Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club - Page 182

post #1811 of 37820
I can't see the cans, I think the monitor I am on right now is a little dark though.

EDIT: Nevermind, you changed the pic on me lol. Nice headphone stand, I have a fancy, overkill one from Woo Audio.
X99 Glory Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5930K @ 4.4GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme MSI Lightning 290X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2407WFP Rev. A02 Ducky Legend Black w/ White Backlit Vortex Caps EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Primo White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Func. Surface 1030 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
X99 Glory Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5930K @ 4.4GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme MSI Lightning 290X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2407WFP Rev. A02 Ducky Legend Black w/ White Backlit Vortex Caps EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Primo White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Func. Surface 1030 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1812 of 37820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckydude View Post
I can't see the cans, I think the monitor I am on right now is a little dark though.

EDIT: Nevermind, you changed the pic on me lol. Nice headphone stand, I have a fancy, overkill one from Woo Audio.
Yeah, I put in the wrong link at first.
post #1813 of 37820
Nice!
Morpheus Mini
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700T SN970 GTX 960 Crucial CT102464BF160B 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 Windows 10 Pro MOTU Audio Express 
  hide details  
Reply
Morpheus Mini
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700T SN970 GTX 960 Crucial CT102464BF160B 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 Windows 10 Pro MOTU Audio Express 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1814 of 37820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
I did list mostly negative aspects, didn't I? Don't get me wrong, the C&C has served me very well and really was a wise decision on my part to choose it as my first amp (and a wise decision by you to recommend it ).

I feel like I'm ready to move up now, so more often not that I listen to the amp while thinking critically, listening for any incompetancies that I wish were improved. This attitude, combined with reading threads in Head-Fi's amp section is starting to give me a bit of upgradititus.
Umm... whats your source? The X-fi? I would not upgrade the amp. I would channel all the money (and perhaps save more) to a new source. It will make a much, much MUCH bigger difference than an amp, which makes a minuscule difference in comparison, as long as it drives the headphones without distorting or clipping.
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1815 of 37820
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
Umm... whats your source? The X-fi? I would not upgrade the amp. I would channel all the money (and perhaps save more) to a new source. It will make a much, much MUCH bigger difference than an amp, which makes a minuscule difference in comparison, as long as it drives the headphones without distorting or clipping.
That's exactly what I've decided to do; right now I'm looking at
A) Keeping the X-Fi in the setup and running it to a DAC with a Digital Coax.
B) Dropping the X-Fi out and running my amp from a USB DAC, such as the EMU 0404.

The thing that worries me about option A is the idea that my X-Fi may bottleneck the rest of the line, but I have been reassured that it won't a couple of times now.

I remember you saying that cheaper DAC's may not be worth it at all, but I really can't afford much over $200 to improve my source. At the moment I'm looking at the Zero DAC/PreAmp. Do you have any input?

Thanks much.
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1816 of 37820
On the current source note, how's that Juli@, 003? I'm looking into buying one for my carputer project.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz DFI Lanparty DK P35-T2RS XFX 7950GT 512mb G.SKILL 2x1gb DDR2 800 HZ's 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320gb SATA, RAID 0 Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW SATA XP SP3 Hanns-G HX-192RPB 19" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Merc Tt Toughpower 700w Lian Li PC-V1000BPLUSII Razer Copperhead, Green 
Mouse Pad
WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz DFI Lanparty DK P35-T2RS XFX 7950GT 512mb G.SKILL 2x1gb DDR2 800 HZ's 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320gb SATA, RAID 0 Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW SATA XP SP3 Hanns-G HX-192RPB 19" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Merc Tt Toughpower 700w Lian Li PC-V1000BPLUSII Razer Copperhead, Green 
Mouse Pad
WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1817 of 37820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
That's exactly what I've decided to do; right now I'm looking at
A) Keeping the X-Fi in the setup and running it to a DAC with a Digital Coax.
B) Dropping the X-Fi out and running my amp from a USB DAC, such as the EMU 0404.

The thing that worries me about option A is the idea that my X-Fi may bottleneck the rest of the line, but I have been reassured that it won't a couple of times now.

I remember you saying that cheaper DAC's may not be worth it at all, but I really can't afford much over $200 to improve my source. At the moment I'm looking at the Zero DAC/PreAmp. Do you have any input?

Thanks much.
In all honesty .... I'm a bit iffy about that zero dac. A dac and amp all in one for $200? Seems to good to be true. I doubt it will sound much better than a good sound card. Also it is made in china. I don't like to stereotype, but a lot of the "good value" audio gear that I have bought that was made in china was far inferior to similar components made in japan, taiwan, usa, etc... If not directly in sound quality, build quality suffers. Little things, like poor paint jobs, screw sockets that strip, loose components on the circuit board, plain old glue holding parts in place, etc....

If all you have is $200, I would either keep saving, or get a pro sound card. I highly recommend the Juli@, it sounds fantastic, it has a great digital output for when/if you get a dac, and of all the other pro cards, it has the easiest to use and least confusing drivers (and 64-bit). No real linux support, unfortunately. Other cards to consider would be the E-MU 0404, 1212m, M-audio audiophile 192, and a few others.
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1818 of 37820
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
If all you have is $200, I would either keep saving, or get a pro sound card. I highly recommend the Juli@, it sounds fantastic, it has a great digital output for when/if you get a dac, and of all the other pro cards, it has the easiest to use and least confusing drivers (and 64-bit). No real linux support, unfortunately. Other cards to consider would be the E-MU 0404, 1212m, M-audio audiophile 192, and a few others.
Well, what would you recommend for dedicated DAC's under $400-500 (doubtful I'd be willing to spend that much on 1 component, but you never know).

That Zero seems to have a decent fanbase on Head-Fi; certainly it must have some quality to it .

I'd have no problem getting another card - are they superior to their USB counterparts in general?

Thanks 003, you're giving me plenty to consider .
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1819 of 37820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
Well, what would you recommend for dedicated DAC's under $400-500 (doubtful I'd be willing to spend that much on 1 component, but you never know).

That Zero seems to have a decent fanbase on Head-Fi; certainly it must have some quality to it .

I'd have no problem getting another card - are they superior to their USB counterparts in general?

Thanks 003, you're giving me plenty to consider .
Don't bother looking for a dedicated dac unless you're prepared to spend ~$1000. Is it possible to get a good deal used? Maybe. Why do people "hear" such vast differences with cheap dacs/amps? Well, you would want to hear a difference, wouldn't you?

Much of the quality that comes from a dac is due to it's jitter rejection. If you want to get serious, you'll need something from here before you get a dac:
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/

(go to the computer audio section).

Also, before you invest in a dac, quality power also makes a difference. A good surge protector, line conditioner and power regulator help a lot.

Power, jitter, these are all things that make a difference in audio. Other stuff which will go unnamed? not so much...
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1820 of 37820
can't wait to join you guys...

BD dt770 and little dot II+ is on the way!!!
Stock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 P5K-E WiFi 8800gt 2x1gb OCZ PC2 6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
320gb WD Windows Vista HP 32bit 22" Acer LCD MX5000 
PowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master 650W Antec Nine Hundred MX1000 
  hide details  
Reply
Stock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 P5K-E WiFi 8800gt 2x1gb OCZ PC2 6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
320gb WD Windows Vista HP 32bit 22" Acer LCD MX5000 
PowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master 650W Antec Nine Hundred MX1000 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club