Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Phenom II Overclocking Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Phenom II Overclocking Guide - Page 5

post #41 of 253
can anyone help me achieve the best and STABLE results i can with this settings.
i have the M4N82 Deluxe motherboard from ASUS and i use a software called TURBOV (if im correct) provided with the motherboard cd to overclock. i do not know how to adjust the settings with my BIOS and i am hoping someone can help me out with this, or even telling me the best performance and stability i can get by using the software, either is fine. extra things are i have 1000W power supply from CORSAIR and a CoolerMaster V10 Cooler oh and i do leave my computer on a lot as well .
Edited by luke666 - 12/1/09 at 10:15am
TheKillingMachine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 955 BE ASUS M4N82 Deluxe Galaxy GTX 570 4GB Dominator 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Dell 23inch full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX-1000W HAF-932 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
TheKillingMachine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 955 BE ASUS M4N82 Deluxe Galaxy GTX 570 4GB Dominator 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Dell 23inch full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX-1000W HAF-932 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke666 View Post
can anyone help me achieve the best and STABLE results i can with this settings.
i have the M4N82 Deluxe motherboard from ASUS and i use a software called TURBOV (if im correct) provided with the motherboard cd to overclock. i do not know how to adjust the settings with my BIOS and i am hoping someone can help me out with this, or even telling me the best performance and stability i can get by using the software, either is fine. extra things are i have 1000W power supply from CORSAIR and a CoolerMaster V10 Cooler oh and i do leave my computer on a lot as well .
Luke, welcome to Overclock.net

A lot of overclocking changes can actually be done in your bios. Go to the "Ai Tweaker" menu. There should be an option in there called, "AI Overclocking". In that menu you should have the option to change the CPU Ratio, FSB Frequency and PCIE Frequency (which doesn't really need to be touched). In the main menu of "Ai Tweaker" the DRAM Frequency Control option is also available.

Let us know if that helps. I typically stay away from software overclocking. The bios tends to be more useful. However there are some exceptions where software overclocking proves to be useful at times.

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 253
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Luke, welcome to Overclock.net

A lot of overclocking changes can actually be done in your bios. Go to the "Ai Tweaker" menu. There should be an option in there called, "AI Overclocking". In that menu you should have the option to change the CPU Ratio, FSB Frequency and PCIE Frequency (which doesn't really need to be touched). In the main menu of "Ai Tweaker" the DRAM Frequency Control option is also available.

Let us know if that helps. I typically stay away from software overclocking. The bios tends to be more useful. However there are some exceptions where software overclocking proves to be useful at times.

Good luck
Agreed on all counts there thlnk3r.

I could not cover all of the possible locations for the BIOS settings in my guide, as there are just to many. This is a great time to point out that you should be able to find settings like thlnk3r mentioned above in any BIOS, regardless of what they are are actually called. In my case, most are under a tab called "AMD overclocking", while others are just under "advanced chipset options" or something like that.

Also, I totally agree with staying away from software overclocking. Most of them (with the exception of AOD) are known for instability and file corruption in the long run, which can often lead to a corrupted OS.

Anyway, good luck with the OC, and if you need any more help, post your own thread in the forums
post #44 of 253
i was wondering if there is any possbile way u could give me the numbers instead needing to do trial and error ?
TheKillingMachine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 955 BE ASUS M4N82 Deluxe Galaxy GTX 570 4GB Dominator 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Dell 23inch full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX-1000W HAF-932 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
TheKillingMachine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 955 BE ASUS M4N82 Deluxe Galaxy GTX 570 4GB Dominator 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Dell 23inch full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX-1000W HAF-932 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Luke, welcome to Overclock.net

A lot of overclocking changes can actually be done in your bios. Go to the "Ai Tweaker" menu. There should be an option in there called, "AI Overclocking". In that menu you should have the option to change the CPU Ratio, FSB Frequency and PCIE Frequency (which doesn't really need to be touched). In the main menu of "Ai Tweaker" the DRAM Frequency Control option is also available.

Let us know if that helps. I typically stay away from software overclocking. The bios tends to be more useful. However there are some exceptions where software overclocking proves to be useful at times.

Good luck
I was wondering if you could give me the numbers that i can put to get the best and stable performance for each category?if you can. or would i have to do it trial and error style ?
TheKillingMachine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 955 BE ASUS M4N82 Deluxe Galaxy GTX 570 4GB Dominator 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Dell 23inch full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX-1000W HAF-932 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
TheKillingMachine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 955 BE ASUS M4N82 Deluxe Galaxy GTX 570 4GB Dominator 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Dell 23inch full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX-1000W HAF-932 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 253
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke666 View Post
I was wondering if you could give me the numbers that i can put to get the best and stable performance for each category?if you can. or would i have to do it trial and error style ?
Unfortunately because each computer is different in components, and each CPU is not made out of the same silicon, we can't tell you exactly what you should use to get your best OC.

The trial and error way is long, but it really is the best way to do this, otherwise you won't be sure that the OC is stable, and you might end up trashing your OS which is never very fun.

In general most PhII's can OC to about 3.6GHz without to much trouble, so try something that will land you close to that ( just play around with the multi and the reference clock). Usually at the begining stages of the OC you can make larger changes, then when you get closer to your max OC, you can make the smaller adjustments.

Good luck

P.S. There is an edit button for those times when you just need to ammend your post
post #47 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
Unfortunately because each computer is different in components, and each CPU is not made out of the same silicon, we can't tell you exactly what you should use to get your best OC.

The trial and error way is long, but it really is the best way to do this, otherwise you won't be sure that the OC is stable, and you might end up trashing your OS which is never very fun.

In general most PhII's can OC to about 3.6GHz without to much trouble, so try something that will land you close to that ( just play around with the multi and the reference clock). Usually at the begining stages of the OC you can make larger changes, then when you get closer to your max OC, you can make the smaller adjustments.

Good luck

P.S. There is an edit button for those times when you just need to ammend your post
alright, thx for the help i will get back to this thread once i am finished. it will take me quite awhile since im really busy with work these days. thx for all the info. oh and btw, if i OC in the BIOS it means it will permanently be that way when i shut down and restart my computer right ?
TheKillingMachine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 955 BE ASUS M4N82 Deluxe Galaxy GTX 570 4GB Dominator 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Dell 23inch full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX-1000W HAF-932 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
TheKillingMachine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 955 BE ASUS M4N82 Deluxe Galaxy GTX 570 4GB Dominator 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Dell 23inch full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX-1000W HAF-932 Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke666 View Post
oh and btw, if i OC in the BIOS it means it will permanently be that way when i shut down and restart my computer right ?
Luke, that is correct. The settings are saved until you go back in and change them. Clearing the CMOS will revert all settings back to the factory defaults.

Hope that helps
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 253
hey guys im new here and have also caught the overclocking bug. Its my first time and im not looking to do anything fancy. A few more FPS in counter strike would be nice . Please bare with me being a huge NOOB.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!!

Im running
windows 7x64
m4a78 plus mobo <---the board reverts RAM to 800mhz if more then 4gigs installed
phenom x2 550 <--the box says black edition but i think they all are
hd 4870
8 gig RAM
4gig OCZ 1066 timing is different though is that a big deal?
4gig ocz fat1ity 1066 <--didnt pay for randomly showed up in my build so i shoved it in there
500W coolermaster supply
CM Scout gaming case

Im not a pro at this so im assuming that this just stock cooling (im not sure ) so im aware i wont be able to OC much

So far i did what the thread told me to and just increased my multiplier a step at a time and ran prime 95 to test stability while monitoring temps with HWM.

I got up to the 18.0 multiplier before prime crashed and restarted after less then a few minutes into testing. Before that i was able to get though 15 minutes with no problems.

I didnt try to increase the voltage cause im not sure if i should the only setting i can seem to find is increasing the voltage by 50mv and im pretty sure i dont have the cooling for that.

I put the multiplier back down 17.5 which has me clocked at 3.5ghz.

Im now running a prolonged prime 95 test which has been running now for 2:30 and my max cpu temp has been 54c. I idled at 39-38. I havent added any power so i assuming if i did would i be putting too much heat stress?

Please if there is anything else i can tell you guys to help TELL ME!!! should, i stop here, can the FB/RAM be tweaked? Should i pull it back a little bit? increase voltage?

for now ill continue and run the prime95 for 6-12 hours. will i be stable and cool enough if its gets through the test? with a max cpu temp of 54-55c? room temp is around 20-23c

p.s CPU vcore accoiding to HWM is 1.33 max, its just on stock power as i have only changed the multiplier in bios
Edited by younggrasshoppa - 12/2/09 at 8:55am
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus P8Z68-VPRO MSI GTX 670 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 2x8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Kingston Hyper X 240GB San Disk extreme 120GB Antec Cooler 920 Samsung 27' 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steel Series 6Gv2 Corsair AX850 Coolermaster Storm Scout 2 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Steel Series QcK Creative X-FI Fatality 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus P8Z68-VPRO MSI GTX 670 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 2x8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Kingston Hyper X 240GB San Disk extreme 120GB Antec Cooler 920 Samsung 27' 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steel Series 6Gv2 Corsair AX850 Coolermaster Storm Scout 2 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Steel Series QcK Creative X-FI Fatality 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by younggrasshoppa View Post
I put the multiplier back down 17.5 which has me clocked at 3.5ghz.

Im now running a prolonged prime 95 test which has been running now for 2:30 and my max cpu temp has been 54c. I idled at 39-38. I havent added any power so i assuming if i did would i be putting too much heat stress?

Please if there is anything else i can tell you guys to help TELL ME!!! should, i stop here, can the FB/RAM be tweaked? Should i pull it back a little bit? increase voltage?

for now ill continue and run the prime95 for 6-12 hours. will i be stable and cool enough if its gets through the test? with a max cpu temp of 54-55c? room temp is around 20-23c

p.s CPU vcore accoiding to HWM is 1.33 max, its just on stock power as i have only changed the multiplier in bios
Younggrasshoppa, sorry for the late response. Did you pass stability testing at 3.5Ghz? If you were to up the cpu voltage that would indeed increase temperatures. The full load temperatures you described above aren't bad at all. Are you able to view your "core" temperatures instead? Those are typically the most important.

Include some cpu-z screen shots of your most recent overclock. Perhaps we can point you in the right direction. Include the cpu and memory tab if you can.

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Phenom II Overclocking Guide