Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club - Page 243

post #2421 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
unoptimized and in windows 7. I bet xp + dialed in NB and Ram settings will net near 5.5ghz validation! NB was @ 3400mhz roughly and some ram @ 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 1t

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=853210
That's an awesome clock there!

That new phase change you have is doing it's job! How low are your core temps? Is it down into the -50's?

Marc
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2422 of 9641
Thread Starter 
Well unfortunately I cant really give a compare with anything over 2.6 as 13 is the highest multi and to get it higher I would have to raise the HTT, which would be an unfair advantage.

So... I have moved on to ACC testing. I am going to be running a 4.0GHz, 2.6NB 2.0HT with just enough voltage to have it be tri core stable(logical core 2 is weakest) and see If I cant get it stable.

EDIT: I can tell from just the first 5 tests that ACC has done something to sync core 2 with the others as it is no longer behind. Altho core 1 is running ahead of the rest of them.
Edited by eclipseaudio4 - 11/28/09 at 1:13pm
Black beauty
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k asus x99-a Gtx 770 G.skill ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
samsung 840 evo  WD black WD black Custom water 320 rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 21.5 led x3 Logitech g110 Corsair 850TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
technofront HWD Steelseries Xai WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
Black beauty
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k asus x99-a Gtx 770 G.skill ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
samsung 840 evo  WD black WD black Custom water 320 rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 21.5 led x3 Logitech g110 Corsair 850TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
technofront HWD Steelseries Xai WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2423 of 9641
I have a question. I've built a new system with:

1 SATA SSD 64GB
1 SATA BD-ROM/DVD-RW
4x500GB SATA drives
1x750GB SATA drive

Right now, I have the 4x500GB, 64GB SSD, and 750GB HDs on the 6xSATA controller. I have the SSD as the boot drive and loaded with Win XP x64.

Whenever I switch it from IDE to RAID in the BIOS, the SSD can not boot. The scan that the RAID does sees the SSD (on SATA5) as a RAID device, even though I did not allocate it to an LD in the RAID utility.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to setup just the 4x500GB drives (on SATA1-4) to be a RAID 1+0, and still access the SSD as an IDE or ACHI device without having to rip this apart and reconfigure how all the drives are plugged in?

Thanks for any help you can give.
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2424 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck View Post
I have a question. I've built a new system with:

1 SATA SSD 64GB
1 SATA BD-ROM/DVD-RW
4x500GB SATA drives
1x750GB SATA drive

Right now, I have the 4x500GB, 64GB SSD, and 750GB HDs on the 6xSATA controller. I have the SSD as the boot drive and loaded with Win XP x64.

Whenever I switch it from IDE to RAID in the BIOS, the SSD can not boot. The scan that the RAID does sees the SSD (on SATA5) as a RAID device, even though I did not allocate it to an LD in the RAID utility.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to setup just the 4x500GB drives (on SATA1-4) to be a RAID 1+0, and still access the SSD as an IDE or ACHI device without having to rip this apart and reconfigure how all the drives are plugged in?

Thanks for any help you can give.
You have to re-do it all. Meaning, reformat, re-install, basically start from scratch. Don't forget to run Sanitary Erase on the SSD before you reinstall O/S. Do not format it only.

Sorry, forgot to mention, you're going to need to slipstream a XP x64 disk with the raid driver in it, or you will need a floppy to install the raid drivers during install. You can not do this after installing Windows in IDE mode as you've already seen.

To do what you want, you need to set-up the bios to utilize the sata controller in RAID. And, as you've seen, when you do this, the "IDE" mode drive (your SSD and 750) will no longer be usable as it was, different interface.

Then you will "cntr+f" during post to enter the RAID configuration utility.

Next create a RAID array, and add the drives you want in the array into it. Whatever drives you do not add into the array, will be used in AHCI mode as "JBOD's" (just a bunch of disks).

Then you will shut down and disconnect all drives except the SSD, this is important, because if you do not do this, then when you load windows it will utilize another drive with the MBR, and you do not want this.

Load windows on the SSD, boot into windows, install drivers and then shut down again.

Re-connect the other drives, verify they show up as an array and another single disk in the bios, and you are all set.

In windows Computer Management/Disk Management you can then reassign drive letters how you want them.

Good Luck!

Marc
Edited by mduclow - 11/28/09 at 1:52pm
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2425 of 9641
Thread Starter 
ok quick testing done. ACC +2% on core 2 yields pass! It never made it this far before! as you can see core 2 is still a little behind but no where near as far.
Black beauty
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k asus x99-a Gtx 770 G.skill ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
samsung 840 evo  WD black WD black Custom water 320 rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 21.5 led x3 Logitech g110 Corsair 850TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
technofront HWD Steelseries Xai WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
Black beauty
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k asus x99-a Gtx 770 G.skill ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
samsung 840 evo  WD black WD black Custom water 320 rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 21.5 led x3 Logitech g110 Corsair 850TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
technofront HWD Steelseries Xai WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2426 of 9641
Fair enough E.


As far as the one care running a bit faster, maybe set it to -2% in ACC... maybe that will slow it down enough...

As for me I can't get past running more than 2 cores @ 3.900Ghz on my 810. On Water

300 x 13 is where I'm with that and my Vcore is set to 1.625v (1.616v in CPU-Z)

If I run more than 2 cores (Start running prime95, Smfft's on 2 cores to start) in Prime95 SmFFT's, as Soon as I hit the okay button to start the 3 core Smfft test the PC Reboots (without the horizontal lines)...
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2427 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseaudio4 View Post
ok quick testing done. ACC +2% on core 2 yields pass! It never made it this far before! as you can see core 2 is still a little behind but no where near as far.
Awesome! Now we seem to have an idea on how to get that "very close to stable" clock, actually stable!

Good job, buddy!

Marc
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2428 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduclow View Post
You have to re-do it all. Meaning, reformat, re-install, basically start from scratch. Don't forget to run Sanitary Erase on the SSD before you reinstall O/S. Do not format it only.

Sorry, forgot to mention, you're going to need to slipstream a XP x64 disk with the raid driver in it, or you will need a floppy to install the raid drivers during install. You can not do this after installing Windows in IDE mode as you've already seen.

To do what you want, you need to set-up the bios to utilize the sata controller in RAID. And, as you've seen, when you do this, the "IDE" mode drive (your SSD and 750) will no longer be usable as it was, different interface.

Then you will "cntr+f" during post to enter the RAID configuration utility.

Next create a RAID array, and add the drives you want in the array into it. Whatever drives you do not add into the array, will be used in AHCI mode as "JBOD's" (just a bunch of disks).

Then you will shut down and disconnect all drives except the SSD, this is important, because if you do not do this, then when you load windows it will utilize another drive with the MBR, and you do not want this.

Load windows on the SSD, boot into windows, install drivers and then shut down again.

Re-connect the other drives, verify they show up as an array and another single disk in the bios, and you are all set.

In windows Computer Management/Disk Management you can then reassign drive letters how you want them.

Good Luck!

Marc
Thanks for the info!

A question:

Sanitary Erase: Do I run this from a bootable CD? Or in Windows? And, I have the Kingston SSD Now V+ 64GB...is it safe for that drive? (not sure it uses the Indilinx controller as I read it's good for)

I think I'm going to have to do the slipstream CD. Seems as though the FDD/Memory Card reader I have isn't working quite right. Go figure.

I'll give it a go. It might take me a few days. I have multiple projects going. I'll definitely let you know how it works out Thanks again
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2429 of 9641
BTW...I found this link for slipstreaming the XP CD in another section here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How...P-installation

If anyone else needs it, I hope this helps.
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2430 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck View Post
Thanks for the info!

A question:

Sanitary Erase: Do I run this from a bootable CD? Or in Windows? And, I have the Kingston SSD Now V+ 64GB...is it safe for that drive? (not sure it uses the Indilinx controller as I read it's good for)

I think I'm going to have to do the slipstream CD. Seems as though the FDD/Memory Card reader I have isn't working quite right. Go figure.

I'll give it a go. It might take me a few days. I have multiple projects going. I'll definitely let you know how it works out Thanks again
Not positive on the Sanitary Erase, maybe there is an equivilent for your drive. But formatting a flash drive isn't going to be the best thing performance wise.

Good luck with it!

Marc
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club