Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club - Page 349

post #3481 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxthunder View Post
Hey guys, having a little different type of problem with my mobo.
I am trying to install a physx/folding card, and when I put it in (8800gt) I installed in the 2nd from top PCIe slot, my 5870 is in the next one down (2nd from bottom) I get no POST information or display upon bootup, until windows loads, then the display will come on as normal. I have a dummy plug installed on the 8800gt. Is there a setting in the BIOS to which I can specify what slot has my main monitor or anything like that?
Clear CMOS and then boot?

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #3482 of 9641
Can anyone tell me what sort of ram can run at 1600 and decent timings on this board? I bought 2x2gb ddr3 1600 ripjaws cause they were on sale, but they have only given me trouble. I cant get stable past 1066 with auto timings, which is resulting in very poor performance. Unless I just don't have something set correct, let me know what to do.

Im using the 1.7 bios and 64bit windows 7 if that helps.
Black Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 C3 MSI 790FX-GD70 MSI 5850 2 x 2GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
RAID 0(2 x WD 500GB) + 1.5TB Data Windows 7 x64 Samsung T220hd Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Kingwin Mach 1 1000w Antec 1200 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 C3 MSI 790FX-GD70 MSI 5850 2 x 2GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
RAID 0(2 x WD 500GB) + 1.5TB Data Windows 7 x64 Samsung T220hd Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Kingwin Mach 1 1000w Antec 1200 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3483 of 9641
I can't even get 202mhz FSB to take my memory past 1600 speeds.

Currently running G.skill ddr3 1600 @ 8-8-8-24 @ 1.61v perfectly stable... However if I drop my CPU speed down, drop my HT and NB, and take my FSB to 202, it wont even post.. And thats with 12-12-12-30 @ 1.65! with the cpu and NB underclocked slightly.

Also I can't even begin to get stable JUST overclocking the CPU and leaving the memory at 1066, with the my cpu at 1.55v I can't get 3.8 stable! c3 965 with liquid cooling... I can boot into windows and play games fine at 4ghz at 1.6v, but wont even prime for 2 minutes at 3.8ghz at 1.55... And crashes instantly if I prime at 4ghz at 1.6v..

I haven't even began to mess with the north bridge, I always spend about a hour just trying to get a stable 'decent' overclock and it seems like I get terrible speeds compared to other people, then I just go back to stock and give up for the day

Just tried again, same settings, at 201, and 200. 201 wont even post, 200 makes it to bios, but says bad checksum error and gives me option to enter setup or load default values and continue... Only settings I even have adjusted are cpu droped from 3.4 to 3.2, NB at 1800, and ht at 1800, and memory running 1600@ 12-12-12-30 @ 1.65
Edited by Towlieee - 1/8/10 at 4:14pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD phenom II 965be c3 MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 MSI 6870 MSI 6870 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB G.SKILL 1600@8-8-8-24 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 Windows 7 22" AOC LED monitor, and a 22" LCD dell.  
Power
OCZ StealthXStream 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD phenom II 965be c3 MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 MSI 6870 MSI 6870 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB G.SKILL 1600@8-8-8-24 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 Windows 7 22" AOC LED monitor, and a 22" LCD dell.  
Power
OCZ StealthXStream 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3484 of 9641
Ok scratch that apparently I'm not even stable at 1600@8-8-8-24. It primed all night fine, but memtest fails instantly




memtest says "settings : RAM : 566 MHz (ddr1133) / CAS : 2.5-3-0-5 / DDR-1... ?? What does that mean?

edit: Ok memtest now says same thing except 2.5-6-0-5.. After I all memory settings to auto except 1600!
re-edit: ok this is rediculous, prime stable all night, and mem test ALWAYS fails at the same point no matter what my settings or speed is. Now at 1333 at auto timings with 1.65v, and it fails in the exact same spot in mem test, and shows I'm supposedly running 2.5-1-0-1 timings..

And one last update before I call it a night on the overclocking... memory at 800 auto settings, cpu nb ht at stock, mem test fails first pass, everything looks like every other fail, except now it say cas: 3-0-0-0
Edited by Towlieee - 1/8/10 at 4:39pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD phenom II 965be c3 MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 MSI 6870 MSI 6870 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB G.SKILL 1600@8-8-8-24 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 Windows 7 22" AOC LED monitor, and a 22" LCD dell.  
Power
OCZ StealthXStream 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD phenom II 965be c3 MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 MSI 6870 MSI 6870 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB G.SKILL 1600@8-8-8-24 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 Windows 7 22" AOC LED monitor, and a 22" LCD dell.  
Power
OCZ StealthXStream 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3485 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by troublebrewing View Post
Can anyone tell me what sort of ram can run at 1600 and decent timings on this board? I bought 2x2gb ddr3 1600 ripjaws cause they were on sale, but they have only given me trouble. I cant get stable past 1066 with auto timings, which is resulting in very poor performance. Unless I just don't have something set correct, let me know what to do.

Im using the 1.7 bios and 64bit windows 7 if that helps.
You should set the timings AND voltage to what they are supposed to be set to
post #3486 of 9641
Try each stick one at a time in each of the slots. See if a slot, or a stick is bad.

Marc
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3487 of 9641
whats up,

got this motherboard a few days ago in my first computer build. I have a XFX 5870, can it go into any one of the four PCI-E slots? I only have room for it in the 2nd slot down, and I read in the manual it was a PCI-E x8 slot not x16 slot. If im only running ONE card will it run it at x16 in any slot??

Heres the pic so you can see where I put it:

I know its messy but I did the best I could with the cables, it's my first build and I'm 15.

Thanks
Edited by solidsteel - 1/8/10 at 7:20pm
Blue Steel
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX Radeon HD 5870 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Sony Optaric Windows 7 Professional Acer H233H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Corsair 750 Watt Lian Li PC-K62 Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Steel
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX Radeon HD 5870 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Sony Optaric Windows 7 Professional Acer H233H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Corsair 750 Watt Lian Li PC-K62 Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3488 of 9641
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsteel View Post
whats up,

got this motherboard a few days ago in my first computer build. I have a XFX 5870, can it go into any one of the four PCI-E slots? I only have room for it in the 2nd slot down, and I read in the manual it was a PCI-E x8 slot not x16 slot. If im only running ONE card will it run it at x16 in any slot??

Heres the pic so you can see where I put it:

I know its messy but I did the best I could with the cables, it's my first build and I'm 15.

Thanks
It would be best if you ran it in the slot above or the slot below.
Why cant you run it in the top slot?
The way to check if it is running 16X would be to DL gpu-z and look in the bottom right. That will tell you if it is running @ 8x or 16x.

Also not to shabby
Black beauty
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k asus x99-a Gtx 770 G.skill ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
samsung 840 evo  WD black WD black Custom water 320 rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 21.5 led x3 Logitech g110 Corsair 850TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
technofront HWD Steelseries Xai WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
Black beauty
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k asus x99-a Gtx 770 G.skill ripjaws 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
samsung 840 evo  WD black WD black Custom water 320 rad 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Asus 21.5 led x3 Logitech g110 Corsair 850TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
technofront HWD Steelseries Xai WOWPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3489 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduclow View Post
Try each stick one at a time in each of the slots. See if a slot, or a stick is bad.

Marc
Right on I'll give that a shot tomorrow when I'm back home

Is there any chance memtest is somehow messing up? Is there a good in windows memory tester? It always fails at the exact same point in memtest on all settings. But I guess that still doesn't explain why it failed to post at 201 lol

Just to clarify, to simply test my max memory mhz, I just need to drop my NB multiplier so I don't go over 2k, drop cpu multiplier so I don't go over stock clock, and HT so it doesn't go over 2k, then just set manual voltage and adjust the FSB? (all timings on auto, or just set at a lot higher settings then what the memory is rated)

I've been overclocking for a good 5-6+ years, just haven't done much reading on it in 3+ years, and haven't spent time overclocking multicores yet.. Been out of the loop a long while and a lot has changed
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD phenom II 965be c3 MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 MSI 6870 MSI 6870 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB G.SKILL 1600@8-8-8-24 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 Windows 7 22" AOC LED monitor, and a 22" LCD dell.  
Power
OCZ StealthXStream 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD phenom II 965be c3 MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 MSI 6870 MSI 6870 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB G.SKILL 1600@8-8-8-24 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 Windows 7 22" AOC LED monitor, and a 22" LCD dell.  
Power
OCZ StealthXStream 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3490 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towlieee View Post
I can't even get 202mhz FSB to take my memory past 1600 speeds.

Currently running G.skill ddr3 1600 @ 8-8-8-24 @ 1.61v perfectly stable... However if I drop my CPU speed down, drop my HT and NB, and take my FSB to 202, it wont even post.. And thats with 12-12-12-30 @ 1.65! with the cpu and NB underclocked slightly.

Also I can't even begin to get stable JUST overclocking the CPU and leaving the memory at 1066, with the my cpu at 1.55v I can't get 3.8 stable! c3 965 with liquid cooling... I can boot into windows and play games fine at 4ghz at 1.6v, but wont even prime for 2 minutes at 3.8ghz at 1.55... And crashes instantly if I prime at 4ghz at 1.6v..

I haven't even began to mess with the north bridge, I always spend about a hour just trying to get a stable 'decent' overclock and it seems like I get terrible speeds compared to other people, then I just go back to stock and give up for the day

Just tried again, same settings, at 201, and 200. 201 wont even post, 200 makes it to bios, but says bad checksum error and gives me option to enter setup or load default values and continue... Only settings I even have adjusted are cpu droped from 3.4 to 3.2, NB at 1800, and ht at 1800, and memory running 1600@ 12-12-12-30 @ 1.65
1.) Your CPU-NB is the IMC if you didn't know. (Integrated Memory Controller) It's frequency shuold be "At Least" three time the Speed of your Ram for proper performance! Which means that if you have Ram @ 1600Mhz (It's really 800Mhz like it says in CPU-Z) the CPU-NB should be at least 2400+. The Voltage range on the AM3 Phenom II's is from 1.15v to 1.3 (Stock).

2.) I can tell you right now that you don't have enough voltage on that Ram. AM3 Phenom II's, for some reason, need a little more juice going to the Ram. I thinkt hat it's mostly due to the fact that the Dram also acts as an "Auxilary" Voltage for the IMC. So normally it's a good idea if you set your Ram votlage to at least .05v Above it's Minumum Rated Voltage (Stock). Sometimes it may need more. But before you give it more than the typical +.05v try adjusting the CPU DDR-PHJY Voltage (setting right above the Dram Voltage) to 1.25v to see if that aids in stability first.

And from what I hear be careful of adding anything above 1.55v to this CPU. I'm not sure if it just flat out causes to much heat or if it just to much voltage. Spec might know.



Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsteel View Post
whats up,

got this motherboard a few days ago in my first computer build. I have a XFX 5870, can it go into any one of the four PCI-E slots? I only have room for it in the 2nd slot down, and I read in the manual it was a PCI-E x8 slot not x16 slot. If im only running ONE card will it run it at x16 in any slot??

Heres the pic so you can see where I put it:

I know its messy but I did the best I could with the cables, it's my first build and I'm 15.

Thanks
Nice looking tower you got there Bud! Okay, IIRC, all Video Cards under the 5870 will not utilize the even the Full x8. An ATI 5870 will and only go about 2-3% above that which is not even enough to notice. BUT, luckily, Slots 1 and 4 (the 3rd PCI-E blue slot) Supports x16 operation... So you should use that one. Might want to mount the Stock AMD CPU fan to you NB/MOSFET heat sink right over the NB to aid in cooling being that those card produce wuite a bit of heat off of the top of them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towlieee View Post
Right on I'll give that a shot tomorrow when I'm back home

Is there any chance memtest is somehow messing up? Is there a good in windows memory tester? It always fails at the exact same point in memtest on all settings. But I guess that still doesn't explain why it failed to post at 201 lol

Just to clarify, to simply test my max memory mhz, I just need to drop my NB multiplier so I don't go over 2k, drop cpu multiplier so I don't go over stock clock, and HT so it doesn't go over 2k, then just set manual voltage and adjust the FSB? (all timings on auto, or just set at a lot higher settings then what the memory is rated)

I've been overclocking for a good 5-6+ years, just haven't done much reading on it in 3+ years, and haven't spent time overclocking multicores yet.. Been out of the loop a long while and a lot has changed
First set your CPU-NB to 2400-2600Mhz, the CPU-NB Voltage to 1.25-1.30v and the NB, (edit)HT Link and SB Chipsets Volts to 1.25v leaving the CPU at stock speeds and +.05 voltage for now. Remember your focusing on Ram Speeds but the raise in Mhz on the HT Ref Clock (What used be the FSB but it's different now) will need some extra volts above Stock.

1.) You want to start off by having your Ram in the Blue Slots on the Motherboard, especially if you want higher frequencies. Being that DDR3 Ram has on Die termination now you want to make sure that you have the ram installed in the Farthest from CPU Slots to Avoid and Signal Ringing that could cause instability. It's like a Nike Commercial... "Just Do It!" lol

2.) You want to have your CPU-NB (IMC) 3 times the speed of your Ram. Ram @ 1600= 800mhz x3 = 2400 CPU-NB or greater!

3.) Go into "Advanced Dram Config" in Cell Menu and Change the DCT Mode to "BOTH" Not DCT1 or DCT2. BOTH. And set the Ram setting Manually (LOOK at number 4 below.

4.) Start @ Ram Strap 1:4 (Setting right above where you read your Ram speed in the Cell Menu), Raise you timings +2CL. So, if Ram is Stock @ CL 8-8-8-24 @ 1.60v, set it to 10-10-10-30 @ 1.65v and add a few MHz at a time, Testing using Prime95 Blend Mode until you reach an instable frequency.
NOTES:

If you can't get past 200 with stability, then you need to forget about ram, lower it down to 1066 or less and focus on how high you can get your HT Ref Clock (the 200mhz). because without that, you won't be able to go any higher than 1600Mhz on your ram.

If you would rather know for sure, go ahead and start with the HT ref Clock Max Mhz before the Ram. That way it out of the equation....

Hope this helped and good luck!
What version of Memtest are you using? I think that the best one right now for DDR3 is Memtest 4.0, IIRC.
Edited by Mastiffman - 1/8/10 at 11:14pm
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club