Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club - Page 212

post #2111 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduclow View Post
Ok. +rep

I do not want to go through this again, naturally, so when I get my C3, what can you suggest for me as to a good way to overclock it without damaging it. This is really my first time overclocking beyond a slight fsb increase with locked chips.

It seems I have damaged two chips then, and probably everything else I have returned so far (feeling really guilty, now!).

Marc
Honestly i think it was just the way the c2 IMCs were made...You will have better luck on a c3.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2112 of 9641
I might poop my self if my RMA'd 955 comes back with a new 955 with the C3 stepping

Its sad boxing up goodies to mail them back, I never want to have to do this again.
My PC <
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 960T ASRock 970 Extreme3  Nvidia 660ti G.skill Eco 7-8-7-24 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 850 Antec KUHLER H2O 620 Windows 10 64 bit Acer P244w 24" 
PowerCase
Corsair AX750 Corsair 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC <
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 960T ASRock 970 Extreme3  Nvidia 660ti G.skill Eco 7-8-7-24 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 850 Antec KUHLER H2O 620 Windows 10 64 bit Acer P244w 24" 
PowerCase
Corsair AX750 Corsair 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2113 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduclow View Post
Ok. +rep

I do not want to go through this again, naturally, so when I get my C3, what can you suggest for me as to a good way to overclock it without damaging it. This is really my first time overclocking beyond a slight fsb increase with locked chips.

It seems I have damaged two chips then, and probably everything else I have returned so far (feeling really guilty, now!).

Marc
Marc, This is exactly the reason why stability testing for a good long while is imperative. With AM3 I wont run prime for any less than 8 hours, but it is preferential to let it run longer.
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2114 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
Marc, This is exactly the reason why stability testing for a good long while is imperative. With AM3 I wont run prime for any less than 8 hours, but it is preferential to let it run longer.
Ok, can you elaborate on this for me?

Are you saying the more you run it with slight voltage increases, the easier it will accept higher volts down the road, and the lower the chance of irreparable damage?

Sorry about my noobiness, but the knowledge here is terrific, and has already helped me tremendously. And... apparently I have already damaged at least one chip's IMC by volting it, or clocking it too high.

Marc
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2115 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopxsticks View Post
I might poop my self if my RMA'd 955 comes back with a new 955 with the C3 stepping
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2116 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduclow View Post
Ok, can you elaborate on this for me?

Are you saying the more you run it with slight voltage increases, the easier it will accept higher volts down the road, and the lower the chance of irreparable damage?

Sorry about my noobiness, but the knowledge here is terrific, and has already helped me tremendously. And... apparently I have damaged at least one chip's IMC by volting it, or clocking it too high already.

Marc
Basically, with every step you increase your CPU stress test it.
So lets say you're testing your CPU frequency, you do short stress tests to verify that it's not erring right away. Then once you achieve the clock speed you'd like to stay with, lets say 4GHz, run prime for at least 12 hours. If it doesn't BSOD, lock up or restart that should be sufficient.
Then set your CPU frequency back to stock and start raising the NB-CPU frequency and voltage. With every step run a relatively short stress test, lets say half an hour. Then once you achieve the CPU-NB frequency you desire to keep, then stress it for at least 12 hours.
If it passes, raise your CPU frequency to whatever you determined to be stable, keep the CPU-NB frequency to what you determined to be stable and stress them both for at least 12 hours. (Keep your memory at stock speeds (1333) and auto timings).

Then move on to your RAM. So set the CPU and the CPU-NB back to stock speeds and voltages and start overclocking the RAM. The way I do it is by first increasing the frequency, I run memtest for 2 full passes. If there are no errors, I run prime for several hours. If I don't get any errors I'll increase the frequency some more. Once again memtest and prime it. Then once I get to a reasonable overclock, I start tightening up the timings. Then once again stress it.

Once you determine what RAM frequency and timings are stable, put it all together. Raise the CPU, CPU-NB and RAM to your predetermined OC and prime it for a minimum of 12 hours. However, 24 hours is preferable.

That's kind of in a nutshell. Hope it helps.
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2117 of 9641
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
So what does everyone run as far as PSU Brand, #of Rails and Amperage for their Phenom setups?

I'm curious...

I have RaidMax 850w 4 rails at 20Amps. Moduler wires except the 24pin and 8pin(2x4) connectors...
I am using the corsair 850TX. non-modular Single rail +12v 70A, 30A on 5 and 3.3v lines. This will be more then enough for my system even when I get my new card(or cards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Good question. I may be wrong but I believe that the grounding is done by the outlet!?

And the board and other components are grounded through the wiring...? No?
Correct. Mine is in no way grounded to the rest of the system as it's an acrylic Tech station so no issues there.

On another note would anyone be willing to write a bios flashing guide specifically for this board and club?
Edited by eclipseaudio4 - 11/20/09 at 2:21pm
Black beauty
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k asus x99-a Gtx 770 G.skill ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
samsung 840 evo  WD black WD black Custom water 320 rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 21.5 led x3 Logitech g110 Corsair 850TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
technofront HWD Steelseries Xai WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
Black beauty
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k asus x99-a Gtx 770 G.skill ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
samsung 840 evo  WD black WD black Custom water 320 rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 21.5 led x3 Logitech g110 Corsair 850TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
technofront HWD Steelseries Xai WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2118 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseaudio4 View Post
Rewind I am going to ask you once to please stop the abuse or I WILL have your posts in this thread removed as well as any others you add to it.
And i am guessing you where going to quiet the other guy up as well right?

We apparently have solved the situation and you insist with bringing it up?

He has just as much abused me as i have him (oh you haven't confronted him either....) so let the discussion die already
Edited by Rewindlabs - 11/20/09 at 2:29pm
post #2119 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
Basically, with every step you increase your CPU stress test it.
So lets say you're testing your CPU frequency, you do short stress tests to verify that it's not erring right away. Then once you achieve the clock speed you'd like to stay with, lets say 4GHz, run prime for at least 12 hours. If it doesn't BSOD, lock up or restart that should be sufficient.
Then set your CPU frequency back to stock and start raising the NB-CPU frequency and voltage. With every step run a relatively short stress test, lets say half an hour. Then once you achieve the CPU-NB frequency you desire to keep, then stress it for at least 12 hours.
If it passes, raise your CPU frequency to whatever you determined to be stable, keep the CPU-NB frequency to what you determined to be stable and stress them both for at least 12 hours. (Keep your memory at stock speeds (1333) and auto timings).

Then move on to your RAM. So set the CPU and the CPU-NB back to stock speeds and voltages and start overclocking the RAM. The way I do it is by first increasing the frequency, I run memtest for 2 full passes. If there are no errors, I run prime for several hours. If I don't get any errors I'll increase the frequency some more. Once again memtest and prime it. Then once I get to a reasonable overclock, I start tightening up the timings. Then once again stress it.

Once you determine what RAM frequency and timings are stable, put it all together. Raise the CPU, CPU-NB and RAM to your predetermined OC and prime it for a minimum of 12 hours. However, 24 hours is preferable.

That's kind of in a nutshell. Hope it helps.
Awesome, buddy, thanks!
Pretty much how I've done it, but I guess I haven't been quite as diligent in the prelim steps and stressing.

I just want 4Ghz (not 3989Mhz ) NB 2.8, and RAM 1600+ @ stock timings for 24/7. Anything better than that is gravy to me. I am really hoping the 965 C3 will be a breeze on my system for that.

Marc
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2120 of 9641
Still a huge fan of the board - about a month now, and it rocks..

Using onboard sound, no issues.
Unlocked my 550 BE and has it running at 3.81
RAM's at 1648 stable....

2 fans ghetto strapped to the huge NB...which does get hot...CPU under water.

No complaints whatsoever with the board... not sure on BIOS - it was about a month back...

Just an update since people were wondering about the quality of recent boards...

Oh yeah - and the stress test is all 4 cores running at 90% with GPU at 100% on boinc... no crashes since the first week! That's running 20/7 (leaving a few hours for gaming in there - which isn't every night)
Lazarus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Ryzen 7 1700 AsRock Killer SLI/ac X370 AM4 XFX RX580 8GB PowerColor RX480 4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Team Dark DDR4 8GB 2400 @2933 OCZ/Toshiba SSD 240 GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB Wraith Cooler 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Home x64 Qnix 27'" 2K Rosewill Glacier 850 Watts Rosewill Nighthawk  
MouseMouse Pad
Cliptec Blue Gaming Mouse The X-Files 
  hide details  
Reply
Lazarus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Ryzen 7 1700 AsRock Killer SLI/ac X370 AM4 XFX RX580 8GB PowerColor RX480 4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Team Dark DDR4 8GB 2400 @2933 OCZ/Toshiba SSD 240 GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB Wraith Cooler 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Home x64 Qnix 27'" 2K Rosewill Glacier 850 Watts Rosewill Nighthawk  
MouseMouse Pad
Cliptec Blue Gaming Mouse The X-Files 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club