Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club - Page 584

post #5831 of 9641
the RTFM chip thing was a big joke some one that worked the forums did so they say O_o

Heres what they had to say ====
RTFM-chip was a joke for April fools.

Hi there,

We are sorry people took this for prank for serious.

Nobody seem to have wondered what RTFM really means.
If you put the term in Google, you will find it is telling you to read the manual.

Just think, how would a chip check if you read manuals?
We thought of this prank after answering the many posts where people ask the obvious that is already in the manual.

But we learned a valuable lesson, no more April-fools jokes from the forum, a 10 year old thing just died.

Sorry that you took it for real and got mad.
===
URL to the post
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=136959.0

man just reading that gave me a headache .
i think it was a dumb thing to do really , even though it was a joke it is bad for business to degrade or threaten your costumers even if some of them are idiots that don't take the time to read up on info , not that the manual has much worth wile .
forums like this are gold mines of info for noobs that want to take the time to do things right .
im sure most of you aren't but iza nub

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #5832 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampz View Post
the RTFM chip thing was a big joke some one that worked the forums did so they say O_o

Heres what they had to say ====
RTFM-chip was a joke for April fools.

Hi there,

We are sorry people took this for prank for serious.

Nobody seem to have wondered what RTFM really means.
If you put the term in Google, you will find it is telling you to read the manual.

Just think, how would a chip check if you read manuals?
We thought of this prank after answering the many posts where people ask the obvious that is already in the manual.

But we learned a valuable lesson, no more April-fools jokes from the forum, a 10 year old thing just died.

Sorry that you took it for real and got mad.
===
URL to the post
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=136959.0

man just reading that gave me a headache .
i think it was a dumb thing to do really , even though it was a joke it is bad for business to degrade or threaten your costumers even if some of them are idiots that don't take the time to read up on info , not that the manual has much worth wile .
forums like this are gold mines of info for noobs that want to take the time to do things right .
im sure most of you aren't but iza nub
You are right,it's a load of b######t,i thought april fools was on the 1st of april,LOL!!!
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5833 of 9641
Okay, I am having an issue with my mobo. I hope one of you guys can help.

I have 2 OCZ SSDs and 4 500GB HDs on the 6 port SB750 RAID controller, and then a BD-ROM/DVD-RW and 750GB HD (which is in a removable bay) on the 2 JMicron ports.

As it stands when the machine boots through BIOS, it shows my 6 drives on the SB750 controller in their RAID configs just fine.

When it goes to show the JMicron-attached drives, one or the other will show up...but not both. When I remove the 750GB drive and reboot, the ATAPI BD/DVD drive shows up in the JMicron device info. However, Windows XP x64 Pro will not use the drive at all for some reason.

I am flustered with this, because it seems that no matter what I do the mobo either keeps randomly losing the ACC setting, or the BIOS config morphs to something different, etc.

I have Bios 1.07. Does anyone know if this is a bad BIOS?

I am beginning to have doubts about having bought this mobo now. I might have just got dud, or it could be that the RAID controller design is just a POS.

I really need some direction if anyone else has had this issue. Do I flash to a newer BIOS? Reset the CMOS?

If I can't find something to resolve all this, I might just go buy an ASUS mobo and be done with it. I have spent too many evenings trying to figure out how to get my BD/DVD drive to work again so I can actually install software to my computer again.

Thanks for any help I can get.

jck
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5834 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck View Post
Okay, I am having an issue with my mobo. I hope one of you guys can help.

I have 2 OCZ SSDs and 4 500GB HDs on the 6 port SB750 RAID controller, and then a BD-ROM/DVD-RW and 750GB HD (which is in a removable bay) on the 2 JMicron ports.

As it stands when the machine boots through BIOS, it shows my 6 drives on the SB750 controller in their RAID configs just fine.

When it goes to show the JMicron-attached drives, one or the other will show up...but not both. When I remove the 750GB drive and reboot, the ATAPI BD/DVD drive shows up in the JMicron device info. However, Windows XP x64 Pro will not use the drive at all for some reason.

I am flustered with this, because it seems that no matter what I do the mobo either keeps randomly losing the ACC setting, or the BIOS config morphs to something different, etc.

I have Bios 1.07. Does anyone know if this is a bad BIOS?

I am beginning to have doubts about having bought this mobo now. I might have just got dud, or it could be that the RAID controller design is just a POS.

I really need some direction if anyone else has had this issue. Do I flash to a newer BIOS? Reset the CMOS?

If I can't find something to resolve all this, I might just go buy an ASUS mobo and be done with it. I have spent too many evenings trying to figure out how to get my BD/DVD drive to work again so I can actually install software to my computer again.

Thanks for any help I can get.

jck
When using the two "jmicron" ports,they require drivers,and if you have set "raid" in the bios for the sata ports,you cant raid an hdd with a optical drive,it wont work.

Jmicron has never been any good really,better off not using those ports.
Edited by moorhen2 - 3/26/10 at 6:19am
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5835 of 9641
@jck -- Sorry buddy, I don't think I can help here. I've never used the JMicron ports for anything.

This is probably unnecessary, but you do not have the sata cables folded to 90 degrees or anything like that, do you? You do have them set as raid in the bios, right? This way they should show as JBoD's (just a bunch of disks), as opposed to being in a RAID array. I'll go check the bios after posting this and edit if I find something worth commenting on.

Also, do you mean you have bios 1.7 (mentioned 1.07)? I have found that one (1.7) to be a pretty solid bios.

Marc

EDIT: Found this on the interent searching about the JMB322 controller, don't know if you've seen it as well.

"Re: JMB322 controller connected drives not appearing in windows

For other people's future reference. I got it working.

After installing the new driver
(he means a JMB322 driver) it didn't work until I reset the BIOS to defaults and then reconfigured the drives to Normal mode.

Now it's working and I have 9 HDDs and one CD-ROM showing in Windows as it should be.

Thanks for the help everyone."

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/jmb3...windows-34457/

Check this out too, a bit more detail on the JMB322 controller:
http://www.jmicron.com/PDF/JMB32X/JMB322.pdf

Another forum thread on this issue, that seems to have been resolved:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
Edited by mduclow - 3/26/10 at 6:52am
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
First H2O o/c
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 9590 Asus Sabertooth 990FX Asus HD 7870 Crucial 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samasung 840 Pro 256GB SATA DVD burner DangerDen H20 W 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
2 x 22" Acers Corsair TX-950w CM - HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5836 of 9641
@jck,i would move two of your hard drives from the souhbridge controller,and put you odd HDD and optical drive on there,and put the matching hdd's on the jmicron controller.
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5837 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhen2 View Post
When using the two "jmicron" ports,they require drivers,and if you have set "raid" in the bios for the sata ports,you cant raid an hdd with a optical drive,it wont work.

Jmicron has never been any good really,better off not using those ports.
Yeah, I know you can't raid them. Just that you have to set the RAID setting, then afterward you add one drive at a time and it detects them as JBOD.

funny thing is, the DVD drive worked with the hard drive 2-3 weeks ago, and I've done no BIOS updates or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduclow View Post
@jck -- Sorry buddy, I don't think I can help here. I've never used the JMicron ports for anything.
Yeah, that's becoming a theme I see. JMicron ports = bad.

Quote:
This is probably unnecessary, but you do not have the sata cables folded to 90 degrees or anything like that, do you? You do have them set as raid in the bios, right? This way they should show as JBoD's (just a bunch of disks), as opposed to being in a RAID array. I'll go check the bios after posting this and edit if I find something worth commenting on.

Also, do you mean you have bios 1.7 (mentioned 1.07)? I have found that one (1.7) to be a pretty solid bios.

Marc
Nah. Haven't overbent the cables. Even tried new, out of the pack SATA cables I had in reserve for future machine building. Didn't help.

They are on RAID, and set to AHCI and not IDE. They used to work. A couple weeks ago, they quit. The only thing I've done is upgrade the processor. Maybe that is what freaked out the BIOS/CMOS?

Quote:
EDIT: Found this on the interent searching about the JMB322 controller, don't know if you've seen it as well.

"Re: JMB322 controller connected drives not appearing in windows

For other people's future reference. I got it working.

After installing the new driver
(he means a JMB322 driver) it didn't work until I reset the BIOS to defaults and then reconfigured the drives to Normal mode.

Now it's working and I have 9 HDDs and one CD-ROM showing in Windows as it should be.

Thanks for the help everyone."

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/jmb3...windows-34457/

Check this out too, a bit more detail on the JMB322 controller:
http://www.jmicron.com/PDF/JMB32X/JMB322.pdf

Another forum thread on this issue, that seems to have been resolved:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
I'll definitely check that out when I get home, Marc. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhen2 View Post
@jck,i would move two of your hard drives from the souhbridge controller,and put you odd HDD and optical drive on there,and put the matching hdd's on the jmicron controller.
This is where I have dilemmas, cause I thought of this:

1) I can't move 2 of 4 of the HDDs that are in RAID 10. That would split the array.

2) I don't want to move the 2 SSDs onto the JMicron controller, because I understand its throughput is not nearly what the SB750's is.

3) I paid almost $200 for the board, and I want to make it work for that much. Otherwise, it was a waste of money.

I just am frustrated. Like I said, I've been trying to figure out how to get the stinkin thing to talk to the BD/DVD again. I probably could have for $10 more got the Crosshair III mobo and (if it's RAID controllers are like the M2N32-SLi mobo I got a few years ago) not had any issues.

This is my first MSI board ever. Although it's overclocking tools/facilities are insane, this sporadically dropping the ACC setting frustrates me. It's almost like the motherboard is sticking its tongue out at me on occassion just to get attention from me.

Oh well. I'll try things tonight and, if I don't get mad in the process, let you guys know if anything good comes about.

Thanks
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5838 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck View Post
Yeah, I know you can't raid them. Just that you have to set the RAID setting, then afterward you add one drive at a time and it detects them as JBOD.

funny thing is, the DVD drive worked with the hard drive 2-3 weeks ago, and I've done no BIOS updates or anything.



Yeah, that's becoming a theme I see. JMicron ports = bad.



Nah. Haven't overbent the cables. Even tried new, out of the pack SATA cables I had in reserve for future machine building. Didn't help.

They are on RAID, and set to AHCI and not IDE. They used to work. A couple weeks ago, they quit. The only thing I've done is upgrade the processor. Maybe that is what freaked out the BIOS/CMOS?



I'll definitely check that out when I get home, Marc. Thanks



This is where I have dilemmas, cause I thought of this:

1) I can't move 2 of 4 of the HDDs that are in RAID 10. That would split the array.

2) I don't want to move the 2 SSDs onto the JMicron controller, because I understand its throughput is not nearly what the SB750's is.

3) I paid almost $200 for the board, and I want to make it work for that much. Otherwise, it was a waste of money.

I just am frustrated. Like I said, I've been trying to figure out how to get the stinkin thing to talk to the BD/DVD again. I probably could have for $10 more got the Crosshair III mobo and (if it's RAID controllers are like the M2N32-SLi mobo I got a few years ago) not had any issues.

This is my first MSI board ever. Although it's overclocking tools/facilities are insane, this sporadically dropping the ACC setting frustrates me. It's almost like the motherboard is sticking its tongue out at me on occassion just to get attention from me.

Oh well. I'll try things tonight and, if I don't get mad in the process, let you guys know if anything good comes about.

Thanks
I feel your pain mate,it must be so frustrating,not trying to be funny,but do you really need so many hdd's,just a thought.
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5839 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhen2 View Post
I feel your pain mate,it must be so frustrating,not trying to be funny,but do you really need so many hdd's,just a thought.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

I got the 4 HDDs to have RAID 10 so I'd have performance and redundancy.

I was gonna partially use this machine to start developing software (I own MS VS.NET 2003 Enterprise Architect) in hopes of maybe creating a variable practice office management/collaboration system.

If I have to (the things Marc posted links to don't work), I will consider buying 2 1-2TB drives and just RAID 1ing them. I just want to make sure I have redundancy + backups (the 750GB removable + Acronis = my other way of backing up 1 time a week, RAID 10 = performance + fail-safe backup 24/7).

I'll definitely let you know how it works out. Not sure when I can get to it now, as I have a cracked windshield in my new car to deal with tomorrow, and a mom who wants me to come fix her computer ASAP and they live 3 hours from me.

I need more "me" time.
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
2009-2010 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 555BE @ 3.96GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire 5850s 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ VertexII RAID0 + 2xSamsung F1s RAID0 Lite-On BD-ROM/DVD-RW WinXP Pro x64/Win 7 Pro x64/Kubuntu 9.10 x64 Acer G24 Ferrari 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
merc SteelSeries Enermax Evolution 1050W Azza Solano 1000 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5840 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck View Post
Thanks. I appreciate it.

I got the 4 HDDs to have RAID 10 so I'd have performance and redundancy.

I was gonna partially use this machine to start developing software (I own MS VS.NET 2003 Enterprise Architect) in hopes of maybe creating a variable practice office management/collaboration system.

If I have to (the things Marc posted links to don't work), I will consider buying 2 1-2TB drives and just RAID 1ing them. I just want to make sure I have redundancy + backups (the 750GB removable + Acronis = my other way of backing up 1 time a week, RAID 10 = performance + fail-safe backup 24/7).

I'll definitely let you know how it works out. Not sure when I can get to it now, as I have a cracked windshield in my new car to deal with tomorrow, and a mom who wants me to come fix her computer ASAP and they live 3 hours from me.

I need more "me" time.
Ok mate,i think the getting 2 bigger drives is the best option,i think 3-4 TB's total space would be the way to go.

I think we could all do with more "me time"LOL!!!
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
CORSAIR WC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
HASWELL-E 5960x (3423B529)Costa Rica + 5960X (J...  GIGABYTE X99 SOC Champion/ ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTR... 2X NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti's 16 GIG G-SKILL DDR4 3200/3300/3400 KITS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 4 256GB S... LG BD RE-WRITER1 X SAMSUNG 20X KOOLANCE 380I BLOCK 2X XSPC 360 RADS 1X XSPC 12...  WINDOWS 10 X64 BUILD 11099 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2X AOC 28" LED SAITEK ECLIPSE II SUPER FLOWER 1300W GOLD CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900D 
Mouse
LOGITECH MX1000 LASER 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club