Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club - Page 162

post #1611 of 9641
I've already received an RMA number from MSI but has anyone noticed their CPU bus speed going to down for a couple of seconds in Everest Ult. 5.3???

Mine will go from 300Mhz down to 288MHz for abuot 2 secs and then back to 298 and then 300. It makes the CPU Frequency, CPU-NB Frequency, Ram Frequencies all change. but not in CPU-Z?

Any thoughts on this? Or experiences?
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #1612 of 9641
what Everest are you using i need to check mine also

edit i see the version you are using..my freq stays at 200 but i saw my NB dip to 2592 when its supposed to be at 2600. Only did it 1 time ive been staring at it for 10min...im so dumb lol
Edited by dir_d - 11/5/09 at 5:56pm
post #1613 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I've already received an RMA number from MSI but has anyone noticed their CPU bus speed going to down for a couple of seconds in Everest Ult. 5.3???

Mine will go from 300Mhz down to 288MHz for abuot 2 secs and then back to 298 and then 300. It makes the CPU Frequency, CPU-NB Frequency, Ram Frequencies all change. but not in CPU-Z?

Any thoughts on this? Or experiences?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_d View Post
what Everest are you using i need to check mine also

edit i see the version you are using..my freq stays at 200 but i saw my NB dip to 2592 when its supposed to be at 2600. Only did it 1 time ive been staring at it for 10min...im so dumb lol
What you guys are experiencing is actual fairly normal. My 939's did it and now my AM3 does it. Both the HTT (FSB) and the NB clocks vary a bit.

The thing that has troubled me the most though is sometimes when looking at core temps it'll just jump right up to 245 and sometimes it'll drop to 0. This only happens in coretemp probably because it has a MUCH faster refresh rate than Everest does. I think I have mine reporting @ 200ms so 5 times faster than Everest can.

But here's a strange one for you guys, a buddy wanted to chat using the steam Voice over IP (VOIP), so I plug my headset in (in to the proper ports of course) but the mic doesn't work. Instead when my buddy talks it transmits directly back to him. Is there a fix for this, I saw some sort of hotfix update on the CD is this supposed to fix the issue? If not I suppose it's no big deal as I have an XFi extreme music laying around collecting dust (literally) that I can throw in there.
Just curious if you guys have had any similar issues.
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1614 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I've already received an RMA number from MSI but has anyone noticed their CPU bus speed going to down for a couple of seconds in Everest Ult. 5.3???

Mine will go from 300Mhz down to 288MHz for abuot 2 secs and then back to 298 and then 300. It makes the CPU Frequency, CPU-NB Frequency, Ram Frequencies all change. but not in CPU-Z?

Any thoughts on this? Or experiences?
The last chip I just sent back, the fsb used to vary from about 80~ to 240 quickly and in varying degrees, but it did the same thing you're referring to, only worse.
Not all the time, or even very often, but under load, it would move around a bit from time to time.

Oh, and I'm using 5.3

Marc
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1615 of 9641
okay, I understand that the CPU BUS can fluctuate a Mhz or two (view in CPU-Z 1.52.2) but it's ONLY in Everest. So I can assume that it's everest and it's newly added 790FX-GD70 sensor detectors...

But did you both expereince this within CPU-Z as well? (I just looked over while writing that last sentence and Everest was reporting 285Mhz and then back to 300Mhz within a fraction of a second...)

CPU-Z 1.52.2 will report the BUS Speed going from 299.6 to 300.0Mhz. And the frequency will go from 3599.4Mhz to 3599.9Mhz. This on Full Load also.

If memory serves me correctly, I don't recall ever seeing a fluctuation this extreme in CPU-Z... On any platform. 462, 939 or AM2.....
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1616 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelouche View Post
Megahalems can be oriented both vertically and horizontally but you need to buy the AM2 mount since they only include Intel mounting brackets. The TRUE can be oriented vertically but you also need to buy aftermarket "crosshooks".

The Mega is about the same size as the TRUE give or take a cm.
Just measure my case... the Megahalem and TRUE are too tall. I can only go 5 inches in height.

What's the best 5 inch tall Heatsink guys?
Predator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820k MSI X99  Gigabyte 1080 Ti Turbo HyperX Fury 24GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vector 150 Series 240GB Pioneer Blu-ray Burner Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung KU7000 GAMDIAS Ares Gaming Keyboard In Win Commander 1200W NZXT: White Phantom Case 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Ourea Gaming Optical Mouse Ajazz First Blood Professional Gaming Mouse Pad Hyper CloudX 
  hide details  
Reply
Predator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820k MSI X99  Gigabyte 1080 Ti Turbo HyperX Fury 24GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vector 150 Series 240GB Pioneer Blu-ray Burner Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung KU7000 GAMDIAS Ares Gaming Keyboard In Win Commander 1200W NZXT: White Phantom Case 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Ourea Gaming Optical Mouse Ajazz First Blood Professional Gaming Mouse Pad Hyper CloudX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1617 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
okay, I understand that the CPU BUS can fluctuate a Mhz or two (view in CPU-Z 1.52.2) but it's ONLY in Everest. So I can assume that it's everest and it's newly added 790FX-GD70 sensor detectors...

But did you both expereince this within CPU-Z as well? (I just looked over while writing that last sentence and Everest was reporting 285Mhz and then back to 300Mhz within a fraction of a second...)

CPU-Z 1.52.2 will report the BUS Speed going from 299.6 to 300.0Mhz. And the frequency will go from 3599.4Mhz to 3599.9Mhz. This on Full Load also.

If memory serves me correctly, I don't recall ever seeing a fluctuation this extreme in CPU-Z... On any platform. 462, 939 or AM2.....
Yeah I only noticed the fluctuation in Everest as well (except for the temperature thing which only coretemp did). When I first noticed it I happened to have cpuz open at the same time and it wasn't fluctuating in CPUz (1.52.2). So like you I would have to conclude that it indeed is only an Everest anomaly.

My 939's would go at most 5 MHz down. But that was dependent on the board more so than the chip. I had the most fluctuation on my old Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe, when I switched to DFI all of my overclocking woes and HTT fluctuation went away. Too bad DFI's new boards aren't as good as their 939 ones. One of my LP UT Ultra-D's can hit 405 HTT . Voltages are as solid as a rock too. Man I love those boards ( I have 3 939 DFI's ).
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1618 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicAdam View Post
Just measure my case... the Megahalem and TRUE are too tall. I can only go 5 inches in height.

What's the best 5 inch tall Heatsink guys?
Make a hole the exact same shape as the heatsink of choice! That would look sweet!
Impulss
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASROCK Z77 Extreme 6 Gigabyte GTX570 12GB Ripjaws CL7 (2x 2GB, 2x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120GB OCZ Vertex II + Data XSPC RASA RX360 Windows 7 Ultimate N 64bit 24" Samsung 1200p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X8 800w Tagen Xigmatek Elysium Gigabyte Ghost 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Cyber Snipa HD595 + AD700 Sound Blaster X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
Impulss
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASROCK Z77 Extreme 6 Gigabyte GTX570 12GB Ripjaws CL7 (2x 2GB, 2x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120GB OCZ Vertex II + Data XSPC RASA RX360 Windows 7 Ultimate N 64bit 24" Samsung 1200p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X8 800w Tagen Xigmatek Elysium Gigabyte Ghost 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Cyber Snipa HD595 + AD700 Sound Blaster X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1619 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
Yeah I only noticed the fluctuation in Everest as well (except for the temperature thing which only coretemp did). When I first noticed it I happened to have cpuz open at the same time and it wasn't fluctuating in CPUz (1.52.2). So like you I would have to conclude that it indeed is only an Everest anomaly.

My 939's would go at most 5 MHz down. But that was dependent on the board more so than the chip. I had the most fluctuation on my old Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe, when I switched to DFI all of my overclocking woes and HTT fluctuation went away. Too bad DFI's new boards aren't as good as their 939 ones. One of my LP UT Ultra-D's can hit 405 HTT . Voltages are as solid as a rock too. Man I love those boards ( I have 3 939 DFI's ).
Lol I no joke just got rid of my A8N32 SLI Deluxe board 2 weeks ago. I gave it to my missus brother as as upgrade, except his system was so old i ended up giving him most of the stuff except for it lol. Everything bar a hard drive and dvd drive. It was sound a beast of a board and lasted friggen forever.
Impulss
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASROCK Z77 Extreme 6 Gigabyte GTX570 12GB Ripjaws CL7 (2x 2GB, 2x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120GB OCZ Vertex II + Data XSPC RASA RX360 Windows 7 Ultimate N 64bit 24" Samsung 1200p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X8 800w Tagen Xigmatek Elysium Gigabyte Ghost 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Cyber Snipa HD595 + AD700 Sound Blaster X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
Impulss
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASROCK Z77 Extreme 6 Gigabyte GTX570 12GB Ripjaws CL7 (2x 2GB, 2x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120GB OCZ Vertex II + Data XSPC RASA RX360 Windows 7 Ultimate N 64bit 24" Samsung 1200p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X8 800w Tagen Xigmatek Elysium Gigabyte Ghost 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Cyber Snipa HD595 + AD700 Sound Blaster X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1620 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAnarchy View Post
Lol I no joke just got rid of my A8N32 SLI Deluxe board 2 weeks ago. I gave it to my missus brother as as upgrade, except his system was so old i ended up giving him most of the stuff except for it lol. Everything bar a hard drive and dvd drive. It was sound a beast of a board and lasted friggen forever.
It's not a bad board. Wasn't it the first board to use the heat pipes for cooling? I sold mine right along with my opty 165 for ~$200 a while back. The main issues I had with it was Vcore fluctuation. That made it impossible for me to get a decent overclock, even on my Opty 180 which clocks to 2.9 EASILY with no voltage increase. On my Asus I could only run it @ 2800 since the Vcore was so inconsistent. AFAIK, my old board and CPU work to this day.

It actually wound up sitting in it's box after I got my DFI's though. Those boards are just pure 939 OC goodness. Rock solid voltages and so many BIOS options it makes every other 939 board look half assed. Hell the BIOS in those Ultra-D's is more robust than our GD-70's. Those things have like 10 memory dividers.
And here's the best thing about the Ultra-D ( have 2 of them), SLI MOD! I soldered the pins on both of my boards and SLI works without a hitch .
Only 1 thing I don't particularly care for on the DFI's, the stupid floppy connector on the board. It's in the worst possible place. So much for cable management.
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club