hi guys. Some results, later I will post some photos.
GTX260 Black edition,same system
In short, there's a HUGE difference between stock and oc@950-1100+. This card is capable of astonishing performance gains and overclock capability. You can get at 1280x1024 and 1680x1050, without aa, the same performance level of 4870 512 or barely less than a GTX260 192@default (need to test if we can get more or even aim for the 216sp one while overclocked at 1ghz with the ram@1200mhz). This card it's very hungry of memory bandwidht so I suggest you to go for it.
i7920@4GHz, 4770 ASUS@DEF
, XP SP2 , 9.6 WHQL
CRYSIS GPU_BENCH DX9.0c XP 1280X1024 HIGH NOAA
CRYSIS GPU_BENCH DX9.0c XP 1680X1050 HIGH NOAA
But, I have some bad news for the non ASUS versions of hte 4770 because it seems that the other models don't have got the same high performance memory onboard. like the ASUS ones. The one I've got, asus reference, is capable of benching at 1150 or even 1170+ if properly cooled. I would change the stock cooler but I modded it to obtain such high frequency.
I added some ram heatsinks (low profile ones) and it was necessary it seems. Other heatsinks doesen't seem to work as good as thought because the main issue is that the architecture is very different from the nvidia ones. Regarding these I've noticed that Vregs could have cooled down by heatsinks but it seems that this isn't the case for these 4770 (due to core-shaders at the same frequency, in the nvidia's we' ve got different freq's for core and shaders ).
So, some suggestions :
- COOL DOWN THE CORE, SO YOU WILL COOL DOWN AUTOMATICALLY THE SHADERCORE AND THE RAM ITSELF
- INSTALL RAM HEATSINKS, LOW PROFILE ONES WITH THE STOCK COOLER (Not xfx "premium" one, which is less efficient, worse than the new ''ugly'' ones)
- If you've got the ASUS one, use smartdoctor to add voltage, do not exceed 1.175V (1.2 it's ok but you need proper cooling)
- TEST the results with ATITOOL, checking for artifacts.
- DO NOT exceed 90 degrees celsius with the RAM-SHADERCORE
Later I will post some photos
I'll keep on testing but not now, when I'll find a nice cooler with heatpipes to cool down the core, then I'll aim for 1000-1200 RS
. Stay tunedEdited by Osiride - 7/23/09 at 3:12pm