Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club - Page 366

post #3651 of 38150
Denon AH-D1001 powered with auzentech X-Plosions with opamps LM4562NA on front. Snappy!
My Humble PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3912.1 MHz H2o ASUS Rampage Formula ROG 48701GB 850/4600/8800GTS512MB Vmoded 870/2200/2400 6Gigs @ 1170 MHz DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F1 640GB/WD 160GB LG Vista64 Ultimate Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G5 BeQuiet 600W Thermalrock Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
ExactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
My Humble PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3912.1 MHz H2o ASUS Rampage Formula ROG 48701GB 850/4600/8800GTS512MB Vmoded 870/2200/2400 6Gigs @ 1170 MHz DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F1 640GB/WD 160GB LG Vista64 Ultimate Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G5 BeQuiet 600W Thermalrock Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
ExactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3652 of 38150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Just spent $55 on cables and adapters from Heartland HT and RadioShack.

My wallet doesn't like me right now.
Funny ...

I just bid 45 bucks on a Zu Cable Birth power cable for my DAC:

..



..

Courtesy of my recent Shure sell ...

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3653 of 38150
^^^

I should probably be getting me a decent power cable as well, but I'm obsessing way too much about my tube selection on the amp to be bothered with much else right now .

Yesterday the purpose of the SLAM configuration became very apparent to me. I had been running some 6SN7 (VT-231) tubes in my output for the past week just to get a basic feel for a standard setup, but then (at last) I threw the 5687's w/ adapters back in to see what I would hear this time.

SO. MUCH. POWER.

It is hard for me to express the vast increase in raw power that SLAM creates. I can only turn up the volume pot half as far as I could with the 6SN7. This power is making virtually everything sound superior, including the incredibly tight, driving, aspects of the signature that is the very trademark of the "SLAM" connotation.

I talked to Earl (SACD_Lover) about tube selection and learned that while very high-end 6SN7 tubes sound excellent, a true SLAM amp with 5687's in output and a 6GU7 for the gain is basically ideal and far cheaper. To give you an idea of the price difference, a pair of Mullard ECC32's (a high-end 6SN7) will run you ~ $200. One pair of Tung Sol 5687's is no more than $30 or $40.

Not to mention that Earl prefers this exact setup (well, the gain tube anyhow) in virtually all of his amps. And seeing as how Earl owns 8-9 Singlepower models and is the most authoritative figure on Singlepower this side of Mikhail, I tend to take his impressions to heart .

Anyhow, just some tube ramblings. The stuff is so addicting it must be experienced to be believed.
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3654 of 38150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
The stuff is so addicting it must be experienced to be believed.
Madness to be sure.

I was about to drop 100 dollars for a bendix tube for my DAC but after reading a gazillion threads ... decided to shoot for the power cable as I'm quite pleased with my Western Electric tube already.

Reportedly ... (least as far as my layman's wanderings have led me) ... the power cable can make a huge change in sonics when applied to the source.

We'll see ...

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3655 of 38150
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post

Reportedly ... (least as far as my layman's wanderings have led me) ... the power cable can make a huge change in sonics when applied to the source.
Hmm, that is certainly interesting. I must admit that I am not all too familiar with higher-grade power cables/conditioners, mostly because I have been quite a skeptic of them in the past.

Perhaps I will delve into them after I get the DAC - the Marantz' power cable cannot be removed from the chassis (well, maybe it can, but I'm not at all willing to take this cdp to the chop-shop).

That cable looks hawt though. Good luck Joel, hope you can grab it .
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3656 of 38150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
^^^

I should probably be getting me a decent power cable as well, but I'm obsessing way too much about my tube selection on the amp to be bothered with much else right now .

Yesterday the purpose of the SLAM configuration became very apparent to me. I had been running some 6SN7 (VT-231) tubes in my output for the past week just to get a basic feel for a standard setup, but then (at last) I threw the 5687's w/ adapters back in to see what I would hear this time.

SO. MUCH. POWER.

It is hard for me to express the vast increase in raw power that SLAM creates. I can only turn up the volume pot half as far as I could with the 6SN7. This power is making virtually everything sound superior, including the incredibly tight, driving, aspects of the signature that is the very trademark of the "SLAM" connotation.

I talked to Earl (SACD_Lover) about tube selection and learned that while very high-end 6SN7 tubes sound excellent, a true SLAM amp with 5687's in output and a 6GU7 for the gain is basically ideal and far cheaper. To give you an idea of the price difference, a pair of Mullard ECC32's (a high-end 6SN7) will run you ~ $200. One pair of Tung Sol 5687's is no more than $30 or $40.

Not to mention that Earl prefers this exact setup (well, the gain tube anyhow) in virtually all of his amps. And seeing as how Earl owns 8-9 Singlepower models and is the most authoritative figure on Singlepower this side of Mikhail, I tend to take his impressions to heart .

Anyhow, just some tube ramblings. The stuff is so addicting it must be experienced to be believed.
thus the purpose of that extra adapter I purchased and never had time to use... enjoy it my friend!


btw... what's up w/ everyone purchasing w/o talking to me?
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3657 of 38150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
Hmm, that is certainly interesting. I must admit that I am not all too familiar with higher-grade power cables/conditioners, mostly because I have been quite a skeptic of them in the past.

Perhaps I will delve into them after I get the DAC - the Marantz' power cable cannot be removed from the chassis (well, maybe it can, but I'm not at all willing to take this cdp to the chop-shop).

That cable looks hawt though. Good luck Joel, hope you can grab it .
Won.

50 bucks.

Zu sells it for 100 bucks per meter at their main site: http://www.zuaudio.com/birth.asp

...

Worth a try, anyway.

I mean ... I'm just reading reviews and then ...

It all becomes like walking around blindfolded ...arms stretched out in front ... trying not to break something but still wanting to get somewhere.

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3658 of 38150
Beyerdynamic DT 770's here
DDH
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Gigabyte EP45C-UD3R 7870 XT 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 
Hard DrivePowerMouse
240gb Samsung SSD Zalman 850w Modular Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
DDH
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Gigabyte EP45C-UD3R 7870 XT 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 
Hard DrivePowerMouse
240gb Samsung SSD Zalman 850w Modular Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3659 of 38150
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
btw... what's up w/ everyone purchasing w/o talking to me?


As I said above ...

Quote:
It all becomes like walking around blindfolded ...arms stretched out in front ... trying not to break something but still wanting to get somewhere.
...

What timing, Jacob.

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3660 of 38150
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
thus the purpose of that extra adapter I purchased and never had time to use... enjoy it my friend!


btw... what's up w/ everyone purchasing w/o talking to me?
Can that adapter be used with both the 6CG7's you provided and the 6GU7's? I asked Earl this very same question, but I believe that he overlooked it (he was fielding quite a few other questions in his defense).

Also, I tried to use one of the RCA Cleartop 6CG7's with that adapter, but I couldn't fit the tube in the sockets. It appears that one of the sockets on the adapter has some sort of build-up inside. Is there anything I can do to remedy this without harming the adapter? I am prepared to accept the fact that I made need to buy another ECC#2 adapter from Mikhail, albeit at a steep cost.
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club