Didn't really know where to post this, figured since I have posted in this thread quite a bit I would put it here:
About to get my tax refund back and thinking of doing a little sig rig system work. Not looking on any overhaul(I've only had my 4870 and 550BE(unlocked) for a few months), just building onto what I have and the worst 2-3 pieces. Mostly gaming/folding rig but do any and everything with it from time to time. I'm going to post what I think I need and maybe some questions pertaining to those, but don't mind opinions on something you think I need that I don't list.
( )=Denotes semi-flexible budget for that part1:
(~$50-100): RAM-2x1 for 4GB total. I really don't see the need to go any higher for what I do, but just out of curiosity if I was to buy say 2x2(same speed/timings of course) and place it with my 2x1, will it run both sets in dual channel and/or keep same performance still or will 1 or both run in single channel only? I wasn't sure with unmatched sized sets.2:
(~$50)New HS/F. No idea what to get on this and really not an extreme must have with my ducting system, but when it gets hotter outside it will be nice. Thought about H50, but with my ducting, I think Air HSF would be better. Suggestions?3:
(~$100-150) Hard Drive. I think this is the single most important one I need to worry about besides maybe ram. I have a couple old WD 7200rmp's that have horrible transfer speeds. Don't need a ton of space, want speed more, but not SSD prices. I'm leaning toward 1TB Caviar Black or possibly 150gb Velociraptor. I'm really not convinced the Veloci's are worth it though.4:
Lastly, possibly another 4870 to CF. This one is probably a no go as I really don't have much problems with my single one yet and I'm probably better off waiting on 5970 price drops or more likely 6000 series for single card setup.
My head keeps telling me to just skip the GPU and possibly HS/F and get a great HDD(s) and the RAM, but I'm not sure which would help me most. I could afford them all, but I am frugal and want best bang/buck. I really don't want to spend over about $300-350. I'd rather buy best of 1 or 2 parts now instead of medium performance on 3-4. Can always buy the extra 1-2 better parts I leave out this time around, at a later date. Wow, this turned out to be way longer winded than I wanted, thanks to anyone that read it through and helps