NBN
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Whirlpool]Aus Government to go it alone on FTTH NBN - Page 3

post #21 of 34
Thread Starter 
They said that the pricing will stay the same if not lower because the network is no longer owned by Telstra, Plus remember the talks about more fibre being laid to other countries reducing the cost of getting bandwidth into Australia, and Fibre is not like Copper, Huge speed increases can be had as technology advances by just changing the hardware on both ends of the cable without the need of laying new cables. You’re limited by the speed of light and how fast you can get something to flash lol
Edited by R@ZOR - 4/6/09 at 11:43pm
Kandalf LCS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz 200x19 1.275v Gigabyte X58 Extreme 2x Gecube 4870 512Mb CrossFire 12GB Gskill DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Seagate 7200.11 Raid0 + 13.2TB's Sony DVD Drive Windows 7 x64 1xViewSonic 26" 2xViewsonic VX 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX 620W Thermaltake Kandalf LCS + MCR320 and MCP655 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razor Mantis Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
Kandalf LCS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz 200x19 1.275v Gigabyte X58 Extreme 2x Gecube 4870 512Mb CrossFire 12GB Gskill DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Seagate 7200.11 Raid0 + 13.2TB's Sony DVD Drive Windows 7 x64 1xViewSonic 26" 2xViewsonic VX 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX 620W Thermaltake Kandalf LCS + MCR320 and MCP655 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razor Mantis Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ZOR View Post
They said that the pricing will stay the same if not lower because the network is no longer owned by Telstra, Plus remember the talks about more fibre being laid to other countries reducing the cost of getting bandwidth into Australia, and Fibre is not like Copper, Huge speed increases can be had as technology advances by just changing the hardware on both ends of the cable without the need of laying new cables. You’re limited by the speed of light and how fast you can get something to flash lol
this! For them 59 bucks is cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
right. two words: Epic Phale.

why? Because
1: it will take 10 years until it is implemented - obviously being out of date by then. i mean ten years ago we were running on dial up or not at all...
2: it's by the government = epic budget blowout
3: it will be overpriced for the consumer
4: most likely not going to unlimited - 100mbit @ 500MB cap anyone?
5: PRIVACY
6: "90%" meaning not me
post #23 of 34
Curious...whats with the privacy issue?
post #24 of 34
well if the government can see everything you're downloading...

please no resurrection of the internet filter :S

lol @ "pages loading instantly. music downloading instantly. videos in seconds. Video games in minutes"

what are they supporting piracy? LOL

and another thing... "Cable for 90% and Wireless for the other 10%"

having used wireless for a few months, i can say with certainty that it is NOT broadband. perhaps technically "256kb/s = broadband" but i'm never going back. ADSL is reasonable, ADSL2+ is perfect. unless you're an epic torrenter, i don't see the need for the extra speed.

Billions of dollars for 80% of "ordinary" families who just web browse and watch the occasional youtube video. not very well thought out IMO.
T3h_Fap_Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz FFFFF Gigabyte EP45-UD3P HD5770 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB + WD 3200AAKS LG Super multi something Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 22" 1080p 40000DCR 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
crappy gigabyte 430W Antec Truepower Trio CM 690 (modded) Razer Diamondback 3G Flame Red 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Omega Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
T3h_Fap_Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz FFFFF Gigabyte EP45-UD3P HD5770 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB + WD 3200AAKS LG Super multi something Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 22" 1080p 40000DCR 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
crappy gigabyte 430W Antec Truepower Trio CM 690 (modded) Razer Diamondback 3G Flame Red 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Omega Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
well if the government can see everything you're downloading...

please no resurrection of the internet filter :S

lol @ "pages loading instantly. music downloading instantly. videos in seconds. Video games in minutes"

what are they supporting piracy? LOL

and another thing... "Cable for 90% and Wireless for the other 10%"

having used wireless for a few months, i can say with certainty that it is NOT broadband. perhaps technically "256kb/s = broadband" but i'm never going back. ADSL is reasonable, ADSL2+ is perfect. unless you're an epic torrenter, i don't see the need for the extra speed.

Billions of dollars for 80% of "ordinary" families who just web browse and watch the occasional youtube video. not very well thought out IMO.
Try to stream 720p video and then tell me ADSL2+ is good enough. Also, keep in mind that FTTH is not affected by attenuation. So, if you are on the 50 Mbps plan, you get very close to that. I am on a 24000/1000 plan at the moment and I get 8700/800 or something.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
Try to stream 720p video and then tell me ADSL2+ is good enough. Also, keep in mind that FTTH is not affected by attenuation. So, if you are on the 50 Mbps plan, you get very close to that. I am on a 24000/1000 plan at the moment and I get 8700/800 or something.
Whos your ISP? Do they work under the Optus backbone or the Telstra? Are you near an exchange?

These two factors influence the speed mate. That's most likely why you are suffering from not full ADSL2+ speed. You need to be near an exchange... and yeah streaming is soo bloody annoying without fast speed. I am finding ADSL1 slow atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
well if the government can see everything you're downloading...

please no resurrection of the internet filter :S

lol @ "pages loading instantly. music downloading instantly. videos in seconds. Video games in minutes"

what are they supporting piracy? LOL

and another thing... "Cable for 90% and Wireless for the other 10%"

having used wireless for a few months, i can say with certainty that it is NOT broadband. perhaps technically "256kb/s = broadband" but i'm never going back. ADSL is reasonable, ADSL2+ is perfect. unless you're an epic torrenter, i don't see the need for the extra speed.

Billions of dollars for 80% of "ordinary" families who just web browse and watch the occasional youtube video. not very well thought out IMO.
That internet filter is still under trial periods mate. I don't know what results its bringing up though.

Well I have got broadband and wireless network at home and I can tell you I can get near full ADSL speed which is 52KB/s.About the speed being perfect... thing thing is...The faster you go the faster you want to go. Remeber Dial up . I thought that was sufficient until I went to ADSL and I am finding ADSL slow. Its a never ending cycle...We are speed hungry lol.
post #27 of 34
I can't see how this makes Big Brothering us any easier, so...

w000t!
post #28 of 34
Well I hope the other parties block the filtering.

I WANT MOAR INTERZ.
post #29 of 34
I hope this turns out good, i really do, but i know it will fail because in 10 years fibre optics will probly be outdated. It would be nice if optus got that contract though, they are good when it comes to internet.
McSteve
(10 items)
 
Zohard 5
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 MSI Bazooka B350M Asus Dual RX460 OC (Unlocked) G.Skill Ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Transcend SSD220 WD Blue Wraith Spire Windows 10 
PowerCase
Corsair VS550 DeepCool SmartLED 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1231V3 AsRock H97 Performance Asus R9 290 Direct Cu II OC G.Skill 1333mhz 2 x 4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 2 x 4GB WD Blue 320GB WD Blue 1TB Intel 330 120GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Super Blu Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro TCL 50" TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Coolermaster Quickfire TX (Cherry Red) Fractal Design Integra M 650W NZXT Guardian 921 Logitech G300 
Audio
Sony 5.1 Home Theatre 
  hide details  
Reply
McSteve
(10 items)
 
Zohard 5
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 MSI Bazooka B350M Asus Dual RX460 OC (Unlocked) G.Skill Ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Transcend SSD220 WD Blue Wraith Spire Windows 10 
PowerCase
Corsair VS550 DeepCool SmartLED 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1231V3 AsRock H97 Performance Asus R9 290 Direct Cu II OC G.Skill 1333mhz 2 x 4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 2 x 4GB WD Blue 320GB WD Blue 1TB Intel 330 120GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Super Blu Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro TCL 50" TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Coolermaster Quickfire TX (Cherry Red) Fractal Design Integra M 650W NZXT Guardian 921 Logitech G300 
Audio
Sony 5.1 Home Theatre 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBeView Post
Whos your ISP? Do they work under the Optus backbone or the Telstra? Are you near an exchange?

These two factors influence the speed mate. That's most likely why you are suffering from not full ADSL2+ speed. You need to be near an exchange... and yeah streaming is soo bloody annoying without fast speed. I am finding ADSL1 slow atm.


That internet filter is still under trial periods mate. I don't know what results its bringing up though.

Well I have got broadband and wireless network at home and I can tell you I can get near full ADSL speed which is 52KB/s.About the speed being perfect... thing thing is...The faster you go the faster you want to go. Remeber Dial up . I thought that was sufficient until I went to ADSL and I am finding ADSL slow. Its a never ending cycle...We are speed hungry lol.

full ADSL speed is 52KB/s? my slow 1.5mbps ADSL is 150-160KB/s..

T3h_Fap_Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz FFFFF Gigabyte EP45-UD3P HD5770 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB + WD 3200AAKS LG Super multi something Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 22" 1080p 40000DCR 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
crappy gigabyte 430W Antec Truepower Trio CM 690 (modded) Razer Diamondback 3G Flame Red 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Omega Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
T3h_Fap_Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz FFFFF Gigabyte EP45-UD3P HD5770 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB + WD 3200AAKS LG Super multi something Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 22" 1080p 40000DCR 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
crappy gigabyte 430W Antec Truepower Trio CM 690 (modded) Razer Diamondback 3G Flame Red 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Omega Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Whirlpool]Aus Government to go it alone on FTTH NBN