Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club - Page 382

post #3811 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsk3rd View Post
Please do this. I would love to see if this true and that the 955 is just a ocing beast.
please do what? I tried the 965 and it was rather crap on the stock cooler compared to this 955. I'm about ready to try phase on this 955. I might go ahead and do that here in a bit.
Always Changing
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
12 threads of euphemism Bash me! It's not your color! Loose. THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! Just enough for all my cp 
OSMonitorPower
linux for gaming plethora of pixels plethora of watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Always Changing
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
12 threads of euphemism Bash me! It's not your color! Loose. THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! Just enough for all my cp 
OSMonitorPower
linux for gaming plethora of pixels plethora of watts 
  hide details  
Reply

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #3812 of 9641
I need some help, or rather some advice. I could just go do what I think needs to be done but that won't get me far if I farther brake this Mobo. I attached some pics, on the heatsink I should wipe off that pink gunk but leave the white stuff outlining it and apply a dab this big () of AS-5 in the middle of the spots on the heatsink? For both the North and South bridges, and then on the actual chips should I wipe them down with alcohol to get the pink gunk off? Or should the TIM be applyed to the chip itself?

My baby girl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASrock z77 Extreme 4 GTX 560 TI 16GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 240GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 1080p Corsair 650W 
Case
CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
My baby girl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASrock z77 Extreme 4 GTX 560 TI 16GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 240GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 1080p Corsair 650W 
Case
CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3813 of 9641
yes leave the white padding. put new paste on.
Always Changing
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
12 threads of euphemism Bash me! It's not your color! Loose. THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! Just enough for all my cp 
OSMonitorPower
linux for gaming plethora of pixels plethora of watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Always Changing
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
12 threads of euphemism Bash me! It's not your color! Loose. THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! Just enough for all my cp 
OSMonitorPower
linux for gaming plethora of pixels plethora of watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3814 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markisa View Post
No, it wasn't OCed. All voltages were on auto and CPU + NB were on auto Only my RAM is set to its proper timings which is considered OC. I got into bios and swap to 'fail safe' defaults and still HT error. It happens after about 20 seconds or so every time, so It is probably the whole heat issue. : /
Exactly what kind of ram are you using? 3x2GB sticks won't work right with this board. Try using only 2x2GB.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 C3 4GHz MSI-790FX-GD70 2xSapphire HD4890 CF G.Skill Eco 1600MHz, 2.8NB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
4x500GB RAID_0 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 1000W Xion 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 C3 4GHz MSI-790FX-GD70 2xSapphire HD4890 CF G.Skill Eco 1600MHz, 2.8NB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
4x500GB RAID_0 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 1000W Xion 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3815 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markisa View Post
I need some help, or rather some advice. I could just go do what I think needs to be done but that won't get me far if I farther brake this Mobo. I attached some pics, on the heatsink I should wipe off that pink gunk but leave the white stuff outlining it and apply a dab this big () of AS-5 in the middle of the spots on the heatsink? For both the North and South bridges, and then on the actual chips should I wipe them down with alcohol to get the pink gunk off? Or should the TIM be applyed to the chip itself?
Yes wipe off the pink stuff and leave the silver thing as it makes contact with the rest of the board I believe... I have yet to take mine off and look at it.

Maybe I'll setup a DIY guide when I do mine

You only need to put the thermal compound on one side doesn't matter which since it will squeeze it out between the 2 parts when u put it back together.
PROTON
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2699 v4 EVGA X99 Classified ASUS STRIX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 750 PCI-E NVME SSD  4 x 4TB SATA 6Gbps in RAID5 Lite-On DVD DL+ Burner Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Ultimate x64 BenQ 32" 4K BL3201PH Microsoft Ergonomic EVGA SuperNova 1300W PSU 
CaseMouseOtherOther
Corsair 800D Logitech G5 Laser Samsung 960 PRO 1TB M.2 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 
  hide details  
Reply
PROTON
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2699 v4 EVGA X99 Classified ASUS STRIX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 750 PCI-E NVME SSD  4 x 4TB SATA 6Gbps in RAID5 Lite-On DVD DL+ Burner Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Ultimate x64 BenQ 32" 4K BL3201PH Microsoft Ergonomic EVGA SuperNova 1300W PSU 
CaseMouseOtherOther
Corsair 800D Logitech G5 Laser Samsung 960 PRO 1TB M.2 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3816 of 9641
Nice. I think that he was referring to testing the 965 for a bit like I was referring to, just see if it was the lack OCing for a few from being out of the board compared to the 955 being OC'd for a few...

Anyway, this is my Current OC and working on getting it higher. I REALLY wish that I could find a "Low Volt" version of my Ram for a good price. I'm trying to get this to 4.0+ with 3Ghz Nb and 1700mhz CL6 ram. it's wokring so far and I only have another 35-38Mhz on my Ram to go.. I will most likely end up with 1720Mhz Cl6 Ram, Just over 4Ghz on the CPU and Just over 3ghz on the NB....

THIS ONE is Prime95 BLEND Stable for over 5hours now...


Edited by Mastiffman - 1/19/10 at 1:44pm
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply
SAM3 Water Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 C3 955 @ 4.1Ghz w/3Ghz NB MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire VAPOR-X 5770 1060/1515mhz 4Gb Kit OCZ FlexEX WaterCooled 1600mhz 6-6-6-18 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 32Gb, WD Green 500Gb, WD Green 2Tb 1x Sammy DVD/ 1x LiteOn BD-Rom Windows 7 Professional 64bit Acer H243H 24" 1080P HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Media Raidmax 850W Silverstone Raven RV02B-W Labtech 
Mouse Pad
Gen 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3817 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCrat View Post
Exactly what kind of ram are you using? 3x2GB sticks won't work right with this board. Try using only 2x2GB.
Gskill 2gbx3DIMMs 1600 MHz RAM. My NB obserd temps doesn't have anything to do with running 3 DIMMs. . thats really least of my worries. I'm gonna clean off the pink off both the heatsink and the chip on the board now and apply probably directly to the chips, I'll see which seems easier. Thanks for replys.
My baby girl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASrock z77 Extreme 4 GTX 560 TI 16GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 240GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 1080p Corsair 650W 
Case
CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
My baby girl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASrock z77 Extreme 4 GTX 560 TI 16GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 240GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 1080p Corsair 650W 
Case
CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3818 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markisa View Post
Gskill 2gbx3DIMMs 1600 MHz RAM. My NB obserd temps doesn't have anything to do with running 3 DIMMs. . thats really least of my worries. I'm gonna clean off the pink off both the heatsink and the chip on the board now and apply probably directly to the chips, I'll see which seems easier. Thanks for replys.
Make and model please. Dual channel work a lot better when you have 2 or 4 slots populated. If your ram is triple channel than you definitely have a problem.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 C3 4GHz MSI-790FX-GD70 2xSapphire HD4890 CF G.Skill Eco 1600MHz, 2.8NB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
4x500GB RAID_0 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 1000W Xion 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 C3 4GHz MSI-790FX-GD70 2xSapphire HD4890 CF G.Skill Eco 1600MHz, 2.8NB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
4x500GB RAID_0 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 1000W Xion 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3819 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCrat View Post
Make and model please. Dual channel work a lot better when you have 2 or 4 slots populated. If your ram is triple channel than you definitely have a problem.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231225

Yea, its triple channel >,< tho I still don't believe thats why my Northbridge hits 80-90C? Or is it? Millions of RAM errors per second = my NB on fire? Lol.
My baby girl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASrock z77 Extreme 4 GTX 560 TI 16GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 240GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 1080p Corsair 650W 
Case
CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
My baby girl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASrock z77 Extreme 4 GTX 560 TI 16GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung Evo 240GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 1080p Corsair 650W 
Case
CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3820 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
please do what? I tried the 965 and it was rather crap on the stock cooler compared to this 955. I'm about ready to try phase on this 955. I might go ahead and do that here in a bit.
You said you were thinking of getting another 955 to see if if they clocked the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Nice. I think that he was referring to testing the 965 for a bit like I was referring to, just see if it was the lack OCing for a few from being out of the board compared to the 955 being OC'd for a few...

Anyway, this is my Current OC and working on getting it higher. I REALLY wish that I could find a "Low Volt" version of my Ram for a good price. I'm trying to get this to 4.0+ with 3Ghz Nb and 1700mhz CL6 ram. it's wokring so far and I only have another 35-38Mhz on my Ram to go.. I will most likely end up with 1720Mhz Cl6 Ram, Just over 4Ghz on the CPU and Just over 3ghz on the NB....

THIS ONE is Prime95 BLEND Stable for over 5hours now...

That's awesome mastiff.
For Sale: Swiftech H220
$80 (USD) or best offer
  
Reply
For Sale: Swiftech H220
$80 (USD) or best offer
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club