Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club - Page 1178

post #11771 of 38154
Listened to my friend's Beyer DT770 Pro 250ohm's today, and it hit me that I reallly need to get some closed headphones. Just the thought of being able to use my headphones for more than sitting in my house was great. I knew closed headphones wouldn't leak much, but I never realized how sealed they would be.

My first thought is to find someone who'd trade their 770s for my 990s, since they have almost the same sound, and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone. If i can't find anyone I can always sell mine then get some new 770s. But I'm not too sure how other closed headphones would stack up to the 770s.

The three I'm concidering are the Beyer DT770 Pro 250ohm, The 770 80ohm, and the AKG K550. I listen to almost solely trance music, with a bit of progressive house/dnb mixed in there. I love the treble and the big soundstage of my 990s, but they're lacking slightly in the bass department. Obvioulsy I've heard the 250ohm 770s, and they sounded pretty similar to my 990s, with a bit more bass, and the closed vs open sound was definately a factor. I hear that the 80ohm 770s have even more bass, but I don't know if having lower impedance is a disadvantage? The K550s on the other hand are even lower impedance, almost deeming my FiiO e17 pointless, which is a reason I'm leaning away from those. I'm not too familiar with the sound of the K50 either.

What does OCN have to recommend for me? I don't mind looking used if I can get a good deal.
post #11772 of 38154
There is someone trying to sell some DT770 80 ohm for $105 in the market last time I checked.

I have a pair I would trade (DT770 80 ohm), I'm just not sure the difference. Would they be better for gaming?
post #11773 of 38154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgrenke View Post

Listened to my friend's Beyer DT770 Pro 250ohm's today, and it hit me that I reallly need to get some closed headphones. Just the thought of being able to use my headphones for more than sitting in my house was great. I knew closed headphones wouldn't leak much, but I never realized how sealed they would be.
My first thought is to find someone who'd trade their 770s for my 990s, since they have almost the same sound, and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone. If i can't find anyone I can always sell mine then get some new 770s. But I'm not too sure how other closed headphones would stack up to the 770s.
The three I'm concidering are the Beyer DT770 Pro 250ohm, The 770 80ohm, and the AKG K550. I listen to almost solely trance music, with a bit of progressive house/dnb mixed in there. I love the treble and the big soundstage of my 990s, but they're lacking slightly in the bass department. Obvioulsy I've heard the 250ohm 770s, and they sounded pretty similar to my 990s, with a bit more bass, and the closed vs open sound was definately a factor. I hear that the 80ohm 770s have even more bass, but I don't know if having lower impedance is a disadvantage? The K550s on the other hand are even lower impedance, almost deeming my FiiO e17 pointless, which is a reason I'm leaning away from those. I'm not too familiar with the sound of the K50 either.
What does OCN have to recommend for me? I don't mind looking used if I can get a good deal.

I have the AKG K550. If you are a bass head (you like that loud, booming, cranium vibrating bass) then I can assure you that the K550 are more than likely NOT for you. K550 has a similar sound signature to K701(2)/Q701 in that it's very analytical and neutral. The closed nature allows for much greater sound isolation. It also seems to have a bit more detailed imaging though the soundstage is not as wide. The bass is not booming, but that is not to say it is bad. I personally find the bass for both the K701 and K550 to be to my preference; tight, controlled, and accurate. If you are looking for cans heavy on the low end, I would definitely pick the DT770 over the AKG K550.
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K Asus P8Z77-M EVGA Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro Samsung 850 Pro Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Drive Corsair H50 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell UltraSharp U3415W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red Corsair AX860 Corsair Obsidian 350D Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
fUnc Mouse Mat Grace m9xx DAC/AMP ELAC B6 Schiit Lyr 2 
AudioAudio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable... Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K Asus P8Z77-M EVGA Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro Samsung 850 Pro Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Drive Corsair H50 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell UltraSharp U3415W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red Corsair AX860 Corsair Obsidian 350D Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
fUnc Mouse Mat Grace m9xx DAC/AMP ELAC B6 Schiit Lyr 2 
AudioAudio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable... Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11774 of 38154
I have not had the opportunity to test the 250ohm 770s with my STX. I do know that on the 80 ohm 770s with my STX at 300ohm, since the 80 ohm setting is nearly no gain, the DT 770s' left driver has a clipping issue at ~70 volume and up.

I have had this happen with 3 pairs before I finally gave up and just started to listen to them at lower volume. For some reason every other pair of cans I own, even my $10 pair of Sonys, can handle the 300ohm high volume setting fine. So for bass music I have mainly been using my XB500s.

I have never heard a clip on my STX with anything other than my Beyers. They have done it before on the Auzen card as well, so that is what leads me to believe that it is not the cards.



I wanted to see if the 250ohm 770s owners out there have noticed any funny business.


Have any of you ever noticed the left driver clip at high volume with any ohm model of DT?
   
LGA2011 - SERVER
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960X : 3151B743 - 5GHZ - 1.488v RIVE (3) EVGA Titan (2) CMGTX3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
(1) Neutron GTX 240GB LSI M5015 w/ BBU (8) Force GT 120GB - Raid 5 WH14NS40 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
(4) NF-R8 on DIMMs (2) FBA12G12U on H100i H100i 7 Ult 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(3) ASUS PB236Q Roccat Isku FX Antec HCP 1200 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Kone XTD Propus 380 (2) KRK Rokit 8 G2 (2) KRK Rokit 5 G2 
Audio
KRK Rokit 10S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium D GA-8i945GMF EVGA GTX 580 SC OCZ Reaper - rev. 2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 1TB 2.5" LG DVD-R Corsair H100i 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Custom Mod Corsair C70 Army Green Roccat Lua Mionix Propus 380 
Audio
Sound Blaster ZxR 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930K : L241C090 RIV Gene (2) EVGA GTX 580 (4) BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXRG (Red LED) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
(4) Agility 3 - 120GB - Raid 5 (1) WD RE4 - 500GB WH14NS40 - Internal Mount H100i w/ (2) NF-P12-1300 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
(4) NF-S12B case fans Server 2012 Samsung 60" TV Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
AX1200 Air 540 Lua Supreme III FX 
  hide details  
Reply
   
LGA2011 - SERVER
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960X : 3151B743 - 5GHZ - 1.488v RIVE (3) EVGA Titan (2) CMGTX3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
(1) Neutron GTX 240GB LSI M5015 w/ BBU (8) Force GT 120GB - Raid 5 WH14NS40 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
(4) NF-R8 on DIMMs (2) FBA12G12U on H100i H100i 7 Ult 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(3) ASUS PB236Q Roccat Isku FX Antec HCP 1200 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Kone XTD Propus 380 (2) KRK Rokit 8 G2 (2) KRK Rokit 5 G2 
Audio
KRK Rokit 10S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium D GA-8i945GMF EVGA GTX 580 SC OCZ Reaper - rev. 2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 1TB 2.5" LG DVD-R Corsair H100i 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Custom Mod Corsair C70 Army Green Roccat Lua Mionix Propus 380 
Audio
Sound Blaster ZxR 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930K : L241C090 RIV Gene (2) EVGA GTX 580 (4) BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXRG (Red LED) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
(4) Agility 3 - 120GB - Raid 5 (1) WD RE4 - 500GB WH14NS40 - Internal Mount H100i w/ (2) NF-P12-1300 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
(4) NF-S12B case fans Server 2012 Samsung 60" TV Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
AX1200 Air 540 Lua Supreme III FX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11775 of 38154
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorxrx View Post

There is someone trying to sell some DT770 80 ohm for $105 in the market last time I checked.
I have a pair I would trade (DT770 80 ohm), I'm just not sure the difference. Would they be better for gaming?
Thanks, I'll check those out or pm you if I decide on getting the 80ohm 770s. The 990s are much similar sounding to the 770s, except they are open obviously, so it'll sound more like you're listening to speakers. The bass is also less on the 990s, but is isn't horribly bad. I've been using my 990s for some gaming and they are great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob View Post

I have the AKG K550. If you are a bass head (you like that loud, booming, cranium vibrating bass) then I can assure you that the K550 are more than likely NOT for you. K550 has a similar sound signature to K701(2)/Q701 in that it's very analytical and neutral. The closed nature allows for much greater sound isolation. It also seems to have a bit more detailed imaging though the soundstage is not as wide. The bass is not booming, but that is not to say it is bad. I personally find the bass for both the K701 and K550 to be to my preference; tight, controlled, and accurate. If you are looking for cans heavy on the low end, I would definitely pick the DT770 over the AKG K550.

Thanks for the input. That's pretty much what I've been reading. I can't imagine the bass on the K550s is greater than that of my 990s, which is already pretty low. There's not much else in my price range other than the 770s that I know of (for closed headphones) so now I guess it comes down to 80 or 250ohm. Is there any difference at all in sq? Or is the higher bass on the 80ohm the only difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post


Have any of you ever noticed the left driver clip at high volume with any ohm model of DT?
My 990s have some clipping in the left ear as well. It doesn't happen very often, only at super high volumes and bassy tracks.
post #11776 of 38154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post

I have not had the opportunity to test the 250ohm 770s with my STX. I do know that on the 80 ohm 770s with my STX at 300ohm, since the 80 ohm setting is nearly no gain, the DT 770s' left driver has a clipping issue at ~70 volume and up.
I have had this happen with 3 pairs before I finally gave up and just started to listen to them at lower volume. For some reason every other pair of cans I own, even my $10 pair of Sonys, can handle the 300ohm high volume setting fine. So for bass music I have mainly been using my XB500s.
I have never heard a clip on my STX with anything other than my Beyers. They have done it before on the Auzen card as well, so that is what leads me to believe that it is not the cards.
I wanted to see if the 250ohm 770s owners out there have noticed any funny business.
Have any of you ever noticed the left driver clip at high volume with any ohm model of DT?

RMA it or get it repaired under warranty

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/service/repairs.html

Doesn't cost too much anyway to have it repaired non-warranty anyway.
post #11777 of 38154
So I have a pair of superlux 681's that I use for gaming. I want another set for music, something better in terms of quality.

Would you recommend the ATH PRO700 MK2's? or are there any better closed cans for that price? I listen to mostly dubstep, so bass would be nice; but I also listen to rock, RnB, and jazz from time to time. smile.gif

Oh, and I cannot assure that all possible recommendations can be found in my country. frown.gif I'll try to find them though. thumb.gif
post #11778 of 38154
I now have a pair of AudioTechinca A900X that I like to get the list updated with.
Super Abrams Tank
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H XFX HD7950 DD Samsung 30nm 2x4GB DDR3-1600 @ DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD 2x500GB LG Blu ray HD-dvd combo DVD-rw drive Cooler Master V6GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343 Logitech K320 Silverstone ST750EF 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Cyborg R.A.T. 3 Desk keyboard tray Audio-GD NFB-12 
Audio
Audio-Techinca A900x 
  hide details  
Reply
Super Abrams Tank
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H XFX HD7950 DD Samsung 30nm 2x4GB DDR3-1600 @ DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD 2x500GB LG Blu ray HD-dvd combo DVD-rw drive Cooler Master V6GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343 Logitech K320 Silverstone ST750EF 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Cyborg R.A.T. 3 Desk keyboard tray Audio-GD NFB-12 
Audio
Audio-Techinca A900x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11779 of 38154
I was chilling playing Saints Row the Third with in game music blaring driving my yellow Road Runner rip off muscle car when suddenly the ear cup fell off my Harx 900 on the non cord side, and i dont mean broke off completely and fell on the floor. This has baffled me, Ioved those things but the way they broke has me hesitant to by another set. But my head gigantic so it's hard to decide on another set that will have bass as good as better than the 900s without giving my migraines.
Kara
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus Hero VIII ASUS Strix 980 TI GSKILL Ripjaws V (2X8 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston Hyper X Savage Crucial M500  Corsair H110i GTX Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 2420TE Corsair Strafe (MX Browns) EVGA P2 850w Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303  Roccat Taito Sennheiser HD558 Blue Snowball Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
Kara
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus Hero VIII ASUS Strix 980 TI GSKILL Ripjaws V (2X8 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston Hyper X Savage Crucial M500  Corsair H110i GTX Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 2420TE Corsair Strafe (MX Browns) EVGA P2 850w Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303  Roccat Taito Sennheiser HD558 Blue Snowball Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11780 of 38154
Super clue it or use tape as you get another pair of headphones. You could try some Superlux headphones like the HD668B which is open back or the HD660 which are closed back. The HD660 pretty much looks like the DT770 pros. But suppose to sound more neutral and balanced. Ebay has the HD660 for $49 but sadly from china.
Super Abrams Tank
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H XFX HD7950 DD Samsung 30nm 2x4GB DDR3-1600 @ DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD 2x500GB LG Blu ray HD-dvd combo DVD-rw drive Cooler Master V6GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343 Logitech K320 Silverstone ST750EF 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Cyborg R.A.T. 3 Desk keyboard tray Audio-GD NFB-12 
Audio
Audio-Techinca A900x 
  hide details  
Reply
Super Abrams Tank
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H XFX HD7950 DD Samsung 30nm 2x4GB DDR3-1600 @ DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD 2x500GB LG Blu ray HD-dvd combo DVD-rw drive Cooler Master V6GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343 Logitech K320 Silverstone ST750EF 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Cyborg R.A.T. 3 Desk keyboard tray Audio-GD NFB-12 
Audio
Audio-Techinca A900x 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club