Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › [Official] Mechanical Keyboard Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 15

post #141 of 14551
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RpR^ View Post
when i saw the 'Don't buy a Logitech or Razer, see what a REAL keyboard is like!' in your signature i stopped reading your whole topic.

In my personal exp i found out that razer is crap, but logitech?
Dude, do you even know what you are talking about?
So they are the leading, number 1 maker of mice and keyboards for no reason right?

Logitech will always be nr1 and make nr1 keyboards, every logitech i had was better then any other keyboard i ever used.

As a competitive (professional) LAN-player, logitech has never let me down..
I always used logitech, the only other keyboard i play with and is not a LGT is a steelseries 6G.

Please base your topic on facts, instead of making a so called GUIDE of personal oppinions..

grts

And I really doubt anyone cares if they are gaming on a mechanical keyboard, a rubber dome keyboard, or a wooden block. Really. Even so, you want technical proof? Look up the term n-key rollover. And then see if you can find a Logitech keyboard that can do it.

And by the way - newsflash - the Steelseries 6G you game on is a mechanical keyboard. Go ahead, pull off one of the keycaps and look.

So please, next time you want to come in and bash a thread like this, at least get your facts straight first.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #142 of 14551
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurr View Post
I have been looking at mechanical keyboards for awhile now, I'm looking for something relatively quiet, and simple. Backlit would be wonderful but the only 2 back lit ones I've been able to find are the steelseries and the DeCK which are to expensive for me to purchase.

I was wondering if anyone could point me towards one that suits what I'm looking for.

PS - relatively quiet = the quieter the better

Thanks in advance, great thread.. I've skimmed it but still at a loss for what I would be looking for...
No worries, its a lot of information to pick up at once and it's all over the place.

But the quietest mechanical boards would be the ones with the Cherry Browns. Well technically, the ones with linear switches (cherry blacks) are the quietest, but when you type on one of those you are likely to keep bottoming out, which is louder than what you get off of cherry browns.

The best cherry brown board is this Filco Majestouch, but it's just as expensive as the others. You can also get an MX11800. There's also a Cherry G80 Model that has them, but I'm not too familiar with their model names to pick it out (each letter or two stands for something, one of them being the switch type, and I have no idea which is which). If I can find the datasheet on it I'll post back and let you know.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #143 of 14551
Is an IBM model M 1391401 1988 model good for 26USD?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L eVGA 9800GT Stock Speeds GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 500GB Samsung 22X DVD Drive Windows 7 64-bit 22" Acer x223w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M Model 1391401 Antec EarthWatts 500W Troglodytic Tech Terminal Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L eVGA 9800GT Stock Speeds GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 500GB Samsung 22X DVD Drive Windows 7 64-bit 22" Acer x223w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M Model 1391401 Antec EarthWatts 500W Troglodytic Tech Terminal Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #144 of 14551
Just spent 80$ on brand new steelseries 7g. And i can just say wow where i have been and knowing that i earn my cash by typing /facepalm. And as gaming keyboard no windows button next to ctrl is win cos sometimes you just slip and have to swear . The difference is as big as going from 7$ mouse to top razer, steelseries mouse.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 4.2ghz 1.33V Asus X58 Sabertooth SLI GTX 570 GIGABYTE+MSI TF2 Crucial Ballistx 8-8-8-20 1600mhz 3x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 160gb/WD500gb AAKS Samsung RW Win 7 64bit Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steeelseries 7g CFT-700-14C Lian Li X1000 Steelseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 4.2ghz 1.33V Asus X58 Sabertooth SLI GTX 570 GIGABYTE+MSI TF2 Crucial Ballistx 8-8-8-20 1600mhz 3x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 160gb/WD500gb AAKS Samsung RW Win 7 64bit Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steeelseries 7g CFT-700-14C Lian Li X1000 Steelseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #145 of 14551
I'm utterly dumbfounded by this entire thread. I'll be honest, i didn't read the article in depth, but i did read the entire OP. From what i've gathered the benefits\\bonuses of a mechanical keyboard are: Feedback and durability.

About me:
I'm an IT professional, so lets suffice it to say that i spend plenty of time behind the keyboard, i'm also an avid gamer, so tack that on as well.... I've owned\\used keyboards since the age of 5, and type at well above the average WPM. While i do see that durability might be a plus for some (moving alot, or just HATE change) i don't really see this as a benefit. The G15 that i own is about 3+ years old now and works just as good as the day i got it (even after a few spills that required i pull out all the keys and clean the keyboard), as does the $10.00 Dell keyboard that i own (which is atleast 10 years old). I've used both a mechanical (we have a lot of old dell white keyboards at work) and non-mechanical quite thoroughly, and see no real benefits to a mechanical.

If you are a comfortable "typist" then i don't see the point\
eed for feedback.... I know i pressed the key without any feedback, because i pressed the key. Infact, at the speed i type, you'd never benefit from "click" feedback as it's just a constant stream of thumping if i'm cliping along at a good pace. I don't see a need for a "bump" effect, as again, i can feel the key going down and stopping at the bottom, and can actually tell when i've failed to apply enough force to the key because it doesn't hit the "end" of it's travel range.

My take:
With my G15 i have the features of backlight, software profiling (not sure if USB is a requirement for this), macro keys, and i actually like the "soft touch, low noise" feature of a membrane\\dome keyboard.

The question:
Given my clear lack of need for feedback, and lack of problems with duability, i fail to see any benefit to a mechanical keyboard.... can you convinence me otherwise?
Furian II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Pheon X4 955 MSI 870A-G46 Saphire 4870 1GB GSkill Ripjaw 2x4 DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home - 32 kernel cracked for more RAM Spectre 32" Acer 22" Logitech G15 V1 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9 Xact Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
Furian II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Pheon X4 955 MSI 870A-G46 Saphire 4870 1GB GSkill Ripjaw 2x4 DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home - 32 kernel cracked for more RAM Spectre 32" Acer 22" Logitech G15 V1 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9 Xact Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #146 of 14551
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHassassin View Post
Is an IBM model M 1391401 1988 model good for 26USD?
Yup, that's a pretty good price, go for it


Quote:
Originally Posted by Uantyv View Post
Just spent 80$ on brand new steelseries 7g. And i can just say wow where i have been and knowing that i earn my cash by typing /facepalm. And as gaming keyboard no windows button next to ctrl is win cos sometimes you just slip and have to swear . The difference is as big as going from 7$ mouse to top razer, steelseries mouse.
lol yes it is

And now you've been hooked!


Quote:
Originally Posted by HatesFury View Post
I'm utterly dumbfounded by this entire thread. I'll be honest, i didn't read the article in depth, but i did read the entire OP. From what i've gathered the benefits\\bonuses of a mechanical keyboard are: Feedback and durability.

About me:
I'm an IT professional, so lets suffice it to say that i spend plenty of time behind the keyboard, i'm also an avid gamer, so tack that on as well.... I've owned\\used keyboards since the age of 5, and type at well above the average WPM. While i do see that durability might be a plus for some (moving alot, or just HATE change) i don't really see this as a benefit. The G15 that i own is about 3+ years old now and works just as good as the day i got it (even after a few spills that required i pull out all the keys and clean the keyboard), as does the $10.00 Dell keyboard that i own (which is atleast 10 years old). I've used both a mechanical (we have a lot of old dell white keyboards at work) and non-mechanical quite thoroughly, and see no real benefits to a mechanical.

If you are a comfortable "typist" then i don't see the point\
eed for feedback.... I know i pressed the key without any feedback, because i pressed the key. Infact, at the speed i type, you'd never benefit from "click" feedback as it's just a constant stream of thumping if i'm cliping along at a good pace. I don't see a need for a "bump" effect, as again, i can feel the key going down and stopping at the bottom, and can actually tell when i've failed to apply enough force to the key because it doesn't hit the "end" of it's travel range.

My take:
With my G15 i have the features of backlight, software profiling (not sure if USB is a requirement for this), macro keys, and i actually like the "soft touch, low noise" feature of a membrane\\dome keyboard.

The question:
Given my clear lack of need for feedback, and lack of problems with duability, i fail to see any benefit to a mechanical keyboard.... can you convinence me otherwise?

I'm also an IT professional (and programmer), so I know exactly where you're coming from.

The thing is that you're missing one of the fundamental differences between mechanical keyboards and rubber domes - that with mechanicals you only have to press the key halfway down for it to actuate. So while I agree that the clicky aspect of most switches is useless after a certain speed, the tactile feedback is not.

Take Cherry MX Blue switches for example. The full key travel is 4mm, and the actuation point is at 2mm. The tactile bump is placed right before the actuation point - at around 1mm from the rest position - so that as soon as your finger feels it you know that you can prepare to move it to the next key while its momentum finishes the keystroke (without bottoming out).

After a little while of typing like this your finger muscles will get used to it, and you'll end up tapping the keys with just the right amount of force each time. And less key travel + less force = less fatigue.

As for software profiling and macro keys, there's always the program AutoHotkey. Personally, I prefer it over dedicated keys anyway - because it lets you set any key or combination of keys as a macro. So when you game for example, you can use it to disable your Windows key. Or set it as a macro. Or set it as a modifier for macros, to use combinations like windows+s, or windows+right click.


Edit: And there are a few backlit models of boards (I put a list a few pages back, I'll copy it in a second). And you can always mod it yourself.

Edit 2: Link
Edited by Manyak - 5/16/09 at 8:17am
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #147 of 14551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
I'm also an IT professional (and programmer), so I know exactly where you're coming from.

The thing is that you're missing one of the fundamental differences between mechanical keyboards and rubber domes - that with mechanicals you only have to press the key halfway down for it to actuate. So while I agree that the clicky aspect of most switches is useless after a certain speed, the tactile feedback is not.

Take Cherry MX Blue switches for example. The full key travel is 4mm, and the actuation point is at 2mm. The tactile bump is placed right before the actuation point - at around 1mm from the rest position - so that as soon as your finger feels it you know that you can prepare to move it to the next key while its momentum finishes the keystroke (without bottoming out).

After a little while of typing like this your finger muscles will get used to it, and you'll end up tapping the keys with just the right amount of force each time. And less key travel + less force = less fatigue.

As for software profiling and macro keys, there's always the program AutoHotkey. Personally, I prefer it over dedicated keys anyway - because it lets you set any key or combination of keys as a macro. So when you game for example, you can use it to disable your Windows key. Or set it as a macro. Or set it as a modifier for macros, to use combinations like windows+s, or windows+right click.
So in other words.... i should just stick with what i like
Furian II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Pheon X4 955 MSI 870A-G46 Saphire 4870 1GB GSkill Ripjaw 2x4 DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home - 32 kernel cracked for more RAM Spectre 32" Acer 22" Logitech G15 V1 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9 Xact Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
Furian II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Pheon X4 955 MSI 870A-G46 Saphire 4870 1GB GSkill Ripjaw 2x4 DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home - 32 kernel cracked for more RAM Spectre 32" Acer 22" Logitech G15 V1 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9 Xact Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #148 of 14551
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatesFury View Post
So in other words.... i should just stick with what i like
Yes, but it also doesn't hurt to see if you like something else a little better You can't know unless you try!
Edited by Manyak - 5/16/09 at 8:22am
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #149 of 14551
Spent an hour playing css its was something completly different. My movement felt a lot more fluid, jumps happening instanly when i press space will take time to get used to this.
Edited by Uantyv - 5/16/09 at 9:14am
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 4.2ghz 1.33V Asus X58 Sabertooth SLI GTX 570 GIGABYTE+MSI TF2 Crucial Ballistx 8-8-8-20 1600mhz 3x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 160gb/WD500gb AAKS Samsung RW Win 7 64bit Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steeelseries 7g CFT-700-14C Lian Li X1000 Steelseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 950 4.2ghz 1.33V Asus X58 Sabertooth SLI GTX 570 GIGABYTE+MSI TF2 Crucial Ballistx 8-8-8-20 1600mhz 3x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 160gb/WD500gb AAKS Samsung RW Win 7 64bit Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steeelseries 7g CFT-700-14C Lian Li X1000 Steelseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #150 of 14551
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatesFury View Post
I'm utterly dumbfounded by this entire thread. I'll be honest, i didn't read the article in depth, but i did read the entire OP. From what i've gathered the benefits\\bonuses of a mechanical keyboard are: Feedback and durability.

About me:
I'm an IT professional, so lets suffice it to say that i spend plenty of time behind the keyboard, i'm also an avid gamer, so tack that on as well.... I've owned\\used keyboards since the age of 5, and type at well above the average WPM. While i do see that durability might be a plus for some (moving alot, or just HATE change) i don't really see this as a benefit. The G15 that i own is about 3+ years old now and works just as good as the day i got it (even after a few spills that required i pull out all the keys and clean the keyboard), as does the $10.00 Dell keyboard that i own (which is atleast 10 years old). I've used both a mechanical (we have a lot of old dell white keyboards at work) and non-mechanical quite thoroughly, and see no real benefits to a mechanical.

If you are a comfortable "typist" then i don't see the point\
eed for feedback.... I know i pressed the key without any feedback, because i pressed the key. Infact, at the speed i type, you'd never benefit from "click" feedback as it's just a constant stream of thumping if i'm cliping along at a good pace. I don't see a need for a "bump" effect, as again, i can feel the key going down and stopping at the bottom, and can actually tell when i've failed to apply enough force to the key because it doesn't hit the "end" of it's travel range.

My take:
With my G15 i have the features of backlight, software profiling (not sure if USB is a requirement for this), macro keys, and i actually like the "soft touch, low noise" feature of a membrane\\dome keyboard.

The question:
Given my clear lack of need for feedback, and lack of problems with duability, i fail to see any benefit to a mechanical keyboard.... can you convinence me otherwise?
The biggest thing I understand from the guide is that this is the bad thing. Once you've pressed the key all the way down, you are then only pushing it against the plastic. It puts more strain on your fingertips and muscles. By only pushing the keys part way down, you are never wasting energy by trying to push the key against the keyboard where it cannot moove any further.

At least that is how I understand it.

I have a cheap ($7) Logitech keyboard that I have had for 6 months or so and it is starting to fail. I'll be running in a game and let go of the key and it keeps going in that direction. Also, the keys will stick when I'm typing. I'm looking at getting one of these keyboards, probably the ABS M1. I don't have the money for a very expensive one, but that one seems to be a good balance. I never use the extra features on a 'gaming' keyboard anyway.
Gunmetal Tower
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Asus GTX 580 CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 256GB Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB LG DVD Corsair H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit Asus PB278Q Dell 1907FPc  Ducky 9008-G2 Browns and Reds 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
ABS SL1050 1050W Antec P280 Logitech G700 Mionix Propus 380 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
HT | OMEGA Claro Halo Audio Technica ATH-A900X Audio Technica ATH-AD900 M-Audio AV 40 
OtherOtherOther
Logitech USB Desktop Microphone APC Back-UPS XS 1500 Wacom Intuos4 
  hide details  
Reply
Gunmetal Tower
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Asus GTX 580 CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 256GB Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB LG DVD Corsair H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit Asus PB278Q Dell 1907FPc  Ducky 9008-G2 Browns and Reds 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
ABS SL1050 1050W Antec P280 Logitech G700 Mionix Propus 380 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
HT | OMEGA Claro Halo Audio Technica ATH-A900X Audio Technica ATH-AD900 M-Audio AV 40 
OtherOtherOther
Logitech USB Desktop Microphone APC Back-UPS XS 1500 Wacom Intuos4 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › [Official] Mechanical Keyboard Guide