Overclock.net banner

[Project] triple-screen mount

196K views 99 replies 71 participants last post by  lilkuz2005 
#1 ·
I finally got sick of how much desk space was being taken up by my monitor stands. So walking through Home Depot this week, i decided to make a mount for all of them. This was after looking online and seeing that they cost around $300... So here's how I did it:

Parts:
1/2" x 12 pipe x 2 @ 3.31 = 6.62
1/2" x 10 pipe x 3 @ 2.90 = 8.70
1/2" 45 degree elbow x 2 @ 1.53 = 3.06
1/2" tee x 1 @ 1.26 = 1.26
1/2" flange x 1 @ 6.60 = 6.60
1/2" straps x 1 pk @ 1.31 = 1.31
M4 x 200 machine screws x 4 (3/pk) @ 0.79 = 3.16
10-28 x 3/4" machine screws x 1 (8/pk) @ 0.98 = 0.98
10-28 x 1" machine screws x 1 (8/pk) @ 0.98 = 0.98
1/4" - 20 x 1-1/2" machine screws x 1 (4/pk) @ 0.98 = 0.98
2' x 4' sheet of MDF x 1 @ 3.96 = 3.96

for a grand total of: $37.61!

And the process:

First, I fit together all the pieces of piping. You might think that the weight of the monitors would unscrew the joints, but when the whole assembly is this big, you can really get some torque going and get it realllllly tight. The most important part was to get the four pieces across the top level.

Next, I cut the backpieces for the 3 monitors, and a mounting plate for the whole assembly

And here's the three backplates and the mounting plate.

Ignore the extra holes. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to measure out an exact square. Then I realized I had a wallmount assembly for my TV, so I used it as a jig for the holes.

Using the M4 screws (VESA standard is 4mm diameter, 0.7 thread pitch), I attached the plate to the back of the 19"...

And the 22"

Then, using a T-square, I measured the distance from the top of the monitor to where I wanted the center of the piping to run.

Then, I started drilling and fitting the straps to where they go. The bolt heads are behind the plate, and then I tightened the nuts down. I also set up a mockup of how I attatched it to my desk. You can see that I bolted the flange through that board, but I also used that fourth, smaller piece of MDF basically as a big washer underneath the whole thing. Then, I clamped the whole thing down to my table. It's not going anywhere.

And it works!

I had to be careful not to tighten down the screws into the monitor too hard, because of the screw heads coming out the back for the straps. All Home Depot had was round head. If I had used flat-head or even pan-head, I could have counter-sunk the holes, so the head would fit flush, like I was able to do with the screws for the VESA mounts on the back of the monitors.

And the second monitor goes on

And the third

I can't believe it actually worked. Now comes the fun part. Installing the thing. Here's how my desk looked to begin with. And that's an old flight manual and folded up pieces of paper under the main monitor to even it up with the side ones.

And with it all cleared off

First, I had to drill holes in the desk (measuring carefully, of course).

That's my father in law holding it up while i do my best to reach around the back and tighten up those nuts. While the dog helps, of course.

And it holds. I know, it looks a little crooked in this pic, but it's mostly just the way the individual monitors meet each other at the bend. I can still tweak it a little bit to get those monitors perfectly straight.

And here's the setup with everything in its place and wires managed. Except for that one monitor cable on the left. It wasnt quite long enough to get routed with the others, but never fear. Newegg shipped me my new one today.

And a closeup of the stand

So that's it. A triple-screen mount for under $40. Hope this maybe helps out someone, because I asked around here, and couldn't find any guides for homemade mounts like this. So had to come up with one from scratch, and I think it turned out pretty nicely. Let me know what you think!

See less See more
#4 ·
Now that's awesome! +1

#8 ·
Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate the compliments!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
Awesome job on the monitor stand. I've contemplated something like this in the past, but now I know it is possible (and for cheap as well).
Like I said, I hoped this could help someone else!

#9 ·
Wow, this is amazing. I guess that means I HAVE to buy a 3rd monitor. I've been looking at the triple stands but they are so expensive.

As I got down toward the middle I saw your desk. I was like... that is the exact same desk I am sitting at right now.

As I got further, I saw your dog. I have a dog that looks EXACTLY like that! It's a Shepherd/Husky mix. There is a pic of her in my 'Tiny' link in my sig

Very nice dude. I'm definitely gonna be doing this soon!

#11 ·
I may do something like this over the weekend for my dual monitors so they are level.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ramzinho
#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post
Cpuld you mount the monitors on the wall instead of the desk, for a totally "floating" effect?
I agree, that would be ideal. It was actually what I was planning on when I started this project. First of all, I'd need an actual wall mount. The one I have I don't think is strong enough, and I really don't want to buy one. I'd also have to redo the back of the center mount to accommodate the bracket for the side monitors. I'll keep messing around with it though, because I eventually want to get to that point.

#13 ·
Actually, I found my wallmount online, and also the TV that used to be on it. Apparently, the mount can safely support up to 30 lbs, and the TV is 34.8 lbs (without the stand, as per the manual). So I guess the weight limit isn't really set in stone? I mean the TV was on the wall with that mount for almost 2 years with no problems. I figure the rig I made doesn't weigh too much more than that, maybe less. When I have some time, I might redo the center mount and see if I can get the wallmount on securely. What do yall think?

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehighlander123 View Post
which card runs what screens?
right now, i've got it hooked up so that the 8800GTS runs the center, and the 7800GT runs the two side ones. it was the only way i could get it to work with SoftTH when I was messing around with triple-screen gaming. seems to work fine, no complaints. even HD videos play without a hitch

#19 ·
that is awesome +rep

#20 ·
Simply That's Brilliant
rep+ of course

#22 ·
awesome solution to a problem
(part of me wants to say "non-problem" as in everybody wishes for your multiple monitor "problem", but in the purest sense, great solution to the problem) great job

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.