Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › [Official] Mechanical Keyboard Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 519

post #5181 of 14564
Well I just talked to Marin, and asked for his comments on his Filco Tactile Touch Tenkeyless Otaku keyboard, which does use blue switches. Apparently, he and I used to play TF2 competitively, so he is quite competitive...or used to be (or maybe he still is), and definitely not a casual gamer. Not surprisingly, he states that typing on it is an incredible experience. However, he also states that he has not had a single problem gaming with it either. In fact, one of the classes used in TF2 is the Scout, which has a special ability to double jump (how you would do that is by pressing the keyboard twice in rapid succession). However, I was a little concerned about blue switches and rapid succession of keys having to wait for the key to reset. Fortunately, Marin says that double jumping is actually quite easy with blue switches, and comments that the only people who would have trouble with the blue switches are the type of people who play DDR and pound the keys to death. Fortunately, we both don't do that, haha.

So it's been decided. I will be officially buying the Das Keyboard Ultimate Model S, with blue switches .
post #5182 of 14564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Mudkipz View Post
Well I just talked to Marin, and asked for his comments on his Filco Tactile Touch Tenkeyless Otaku keyboard, which does use blue switches. Apparently, he and I used to play TF2 competitively, so he is quite competitive...or used to be (or maybe he still is), and definitely not a casual gamer. Not surprisingly, he states that typing on it is an incredible experience. However, he also states that he has not had a single problem gaming with it either. In fact, one of the classes used in TF2 is the Scout, which has a special ability to double jump (how you would do that is by pressing the keyboard twice in rapid succession). However, I was a little concerned about blue switches and rapid succession of keys having to wait for the key to reset. Fortunately, Marin says that double jumping is actually quite easy with blue switches, and comments that the only people who would have trouble with the blue switches are the type of people who play DDR and pound the keys to death. Fortunately, we both don't do that, haha.

So it's been decided. I will be officially buying the Das Keyboard Ultimate Model S, with blue switches .
lulz.

I don't know how serious he is about TF2, but I competed in the CEVO/TGL tournaments/seasons when the game came out. I'm still friends with a lot of the ESEA-I players including 2 RL friends who swears by Cherry Blacks. One has played for Loaded/I7 and the other has played for eMg, Checksix, and Blight ( Warped and bLackStar if you're curious ). Whaz from QLive Loaded also has stressed how amazing the Cherry Blacks are and I believe sk.Rapha is a 7G user.

Just from personal experience and talking with friends, all the serious and competitive FPS players I know strongly prefer Cherry Blacks. Have they used blues? No, so there is direct comparison. I use linear switch types for gaming. I've tried Tactile clicky/non-clicky for gaming before and while they're still great switches, I can definitely feel that linear switches are more responsive.

As far as rhythm game players go, I don't play them myself so I cannot offer feedback on blacks perform in them. FWIW, the youtube clip is down now but there was one of a guy with a Filco otaku w/blues playing some Korean beatmania game . Anyways, just giving you another perspective from the Cherry Blacks camp for non-DDR games.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5183 of 14564
people play ddr on a keyboard?
W3520INDAHOUSE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3520 3945A906 X58A-UD7 Passive 9800GT 1GB 6x2GB Ripjaws 2000 CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
X25MG2 80GB Win7 Pro 64-bit NEC 2490WUXi2 LITE-ON SK-1788 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X750 ATCS 840 Logitech Mini Optical Razer Goliathus Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
W3520INDAHOUSE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3520 3945A906 X58A-UD7 Passive 9800GT 1GB 6x2GB Ripjaws 2000 CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
X25MG2 80GB Win7 Pro 64-bit NEC 2490WUXi2 LITE-ON SK-1788 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X750 ATCS 840 Logitech Mini Optical Razer Goliathus Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5184 of 14564
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMarkelson View Post
people play ddr on a keyboard?
With Cherry Blues too!

YouTube- Majestouch Tenkeyless n-key rollover
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5185 of 14564
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijikon5 View Post
lulz.

I don't know how serious he is about TF2, but I competed in the CEVO/TGL tournaments/seasons when the game came out. I'm still friends with a lot of the ESEA-I players including 2 RL friends who swears by Cherry Blacks. One has played for Loaded/I7 and the other has played for eMg, Checksix, and Blight ( Warped and bLackStar if you're curious ). Whaz from QLive Loaded also has stressed how amazing the Cherry Blacks are and I believe sk.Rapha is a 7G user.

Just from personal experience and talking with friends, all the serious and competitive FPS players I know strongly prefer Cherry Blacks. Have they used blues? No, so there is direct comparison. I use linear switch types for gaming. I've tried Tactile clicky/non-clicky for gaming before and while they're still great switches, I can definitely feel that linear switches are more responsive.

As far as rhythm game players go, I don't play them myself so I cannot offer feedback on blacks perform in them. FWIW, the youtube clip is down now but there was one of a guy with a Filco otaku w/blues playing some Korean beatmania game . Anyways, just giving you another perspective from the Cherry Blacks camp for non-DDR games.
OK, he wasn't that serious. The OCN TF2 was going to go to CEVO, but our team members couldn't make the commitment, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijikon5 View Post
Well now, I guess that debunks the whole DDR problem too.
Edited by Admiral Mudkipz - 7/23/10 at 12:38pm
post #5186 of 14564
I think the only true way to know which switch type is best is to go out and try them. I'm making a generalization, but it seems like a lot of the new mech. KB users ( I'm a new user too ) who has used blue switches have only used them and will often only praise them / ignore certain technical flaws that might limit gaming use. I agree that linears, especially blacks arent the best for typing and have no problem admitting that. Anyways, all of this is really useless bickering.

If you have Fry's or Microcenter near you, go out and TRY switch types. Fry's and Microcenter carry the SIIG Heavy Duty Mechnical KB which is Cherry Blues. Fry's also has the 7G which are Cherry Blacks. Also, just a FYI, the Steelseries 6Gv2 is a 100 dollar option if you had considered Blacks. FWIW, if I was in your situation, I'd go with the Browns.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5187 of 14564
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijikon5 View Post
I think the only true way to know which switch type is best is to go out and try them. I'm making a generalization, but it seems like a lot of the new mech. KB users ( I'm a new user too ) who has used blue switches have only used them and will often only praise them / ignore certain technical flaws that might limit gaming use. I agree that linears, especially blacks arent the best for typing and have no problem admitting that. Anyways, all of this is really useless bickering.

If you have Fry's or Microcenter near you, go out and TRY switch types. Fry's and Microcenter carry the SIIG Heavy Duty Mechnical KB which is Cherry Blues. Fry's also has the 7G which are Cherry Blacks. Also, just a FYI, the Steelseries 6Gv2 is a 100 dollar option if you had considered Blacks. FWIW, if I was in your situation, I'd go with the Browns.
How would you comment on this video?

YouTube- Das Keyboard Professional S Silent Model Review
He even goes so far as to say that paying $100 for the keyboard wasn't worth it vs. his rubber dome...probably doesn't know what he's talking about. The model he is using has brown switches.
post #5188 of 14564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Mudkipz View Post
How would you comment on this video?

YouTube- Das Keyboard Professional S Silent Model Review

He even goes so far as to say that paying $100 for the keyboard wasn't worth it vs. his rubber dome...probably doesn't know what he's talking about. The model he is using has brown switches.
I'm sorry, but this guy does not know what he's talking about. He starts off saying "...you can FEEL THE PLASTIC bottoming out, plastic hitting more plastic is more sharper.. so I guess that's where the tactile feel comes from...". Goes on saying " These are the MX Cherry Browns, LESS TACTILE LESS CLICKY than the Blues/Buckling springs." <--- lolwut?

The tactile feel has to do with the tactile bump, nothing to do with you loudly bottoming out. If loudly bottoming out was the tactile, than what would be the point of a tactile bump? Less Tactile, less clicky? How about, it's just as Tactile but is non-clicky, since it is not a clicky type switch. The force that requires to actuate the switch has nothing to do with being more or less tactile, it's just the switch feel due to resistance.

As far as people thinking it's overpriced or their Logitech/Razer/****-co brand rubberdomes being just as good, it's just like people who swear by a switch type. Everyone has their own preference, some people do not like Mech. KBs compared to rubber domes. As long as you're happy with your choice, it's all that matters.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5189 of 14564
wow that's all i got too say..

But today my overclock.net abs m1 key was suppose too come in which it did but ony the envelope and it was teared on the corner so i guess they could get the key out, at first i thought it was junk mail but nope it had the order slip for it in side...


so now what am i suppose too do? problee lost 5$ because of some lowlife that took it.. and problee dont even know what its for..
gigaryzen
(10 items)
 
saberex
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9 AX370-Gaming K7 Nvidia 1080 founders corsair lpx 3200@3200 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
corsair lpx 3200@3200 ssd 120gb H100 windows 10 
PowerCase
tagan 900watts thermaltake core x9 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd fx 8370e 5ghz SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 msi 390 gskill sniper 8gb 1866 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
gskill sniper 8gb 1866 ssd 120gb xspc rasa 750 with tons of fans!! windows 8.1 
PowerCase
power and cooling 750watt thermaltake core x9 
  hide details  
Reply
gigaryzen
(10 items)
 
saberex
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9 AX370-Gaming K7 Nvidia 1080 founders corsair lpx 3200@3200 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
corsair lpx 3200@3200 ssd 120gb H100 windows 10 
PowerCase
tagan 900watts thermaltake core x9 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd fx 8370e 5ghz SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 msi 390 gskill sniper 8gb 1866 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
gskill sniper 8gb 1866 ssd 120gb xspc rasa 750 with tons of fans!! windows 8.1 
PowerCase
power and cooling 750watt thermaltake core x9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5190 of 14564
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordesky1 View Post
wow that's all i got too say..

But today my overclock.net abs m1 key was suppose too come in which it did but ony the envelope and it was teared on the corner so i guess they could get the key out, at first i thought it was junk mail but nope it had the order slip for it in side...


so now what am i suppose too do? problee lost 5$ because of some lowlife that took it.. and problee dont even know what its for..
Is it insured? That ****ing sucks, some people are just scum.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 NVIDIA GTX 680  Corsair 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On DVD-R/RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO/Steelseries 7G Seasonic Platinum 1000W Antec 1100 Steelseries Kinzu / Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › [Official] Mechanical Keyboard Guide