Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Phenom II steppings and max OC 550-940
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Phenom II steppings and max OC 550-940 - Page 81

post #801 of 2829
double check your RAM settings, sometimes the timings will change automatically if you change to a different RAM multi and cause poor stability or no POST.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII X4 940 @ 3.6GHz @ 1.50v ASUS M4A79... CPU-NB @ 2756MHz @ 1.40v ASUS 4870x2, 830/1000 OCZ DDR2-1150 @ 1129MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x VelociRaptor, 2x Raptor X's RAID 0 2x ASUS DVD-RW's Vista Ultimate x86/XP x86 22" Chimei 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ ModXstream 900W TT Armor Black Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII X4 940 @ 3.6GHz @ 1.50v ASUS M4A79... CPU-NB @ 2756MHz @ 1.40v ASUS 4870x2, 830/1000 OCZ DDR2-1150 @ 1129MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x VelociRaptor, 2x Raptor X's RAID 0 2x ASUS DVD-RW's Vista Ultimate x86/XP x86 22" Chimei 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ ModXstream 900W TT Armor Black Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #802 of 2829
I get random BSOD and its weird cause I can prime95 for hours and it will be stable but if its idling for a few hours and I click on Firefox is will blue screen. Its really weird. Windows blames my anti virus for some reason. I guess ill switch and try again.
Brain Scorcher
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4 jigga-watts ASUS Rampage II Gigabyte 6970 2gb 3x 2GB Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair Nova 32gb Win7 64bit 24 inch Filco Majestouch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OwlTech 1000w Coolermaster HAF 932 Intellimouse 1.1a Xtrac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Brain Scorcher
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4 jigga-watts ASUS Rampage II Gigabyte 6970 2gb 3x 2GB Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair Nova 32gb Win7 64bit 24 inch Filco Majestouch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OwlTech 1000w Coolermaster HAF 932 Intellimouse 1.1a Xtrac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #803 of 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckerDontPlay View Post
I get random BSOD and its weird cause I can prime95 for hours and it will be stable but if its idling for a few hours and I click on Firefox is will blue screen. Its really weird. Windows blames my anti virus for some reason. I guess ill switch and try again.
UH... I though that problem was gone with these chips, my 9850 did that, I could be prime stable (off and on) and game stable for days, then out of the blue, when I open IE or FF it crashes
Sig Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Powercolor 7870 16GB G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor PX-M3S SSD Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 23" Acer 1920x1080 1000 Watt Ultra X3 
Case
Zalman GS1000 
  hide details  
Reply
Sig Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Powercolor 7870 16GB G.SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor PX-M3S SSD Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 23" Acer 1920x1080 1000 Watt Ultra X3 
Case
Zalman GS1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #804 of 2829
Well, it took me a lot longer to get back to OCN. Sadly I don't really even have the time right now to read this board, let alone post on it and tear down my system to try and reach higher clocks. I'll check back every few weeks or so however, and will have to live vicariously through your oc's! I might even get a spare weekend in a week or two (maybe) to try one last batch of oc's. The fans/grits will arrive in a week at least, so cooling won't be the issue.

Anyway as promised, here are some screenshots which might actually be helpful to someone (doubt it) instead of the rambling post I left a while back. I made a list of bugs I discovered when testing, however I realised I could not test if it was the bios or the board, since I can't roll back to any previous bios. This combined with the fact that my first x16 PCI-E slot is faulty (cannot run at x16 with any one card I tested, yet my second slot runs at x16, giving me x8/x16 cf.....) leads to me to believe my motherboard and not the bios is mostly to blame. The same card works just fine in my brother's board (as in the same single card will run x16 pcie 2.0). My first x16 pci-e slot will never run even a single gpu/card at x16, yet my second slot does without any issue. Sigh.

I can hit 3.9 stable with a higher multi, however it does take more volts under this scenario. Leads me to believe that for the first batches at least, it's true that using lower multi's = higher oc's/better stability given the same clock speed. At least it seems that way to me, I never encountered anything that suggested otherwise.

Also, here's my 24/7 stable oc for now, considering that my cooling system has been destoryed. Did not really try for a max oc giving that voltage, I just spent an hour reaching something comfortable using the tests I had before. Works well enough, decent NB clock, and I simply don't have the time to try anything else sadly. Also works during normal high load (gaming etc) up to 36 degrees ambient, which is nice for summer. Tested twice with both cards stuck in, and both sticks of ram.

Anyway, gl on your oc's guys, keep on pushing it! Keep up the good work, you're figuring out a lot of info it would seem, and thanks again to baller for keeping this thread up to date!



Edited by Drin - 2/4/09 at 1:12am
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @ 4.5GHz stable EVGA Classified E760 | EK-WB 2x 5870 @ 1GHz in Crossfire 6GB G.Skill Trident 2000MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 7200.12 500GB Raid 0, 2x 2TB WD greens Liteon iHAS324 Win 7 Professional x64 24" Samsung 245b 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g15 rev. 2 Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W TJ-07 Death Adder v2 
Mouse Pad
Qck Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @ 4.5GHz stable EVGA Classified E760 | EK-WB 2x 5870 @ 1GHz in Crossfire 6GB G.Skill Trident 2000MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 7200.12 500GB Raid 0, 2x 2TB WD greens Liteon iHAS324 Win 7 Professional x64 24" Samsung 245b 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g15 rev. 2 Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W TJ-07 Death Adder v2 
Mouse Pad
Qck Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #805 of 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by emersonsc View Post
I'm having issues getting mine to OC at all... no matter what i try, the system either wot post, or windows onwt load or BSOD durring load. On the slight chance i got one to load windows, the second i put any load on it i BSOD. im really let down by this chip right now
Have you used this MB before with any others CPUs? If not, it could be a MB failure out of the box. And, like was mentioned, the most recent BIOS is recommended to keep your MB working correctly with your chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drin View Post
Well, it took me a lot longer to get back to OCN. Sadly I don't really even have the time right now to read this board, let alone post on it and tear down my system to try and reach higher clocks. I'll check back every few weeks or so however, and will have to live vicariously through your oc's! I might even get a spare weekend in a week or two (maybe) to try one last batch of oc's. The fans/grits will arrive in a week at least, so cooling won't be the issue.

Anyway as promised, here are some screenshots which might actually be helpful to someone (doubt it) instead of the rambling post I left a while back. I made a list of bugs I discovered when testing, however I realised I could not test if it was the bios or the board, since I can't roll back to any previous bios. This combined with the fact that my first x16 PCI-E slot is faulty (cannot run at x16 with any one card I tested, yet my second slot runs at x16, giving me x8/x16 cf.....) leads to me to believe my motherboard and not the bios is mostly to blame. The same card works just fine in my brother's board (as in the same single card will run x16 pcie 2.0). My first x16 pci-e slot will never run even a single gpu/card at x16, yet my second slot does without any issue. Sigh.

I can hit 3.9 stable with a higher multi, however it does take more volts under this scenario. Leads me to believe that for the first batches at least, it's true that using lower multi's = higher oc's/better stability given the same clock speed. At least it seems that way to me, I never encountered anything that suggested otherwise.

Also, here's my 24/7 stable oc for now, considering that my cooling system has been destoryed. Did not really try for a max oc giving that voltage, I just spent an hour reaching something comfortable using the tests I had before. Works well enough, decent NB clock, and I simply don't have the time to try anything else sadly. Also works during normal high load (gaming etc) up to 36 degrees ambient, which is nice for summer. Tested twice with both cards stuck in, and both sticks of ram.

Anyway, gl on your oc's guys, keep on pushing it! Keep up the good work, you're figuring out a lot of info it would seem, and thanks again to baller for keeping this thread up to date!
Drin, assuming you are using the same RAM in both your screen shots of OC's, why is your RAM running at 6-6-6-18 @ 348MHz for 3.9GHz, while you also had it running at 5-5-5-15 @ 518MHz for 3.626GHz??? I can't help but believe your RAM timings were limiting your stability to push farther in one of those scenarios... either 5-5-5-15 was too tight (quite possible), or 6-6-6-18 was too loose (very likely, given the other stable timings)... just a thought.


As for the database, today I do laundry and catch up the database... it will happen, oh yes, it will....
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 Foxconn Destroyer SLI EVGA GTX 295's (x2) 4x 2gb Geil EVO ONE DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD6400AAKS RAID-0 Vista Home Premium x64 25.5" LG W2600H-PF Enermax Revolution+85 1050W 
Case
Thermaltake Mozart TX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 Foxconn Destroyer SLI EVGA GTX 295's (x2) 4x 2gb Geil EVO ONE DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD6400AAKS RAID-0 Vista Home Premium x64 25.5" LG W2600H-PF Enermax Revolution+85 1050W 
Case
Thermaltake Mozart TX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #806 of 2829
wd drin. lookin sexy wityh the oc.
Starscream
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8Z68-V-LX AMD 280 16gb DDR3  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
128gb SSD BLAZE WINDOWS 10 Lg 24inch LED x2 CORSAIR 750watt 
Mouse
LOGITECH G9 
  hide details  
Reply
Starscream
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8Z68-V-LX AMD 280 16gb DDR3  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
128gb SSD BLAZE WINDOWS 10 Lg 24inch LED x2 CORSAIR 750watt 
Mouse
LOGITECH G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #807 of 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluvballer21 View Post
Have you used this MB before with any others CPUs? If not, it could be a MB failure out of the box. And, like was mentioned, the most recent BIOS is recommended to keep your MB working correctly with your chip.



Drin, assuming you are using the same RAM in both your screen shots of OC's, why is your RAM running at 6-6-6-18 @ 348MHz for 3.9GHz, while you also had it running at 5-5-5-15 @ 518MHz for 3.626GHz??? I can't help but believe your RAM timings were limiting your stability to push farther in one of those scenarios... either 5-5-5-15 was too tight (quite possible), or 6-6-6-18 was too loose (very likely, given the other stable timings)... just a thought.


As for the database, today I do laundry and catch up the database... it will happen, oh yes, it will....
Good point baller, was wondering if anyone would point that out! And my memory can run fine at 5-5-5-15 for 3.9ghz even, however I had to adjust my clock skews for those particular sticks (which was only 2x1gb). Finding out what clock skews work best for my particular ram and its channel was an absolute pain, required taking out each stick, putting one in individually, and memtesting it with a particular adjustment for a couple of hours and then moving onto the next. Considering there's roughly 14 different options per stick, and you eventually have to get it stable with both, its not very fun. Two sticks tried my patience, there's no way I'm going to do it with four, so I'll probably try to pick up a 2x2 kit sometime.

That's what I meant earlier when I said that my ram was holding me back slightly, not because it couldn't actually reach a decent speed with my clock, but because it took too much effort to get decent timings with a good oc. When I hit 3.9ghz the second the time it was just to see if I could hit 3.9ghz with a higher multi, and if it did take more voltage or not, and I never tried to tighten my timings due to laziness. Its quite probable it would not have made a difference, but I'll never know for now. Anyway... I feel an itch to get back to oc'ing, hopefully I'll get the time.

I tried to read all 40 pages since I last posted, but that was too difficult. However I'm glad that you managed to get your cards stepped up baller, once you get everything working your system will be very sweet Hopefully you won't encounter anymore hardware troubles, or that you already got them fixed!

Skywarp I'm sure you'll get your OC up and over 3.9ghz eventually, and your advice is helping a lot of people in this thread, far more useful than anything I'm doing. Also to rotaryKnight, what did you use for stability @ 4ghz, thats a nice OC! I'd be quite interested as that was the biggest wall I hit, so any info could potentially be very helpful. I saw 3D mark, and tf2/pi I think, but I have not been able to read every thread. And cheers robo I picked up my avatar from a webcomic called Dr. McNinja, which is pretty funny at times, if anyone is bored they should check it out sometime.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @ 4.5GHz stable EVGA Classified E760 | EK-WB 2x 5870 @ 1GHz in Crossfire 6GB G.Skill Trident 2000MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 7200.12 500GB Raid 0, 2x 2TB WD greens Liteon iHAS324 Win 7 Professional x64 24" Samsung 245b 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g15 rev. 2 Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W TJ-07 Death Adder v2 
Mouse Pad
Qck Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @ 4.5GHz stable EVGA Classified E760 | EK-WB 2x 5870 @ 1GHz in Crossfire 6GB G.Skill Trident 2000MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 7200.12 500GB Raid 0, 2x 2TB WD greens Liteon iHAS324 Win 7 Professional x64 24" Samsung 245b 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g15 rev. 2 Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W TJ-07 Death Adder v2 
Mouse Pad
Qck Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #808 of 2829
Having trouble with my OC right now, specs in sig and more settings in my Dragon platform link in sig as well.

Currently running 3.6 on 1.5v for OCCT stability and cant seem to get any higher due to temps hitting 50c on air. Any ideas on what is going on with this? Ill post my stepping and revision when i get home.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 Asus M3A78-T Powercolor AX4850 Crossfire OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Ultimate x64 LG 22" G15 Corsair 520HX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li V2000 Plus II G7 Razer Mantis Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 Asus M3A78-T Powercolor AX4850 Crossfire OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Ultimate x64 LG 22" G15 Corsair 520HX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li V2000 Plus II G7 Razer Mantis Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #809 of 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluvballer21 View Post
Have you used this MB before with any others CPUs? If not, it could be a MB failure out of the box. And, like was mentioned, the most recent BIOS is recommended to keep your MB working correctly with your chip.


yeah. i used to have a 9850 in this thing. OC'd no issues to 3.2 I also cleared the cmos and flashed the new bios on it. still no luck. im hoping my chip isnt a dud.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Asus M3A79-T Deluxe 2x HD 4870 CrossFireX Mushkin Red Line 4GB (2x2gb) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital 500GB Green Edition SATA x2 RAID 0 Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Westinghouse 21.5" 1920x1080 Logitech G15 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Asus M3A79-T Deluxe 2x HD 4870 CrossFireX Mushkin Red Line 4GB (2x2gb) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital 500GB Green Edition SATA x2 RAID 0 Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Westinghouse 21.5" 1920x1080 Logitech G15 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #810 of 2829
Mine just came in today will be installing it this weekend Steeping is 0851CPAW
Maxi
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
Maxi
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Phenom II steppings and max OC 550-940